Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are some alternatives to buying homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait... I thought "HomeLink" cleaned the house, made the beds and vacuumed. All it does is open the garage door?? What the hell good is that?! How is it a "HomeLink" if it doesn't do anything in the house? That makes it a "GarageDoorLink".
I actually used the Homelink in a Nissan Titan to open and close the retractable tonneau cover. Just happened that it came with remotes that Homelink could learn.

I could use MyQ to open my home garage, but I also use my Homelink at work to get through the gate if I need to drop something if in the warehouse area. I can use my work badge, but using Homelink is so much easier.

We had homelink in our last 2 BMW’s but it required us to either add the ‘preminum’ or ‘convenience’ package. So not necessarily ’included’. With our Tesla we just used our smart garage door and added automation to open the door when we were in the drive way.

Just coming back to this thread (after I changed the thread title from "garage door" to something that more described the thread), but yeah, with BMW many things are "package X required" lol.

I always loaded em all up though, especially cause I was leasing and didnt have to worry about all the technogadgets breaking down during a long ownership period (with the BMWs).

I mentioned it up thread I think but I bought homelink for my wifes model Y that we just got in march of this year. My 2018 model 3 came with it, but I would have bought it anyway if it didnt.

I'm using a new "clicker" that we bought to keep in my 2022 Model YP.... does anyone else find that there is some sort of interference caused by the car that renders the clicker inoperable? We can open the garage on foot..but for some reason, not from inside the running vehicle. 🙄

Yes, these cars generate a lot of RFI (radio frequency interference). I believe that's why there's no AM radio despite highway signs to tune in to AM road alerts.

My clicker worked from several houses away on foot, but in the Tesla I had to drive right up to the door or turn off the car for it to work. Even holding the clicker out of the car's window didn't work when the car was on.

The solution was to put in a new garage door opener. It uses multiple frequencies for better resilience. It also has MyQ but that's a lot slower and clunkier.

Reactions: LostLuggage
Yes, these cars generate a lot of RFI (radio frequency interference). I believe that's why there's no AM radio despite highway signs to tune in to AM road alerts.

My clicker worked from several houses away on foot, but in the Tesla I had to drive right up to the door or turn off the car for it to work. Even holding the clicker out of the car's window didn't work when the car was on.

The solution was to put in a new garage door opener. It uses multiple frequencies for better resilience. It also has MyQ but that's a lot slower and clunkier.
Its surprising, but I suppose possible. Indeed there are a number of RF protocols for garage door operners (green button, purple button, etc). How old is the one that doesn't work inside a Tesla? Mine works fine (I think it is a "green button").

Its a nuisance to have to consider replacing the whole opener just because of this. I would make sure the battery is fresh. Also at least some have "interference avoidance" mechanisms (kinda like changing channels), so investigate that. Also some have adjustable frequencies inside the opener remote -- perhaps the remote is just slightly off frequency and needs to be recalibrated.I would probably do the WiFi switch solution first before changing out the whoie opener.

Its surprising, but I suppose possible. Indeed there are a number of RF protocols for garage door operners (green button, purple button, etc). How old is the one that doesn't work inside a Tesla? Mine works fine (I think it is a "green button").

Its a nuisance to have to consider replacing the whole opener just because of this. I would make sure the battery is fresh. Also at least some have "interference avoidance" mechanisms (kinda like changing channels), so investigate that. Also some have adjustable frequencies inside the opener remote -- perhaps the remote is just slightly off frequency and needs to be recalibrated.I would probably do the WiFi switch solution first before changing out the whoie opener.

The old door opener was from 2000. Single fixed frequency.

I tried various experiments including using the other clicker, new batteries, hold it up high and even outside the driver's window, checking the opener's antenna connection, powering off devices that might interfere, going through the manufacturer's troubleshooting steps, etc. None of that worked, but turning off the car worked. Walking down the street with the clicker worked.

The new one has WiFi. If an add-on WiFi switch works similarly, operating the door that way is slow and loud. Since the requester could be too far to observe if the path is clear, for safety the closing sequence makes a lot of noise, flashes its lights, and delays long enough for people to get out of the way.

I installed a Refoss smart Wi-Fi garage door opener with HomeKit. I can use Siri from my watch or phone and have an automation that automatically runs when I arrive at home. It has been very reliable so far. As a plus, we can see whether the door is opened or closed remotely. I believe it also is available for Alexa or Google Assistant.

I have had Homelink on my recent Audis and BMWs, but it always was included in a package that I wanted. I didn’t want to pay that much for essentially a clicker. HomeKit automation is pretty easy to live with. My wife complained about how complex it all seemed until it was setup now she prefers it this way.

When I say HomeKit automatically opens the door, it asks a question to confirm on the watch requiring a touch. There are ways to set this up without the confirmation.

When I used to use a clicke, I would clip it into the driver door pocket so it was readily at hand but invisible.

I don't really see what the advantage is over using a garage door 'clicker'. From what I can gather, homelink is simply a module that learns your GD code and integrates it into the Tesla system.

The buttons on one of my openers are getting a little worn, so I considered just buying a 3rd party clicker on Amazon for a fraction of Homelink.

Maybe someone can answer why using the Tesla OS is more beneficial than simply pushing a button? I am guessing Homelink opens the door automatically without any intervention. Batteries can go dead in clickers, so maybe that's another consideration, although I would just keep a spare battery.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I don't really see what the advantage is over using a garage door 'clicker'. From what I can gather, homelink is simply a module that learns your GD code and integrates it into the Tesla system.

The buttons on one of my openers are getting a little worn, so I considered just buying a 3rd party clicker on Amazon for a fraction of Homelink.

Maybe someone can answer why using the Tesla OS is more beneficial than simply pushing a button? I am guessing Homelink opens the door automatically without any intervention. Batteries can go dead in clickers, so maybe that's another consideration, although I would just keep a spare battery.

With the clicker, someone can smash your window and boom - they’re in your home. With Homelink, they can’t access it.

Also can geofence door open/close when you arrive/leave home. So there’s at least a little automation there.

So there ya go. Those are the two reasons I can think of ….

It is a matter of preference, IMO (I am one who thinks it is beneficial and was very happy MyQ got added, as I had been using Tailwind). Someone can ask why FSD is more beneficial than driving on your own and for some it isn’t worth the money. For others it is. I will say the cars are pretty high tech so, it goes along with the theme…your car does that for you. So you don’t need a clicker because, “your car does it for you “.

Its just easier than having a clicker to be honest. Plus I don't think Homelink does it, but the new Myq integration automatically opens and closes the door which is pretty cool. I won't pay 45 dollars a year for it, so I did my own with the MyQ app and LiveKey App which isn't perfect but does the job. Also, the clicker as you said can break battery die etc. You can get the MyQ device for 1 dollar shipping from the car screen and at the very least have an app on your phone that can do the garage door if your clicker breaks, plus the app works from anywhere.

Convenience and aesthetics are one reason. It on some cases or can also reduce clutter. In previous vehicles with homelink, I used it to open gates to apartments and condos I lived at that could not be programmed to the same garage remote.

Currently, I have a gate that I rarely access at work preferred to it for those times I need to pull into that area. Saves me the trouble of getting out and using my work badge to open the gate to get in. To get out. I would have to punch in a code.

When I had a truck years ago, I learned that I can also control the Pace Edwards electronic tonneau cover with it as it came with keychain remotes. Used one button to open the cover and one to close it. Didn't need to bother wiring a switch to the inside of the cab. Not that we can install a tonneau, but who knows what other users people can come up with...

Thanks guys.

Pros and cons I guess. I have two garages and sometimes put different cars in the garage, so not always the same. Most of the time it is. I have my home set up as a smart home on Alexa and I knew there were GD options I could buy for it, but I am doubtful those come with a geo location feature that opens the door when I arrive. In addition Alexa is linking up to a server. I also have some Google smart home hardware, but have not looked into Google's ecosystem concerning garage doors. Many GD openers now come with a wifi/smart home capability. My opener is a 'dumb' opener in that it only has the radio controlled clicker(s).

I would love to have the geo open feature most of the time. Not as familiar with Myq. I remember reading it is something that can integrate into Tesla OS. If it's a sub though I am not interested. I understand Homelink is also a sub. Not interested. I just cancelled half a dozen subs recently due to me not using them....so I guess I will need to look at other alternatives. I am leaning toward just hiding a clicker on velcro since I won't be opening any gates or anything else other than my GDs. I have a homelink system one of my thermostats uses for remote sensors. Not sure if there would be a way I could take advatage of that. I don't pay a subscription for that.

I would love to have the geo open feature most of the time. Not as familiar with Myq. I remember reading it is something that can integrate into Tesla OS. If it's a sub though I am not interested.

MyQ is, indeed, a subscription if you want to use the tesla OS app function.

I understand Homelink is also a sub.

It not.

It's just a hardware install you have to pay Tesla for.

That said- it costs $350 (came standard on all Teslas until roughly mid-2019-- after which it became an after-purchase paid option).

A 10 year MyQ subscription for your Tesla is $299.

(the upside I guess of homelink is there's a lot more things out there it can control esp. older stuff)

Reactions: TBrownTX
Thanks guys.

Pros and cons I guess. I have two garages and sometimes put different cars in the garage, so not always the same. Most of the time it is. I have my home set up as a smart home on Alexa and I knew there were GD options I could buy for it, but I am doubtful those come with a geo location feature that opens the door when I arrive. In addition Alexa is linking up to a server. I also have some Google smart home hardware, but have not looked into Google's ecosystem concerning garage doors. Many GD openers now come with a wifi/smart home capability. My opener is a 'dumb' opener in that it only has the radio controlled clicker(s).

I would love to have the geo open feature most of the time. Not as familiar with Myq. I remember reading it is something that can integrate into Tesla OS. If it's a sub though I am not interested. I understand Homelink is also a sub. Not interested. I just cancelled half a dozen subs recently due to me not using them....so I guess I will need to look at other alternatives. I am leaning toward just hiding a clicker on velcro since I won't be opening any gates or anything else other than my GDs. I have a homelink system one of my thermostats uses for remote sensors. Not sure if there would be a way I could take advatage of that. I don't pay a subscription for that.
Is it separate physically located garages or separate doors? If separate doors, I would consider Tailwind as it can control up to three doors from one controller. Just need to purchase additional door kits (sensor and wiring). Tailwind also integrates with almost all current home automation systems including alexa, google and apple homekit. I purchased because it was one of the few that would integrate with my Smart Things home automation system. Been working for over two years for me where previous Z wave controller barely lasted a year. Note, no subscription to use unlike other options.

Reactions: samori01
Its just easier than having a clicker to be honest. Plus I don't think Homelink does it, but the new Myq integration automatically opens and closes the door which is pretty cool. I won't pay 45 dollars a year for it, so I did my own with the MyQ app and LiveKey App which isn't perfect but does the job. Also, the clicker as you said can break battery die etc. You can get the MyQ device for 1 dollar shipping from the car screen and at the very least have an app on your phone that can do the garage door if your clicker breaks, plus the app works from anywhere.
Hi @robl45 , I am with you. I just recently changed my garage door opener with MyQ (my old was not working anymore) and like the idea of auto open the door as I drive up and close as I drive away. I went with MyQ option instead of HomeLink because I would have the flexibility to either use the clicker or my phone MyQ App to open and close the garage door, or integrate with Tesla app/screen. Whereas with HomeLink, I need to purchase the device and have it installed in the car by the Tesla folks. I am trying not to add any extra weight (maybe it is not much, but still...).

I want to avoid paying $45/year or $299/10 years, etc., How did you integrate with Tesla app without paying the MyQ subscription fee? Thanks in advance!

Extra weight?!? It is a little plastic box that weighs less than a decent sandwich.

MyQ requires a subscription. Homelink just needs the one time fee and you can now buy a used one and install it yourself. It takes about 15 minutes.

Extra weight?!? It is a little plastic box that weighs less than a decent sandwich.

MyQ requires a subscription. Homelink just needs the one time fee and you can now buy a used one and install it yourself. It takes about 15 minutes.

As noted the new homelink costs more than the 10 year MyQ subscription though.

That said I thought used ones still required paying Tesla to enable it in software as if you'd bought it from them- is that no longer true?