Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are some underrated features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why?
P.S. I have it, but it gets cold here :smile:

resale value and the fact that I might sell it someone that lives in Colorado! :)

This is like the original premium audio that was only $990. That's a bargain and it adds resale value.

Heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, defrosted windsheild wipers, and heated windshield fluid - ALL for $1K? That's a steal.

Now I only wished they'd understand how expensive the cyclone wheels were at $2,500 . . .

A friend of mine once described ICEs as internals all fighting each other for direction. I.e. the pistons go up and down, the crankshaft rotates at 90d (or whatever), the differential translates the crankshaft motion another 90d into driving power for the wheels, all of these mechanical things are trying to do something different than the thing next to it; result: shaking, rattling, and (eventually) rolling in presumably the right direction. What drama to get there. In contrast, not sure about other EVs but the Model S's motor and wheels go in the same direction. Very simple, but wow what a difference.

That's my complete layman's understanding of harnessing the gods beyond my power, anyway.

I think about this sometimes -- imagine the engineering expertise that went into making the incredibly comfortable and driveable ICE's, with all those explosions and competing forces going on.

Now, imagine the day when all that engineering power is redirected to making electric cars, by all manufacturers. Scary what will be possible.

I appreciate seeing the various responses.

Very much agree on the Google search... that is right in line with what I was looking for with my question. I use it all the time, but never think of it, and it works, unlike other cars.

The No-Shifting one is something I touch upon sometimes when describing acceleration.

The no vibration point went unnoticed entirely by me, but you are so correct. Thinking back to driving my wifes car a few weeks back, I think at the time I did indeed notice it. Wow, I feel lucky not having to 'suffer' through that anymore. I no longer let other people drive, I'm always the one driving others, which of course means I just about never experience an ICE. Ugg, now I'm really not looking forward to the next time I inevitably have to.

I also use the backup camera, especially to confirm if I can fit into a tight lane change (only when i don't have the luxury of waiting until there is more room of course).

The topping up each night is one of the MOST appreciated aspects (being somewhere that can be rather cold in the winter, it goes together with not having to fill the gas tank in a snowstorm). That almost always gets discussed when talking about the car.

Likely a rather specific feature... the web browser. While it is too slow to be overly useful (especially compared to using the cell phone), Waze is great (although I feel a bit bad consuming the data but being unable to contribute). But my specific web browser under appreciated feature... self advertising. I made a web page that flashes pictures with features about the car (basic stats like 0-60, picture of kids in trunk seats, range/charge times). This catches people's attention at car shows, while allowing them to learn something about the car and shows off the touchscreen. I imagine if you ferried clients around, it could also be set up to do advertising/infomercials for your own purposes.

And going slightly off topic perhaps... I was told some Tesla stores/service centers will leave the cars running in neutral and parking brake on overnight... allowing them to have their headlights illuminated. What a neat way to draw attention to them... perhaps an ICE could survive that as well with lower power LEDs becoming common, but just seems like a perfect match to th giant battery pack we have.

And going slightly off topic perhaps... I was told some Tesla stores/service centers will leave the cars running in neutral and parking brake on overnight... allowing them to have their headlights illuminated. What a neat way to draw attention to them... perhaps an ICE could survive that as well with lower power LEDs becoming common, but just seems like a perfect match to th giant battery pack we have.

I can confirm that I saw that at the Paramus, NJ Sales, Service, and Supercharger location. When we stopped to charge last week.

A friend of mine once described ICEs as internals all fighting each other for direction. I.e. the pistons go up and down, the crankshaft rotates at 90d (or whatever), the differential translates the crankshaft motion another 90d into driving power for the wheels, all of these mechanical things are trying to do something different than the thing next to it; result: shaking, rattling, and (eventually) rolling in presumably the right direction. What drama to get there. In contrast, not sure about other EVs but the Model S's motor and wheels go in the same direction. Very simple, but wow what a difference.
I think of all the parts that can go wrong in an ICE and think 'Rube Goldberg Machine'. If one part steps out of line, it all falls apart.

What I'm noticing is the lack of drama when accelerating, or driving up a hill etc. With an ICE, I'm always aware of how hard the engine is working, whether the transmission is shifting down as it should...etc. That's the engineer in me - I hear every little rattle and misfire, which drives the wife crazy! All that is gone now. Just some motor whine, that's it. It doesn't sound too much different whether you're working it hard or just loafing along. I may still be wearing out the mechanicals a little each day, but it really doesn't feel like it. For me that's actually a stress relief, I'm discovering.

I also like how pulling up to a stop light is like sitting in a soundproof room. It's strangely tranquil...

The ability to pre-warm the car, even while in the garage, is a big plus. There are lots of cars with "remote-start", but their carbon-monoxide spewing ICEs make it unsafe to use that feature in a garage.

All of the above are nice...and maybe even could be considered "under rated"...but here's what's really under rated. The ability to simply sit in the car, put it in gear and drive, then put it in park at your destination and walk away.

This is a feature you use multiple times daily and the beautiful convenience is really hard to exaggerate. You can work in the auto door handles, but honestly, if the car had handles already sticking out and it just unlocked (like a prius or many other smart key vehicles) that would just as convenient. But not even needing to push a 'start' button to turn a car on or off...absolute the ultimate in convenience.

The improved low-speed control you get from instant torque and regenerative braking.

When making turns on low-speed-limit streets, or navigating parking lots, the acceleration lag in an ICE makes it far too easily to accidentally "punch it" and find yourself going too fast by accident. Meanwhile, in a Tesla, its easy to keep control over your speed in those situations and avoid going too fast.

I can confirm that I saw that at the Paramus, NJ Sales, Service, and Supercharger location. When we stopped to charge last week.
The Charlotte NC store does this. I get a huge smile on my face when I drive by at night and see this.

The Tesla makes a fabulous clown car -- two in the frunk, four in the back trunk. Who knows how many would fit in the back seat -- I didn't have enough clowns with me to do a proper test.
DSC_7619a.jpg
DSC_7616a.jpg

Also, the back-up camera can be used as a fun-house mirror.
DSC_7607a.jpg
DSC_7599a.jpg

I have been doing quite a bit of advocating for Tesla to others the past couple of weeks, extolling the virtues of the car. Certain things always get mentioned: performance, range, quietness, one footed driving. It got me thinking, what feature(s) do you very much appreciate, but at the same time, never really talk about to others?
I think I talk about most of the features. I always always mention the instantaneous responsiveness of the accelerator. And I usually mention the great low-speed operation (though everyone just looks confused until they get in the car and I demonstrate it).

I guess I don't mention the always-on backup camera that often, but it's very useful -- I hardly ever use the rearview mirror now, since I use the camera instead.

One feature which nobody ever asks me about is the instant-on heat. I love that so much.

I guess I don't mention the "purse and satchel caddy" (between the two front seats) that much, but I use it constantly and love it, whether I'm putting whole folders of 8.5x11 papers down flat or just dropping my entire satchel there.

I haven't yet ordered, but I always check out backseat comfort when shopping for a car. I was impressed that the center back seat in the MS is as cushy and comfortable as the side seats, so on road trips passengers don't have to draw straws to see who gets stuck in the middle.
This was a huge deal for us in our decision to go with the Model S. AWD was a requirement for my wife. We couldn't get past how big the tunnel was in all the ICE AWD choices we considered. We have three kids, and someone was going to have to deal with the dreaded "hump" in the backseat. That doesn't look like it's going to be an issue anymore.

Here's a feature not yet mentioned:

My constant driving companion is ecstatic about how much more leg room the model S has than even our cavernous crew cab F350 - because of the lack of any tranny hump that is a feature cramping the inside leg of anyone in an ICE. It's not just the length of room afforded one's toes - if you're left leg is always scrunched, you're not going to be that comfortable.