Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are my best options to carry a kayak or surfboards on/with my Tesla Model 3, 2022? I did not yet buy the Tesla cross bars.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are my best options to carry a kayak or surfboards on/with my Tesla Model 3, 2022? I did not yet buy the Tesla cross bars.

Regarding base racks, your choices for the Model 3 in the US are:

* Model 3 Roof Rack , or
* Yakima Infolookup (see photos at the bottom of the page)

If you carry boats or boards directly on the crossbars or on pads wrapped around the crossbars, the crossbars sticking out past the tower in the Yakima setup may be helpful to create more ways to tie down to avoid sideways sliding. However, the rear crossbar distance between the towers ("M3" measurement) may be incorrect (too narrow) as listed, so when assembling, it may be necessary to adjust to keep the tower pads off the glass part of the roof.

There are also extension racks for long boats, such as these:

* https://www.goodboypaddlesports.com/
* Home

Here's my (12ft) Ocean Kayak Malibu Two on the Tesla roof rack. This was my first time installing the roof rack. It's not super fun to install, but really not that bad. Removal is easy.

This was all test fitting and I didn't drive anywhere. My kayak spot is 4 miles away on low speed roads so I'm not worried about noise or battery use.

I mounted the saddles closer to the passenger side for easier loading / unloading. I might move them so it is centered.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Reactions: Andrea Pier
Hood loop works great for trunk, not so great for frunk.
For the frunk, just put the strap through the locking loop on the hood.

I use a the Yakima BigCatch saddles to load my Kayak on my model 3.

Hook them onto the laundry hooks if you’re lucky enough to have them. 😂

On a serious note, does the hood loop not have a secure spot to lock into in the front trunk? I can see how that might be an issue. The front latch is clever idea. No issues closing the hood?

For two seasons we've been carrying a tandem kayak on my wife's MY using factory crossbars - the same as the M3 crossbars, just a couple of inches longer - and a Thule Slipstream rack. Works like a dream, even at highway speeds (although I do try to stick to the slow lane).

As others commented in this thread, my only frustration is a lack of good tiedown points. I have considered going to a body shop to see if they could mount something under the front faring. Has anyone tried a solution like that?

Hood loop works great for trunk, not so great for frunk.
For the frunk, just put the strap through the locking loop on the hood.

I use a the Yakima BigCatch saddles to load my Kayak on my model 3.

Finally got setup for kayaks. At first i tried the hood loop on the front trunk and quickly switched it out for the locking latch on the hood because the rattle was insane. Your suggestion was perfect. I also got the big catch saddles because my kayaks stack and i felt way more secure than racking them sideways.

My efficiency averaged 296 after about 30 miles round trip. My lifetime average is 276.

If anyone has a suggestion for loading as one person, would love to hear some ideas. I can load the kayaks together with my wife but some days i would like to go out on my own if she is working. I already looked at a suction cup roller but they don’t seem so secure and my kayaks are 60lbs each.

Attachments

• DDA51CE3-4C27-4C7B-B60C-59A91C240996.jpeg
    DDA51CE3-4C27-4C7B-B60C-59A91C240996.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 322
  • 6A204FED-652D-4512-BE6D-3B384823BC6D.jpeg
    6A204FED-652D-4512-BE6D-3B384823BC6D.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 330
Reactions: jimmyz80
Here's my (12ft) Ocean Kayak Malibu Two on the Tesla roof rack. This was my first time installing the roof rack. It's not super fun to install, but really not that bad. Removal is easy.

This was all test fitting and I didn't drive anywhere. My kayak spot is 4 miles away on low speed roads so I'm not worried about noise or battery use.

I mounted the saddles closer to the passenger side for easier loading / unloading. I might move them so it is centered.

View attachment 791948

View attachment 791949

View attachment 791950
View attachment 791951
How did it work, do you rwcommend? I have 2021 MY