Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are my options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

So I recently replaced the instrument cluster in my model s with another salvaged instrument cluster due to the bubbling issue so many of us have experienced. (was out of warranty)

I was told to wait for a software update to install, which I did. However the instrument cluster seems to still be tied to the old car and after applying update says "Software Update Required - Contact Tesla Service" on the bottom of the instrument cluster. The update also told me on the MCU it had failed.

What are my options here and how do I essentially "pair" this instrument cluster to the car? It still actually shows the old salvaged Tesla car name on the instrument cluster...

Thank you for any help or context you can provide.

The instrument cluster message is likely due to the firmware not matching on your MCU and IC.

I would start by going into dev/diag mode and seeing what error messages you have. Have never needed to do a redeploy like this, but if I had to guess I’d say swapping out the SD cards that contain the carkeys/vin/etc from old MCU to new might be a good place to start.

You may need toolbox (which tesla doesn’t share) or root access to really properly pair the new MCU with the car...

Have you reached out to the local service center to see if they would be willing to do a redeploy/re-pair for you if you pay for an hour or two of labor?

Thank you very much for the response appleguru. I am not sure how to get into the dev/diag mode. I have a remote tech coming out next week as I told him the update failed in hopes they would just fix it... By your comment my guess is they will figure out very quickly that its not the right cluster and it wasnt the updates fault?

Reactions: MarkKW
Just ask them to push a firmware update to your car. As long as the IC isn’t on ancient firmware a redeploy or an update should get the MCU and IC on the same version.

If the IC is on much older firmware than the MCU, some manual work may be needed...

• Helpful
Reactions: jlv1
Just ask them to push a firmware update to your car. As long as the IC isn’t on ancient firmware a redeploy or an update should get the MCU and IC on the same version.

If the IC is on much older firmware than the MCU, some manual work may be needed...

Got it to work! Actually took 2 updates, the first one that I already had waiting got the screen to come on and it took another firmware push from tesla to get it on the same version. Thanks!

As an FYI to all that come across the same issue as mine. I asked Tesla to force an update and I was good.
I am about to purchase a replacement cluster from a newer model S. Just to be sure, your car now matches up the IC with the MCU and there are still no issues after the most recent updates? Did you just wait on the installation until a new update was available and then install the screen? Sorry if I am being overly basic, but this seems too good to be true!

MCU stores it, as does tesla which can update it remotely if you try and fiddle with it.
  1. So replacing your MCU with a newer one rolls back your odometer, as long as you don't let it connect to Tesla?
  2. So if their database gets corrupt like the recent options database (thread here), Tesla car mileages around the world will start auto adjusting to what their database says?