I purchased a 2015 85D, which they requested I take delivery of in Paramus, NJ instead of Dedham, MA where the car was located. After a minor shipping delay, they confirmed it arrived, had no damage mechanical needs, and was ready for delivery. They requested I ACH the funds, which I did, and we scheduled the delivery date. They confirmed twice (delivery was scheduled for today), but I received a call early last evening and was informed about a safety issue (cracked windshield), and they told me the car could not be delivered and no ETA on a replacement. In fact, the representative suggested I might want to consider a different used Tesla if I could find one with similar features. Since the funds came from a bank loan, which has been disbursed a week ago, but I cannot accept delivery and have no ETA, can anyone suggest what optionsI might have?