TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What are my options?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by leepere, Jul 25, 2018.

1. leepere

leepere Member

Hey guys,

So I recently replaced the instrument cluster in my model s with another salvaged instrument cluster due to the bubbling issue so many of us have experienced. (was out of warranty)

I was told to wait for a software update to install, which I did. However the instrument cluster seems to still be tied to the old car and after applying update says "Software Update Required - Contact Tesla Service" on the bottom of the instrument cluster. The update also told me on the MCU it had failed.

What are my options here and how do I essentially "pair" this instrument cluster to the car? It still actually shows the old salvaged Tesla car name on the instrument cluster...

Thank you for any help or context you can provide.

2. appleguru

appleguru Member

The instrument cluster message is likely due to the firmware not matching on your MCU and IC.

I would start by going into dev/diag mode and seeing what error messages you have. Have never needed to do a redeploy like this, but if I had to guess I’d say swapping out the SD cards that contain the carkeys/vin/etc from old MCU to new might be a good place to start.

You may need toolbox (which tesla doesn’t share) or root access to really properly pair the new MCU with the car...

Have you reached out to the local service center to see if they would be willing to do a redeploy/re-pair for you if you pay for an hour or two of labor?

3. leepere

leepere Member

Thank you very much for the response appleguru. I am not sure how to get into the dev/diag mode. I have a remote tech coming out next week as I told him the update failed in hopes they would just fix it... By your comment my guess is they will figure out very quickly that its not the right cluster and it wasnt the updates fault?

• Like x 1
  4. appleguru

appleguru Member

I guess you’ll find out :p

• Like x 1
  5. leepere

leepere Member

As an FYI to all that come across the same issue as mine. I asked Tesla to force an update and I was good.

• Informative x 1