Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are Tesla's other 'Cards'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
these are interesting and fun posts, but there is already a thread on this very topic.

Surprise R and D project

fwiw, I'm not sure why, but I love the idea of a hybrid battery using a metal air battery as a range extender, letting you go ~450 miles between charges, and add ~200 miles as fast as filling a gas tank.

If Tesla could execute on this it would 1) shut down the last remaining gripe of the naysayers that can sound rational on the surface, 2) possibly land a 100 out of 100 from Consumer Reports, and 3) as I see it, possibly result in a much more efficient use of the limited supply of lithium ion batteries (they could make 200-300 mile li-ion range cars, with 500-1,000 miles of range extension on reserve in the metal air... this would decrease desire for 400+ mile li-ion batteries (basically meaning they could double volumes based on ~50-100 kWh batteries rather than 75-200 kWh batteries), decrease holiday overload on SuperChargers with the ability to tap extender). That last point I don't mean to say there's anything wrong with anyone wanting a 500 mile lithium ion battery, it's just that as they are just getting to GF1, and will be several years before #s 2,3,..., they could pump out more cars with smaller batteries. Of course, my point is moot if the metal air range extender would be just as supply limited as lithium ion batteries.

I think the cat was out of the static storage device after JB Straubel's keynote, so it's not that.

Supercar or pick-up have the same issues and could be worth valuable R&D:
- Motor has to be able to take a serious beating
- Multi-geared transmission would help more than with a normal car.

Inverter design is a big deal, and not mentioned that much. Making cheaper power electronics is the next big step required after cheap batteries to lower the price. Also, Tesla does build their own. JB Straubel spoke about the price falling, but nothing about any research they're doing on it.

One thing not mentioned. If you're a BEV manufacturer with a grand plan to sell millions of BEVs you want to see an effective solution to the current multi-unit, on-street and hotel charging problem. If I were a naturalized paper-billionaire CEO of such a manufacturer I'd be putting some effort into the creation of modular, scalable, smart multi-unit charging systems so that when my affordable model, let's call it the Model 3, were released I'd be able to sell these units for charging.

Another possibility: imagine a dedicated "black cab" long-range BEV being sprung on the market.

Former Tesla engineer confirms they are currently working on AWD Supercar and truck. These aren't things we didn't know, but they are cards that Tesla hasn't shown yet. Other cards include expansion to Russia and India. I'm assuming this means some kind of factory will be coming to China sooner rather than later to serve these markets.

AWD truck? Are you sure this isn't the Model X? Did he say it was a "truck" or any other info?

Another real longshot would be the development of an electric bike (not motorcycle). Steve Jurvetson showed a great slide at TMC Connect that indicated there are something like 200M electric bikes in China after the SARS outbreak 12+ years ago. Good way to introduce the brand to aspiring owners.

+ 1

Smart EV did the same thing. Tesla would do it even better IMO. And the Tesla E-bike could be also offered as an option of the Model S/X.

:cool:

AWD truck? Are you sure this isn't the Model X? Did he say it was a "truck" or any other info?

He didn't say AWD truck, though I imagine it will be. He just said truck (meaning pick-up truck) and AWD S Supercar. My understanding is that there are no plans for a regular AWD S at this point, only the AWD Supercar. I don't know the timeline for any of this, only that they have been working on both of these in addition to the X.

He didn't say AWD truck, though I imagine it will be. He just said truck (meaning pick-up truck) and AWD S Supercar. My understanding is that there are no plans for a regular AWD S at this point, only the AWD Supercar. I don't know the timeline for any of this, only that they have been working on both of these in addition to the X.
Sounds like Franz has been having some fun!

How about a ride on electric lawn mower :smile:

That's no secret card. ;)
screenshot-2014-01-26-16-39-44.jpg

Though we might have surmised this, I don't think this has been shared publicly before. Could be a card, and if so it means a second factory and GigaFactory are required to support this.

Tesla Motors' (NASDAQ:TSLA) stock jumped after Deutsche Bank upgraded the electric car maker to buy on views that its "growth trajectory" will top expectations as "additional assembly facilities" boost production to at least 1 million units annually by 2025.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: Tesla Seen Making 1 Million Cars Annually By 2025, Shares Jump TSLA - Investors.com

Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

12. New Roadster on Model 3 platform.

With this news it may start to look like the 'card' has something to do with a car that needs a lot of carbon fiber... I have also heard rumors about a "super car" on the Model S platform...

"GS Caltex and Tesla officials plan to meet late this month to discuss carbon fiber supply. It is still in an initial stage," the source said.

Currently, carbon fiber usage is limited to high-end vehicles like BMW's i3 electric cars and racing cars, partly because of its expense. The material can reduce the weight of a vehicle component by up to 50 percent.

Doubt this is a true "card," but in the Credit Sussie research noted that "Development of a custom tire they are working on can reduce friction by 20%-30%" is in the works. I doubt Tesla is doing this themselves, hopefully in partnership with someone like Goodyear. (Also, I hope they are targeting rolling resistance, not friction. Lower friction would yield slower acceleration and braking, while rolling resistance at that magnitude could have a measurable, though not huge increase in range.) They also noted that the Model X power train would be more efficient, but I think we already knew that.

"Model X will get an improved Drive Unit and a Battery that is 10%+ more energetic per cell"-However, this could certainly be a serious card!

Doubt this is a true "card," but in the Credit Sussie research noted that "Development of a custom tire they are working on can reduce friction by 20%-30%" is in the works. I doubt Tesla is doing this themselves, hopefully in partnership with someone like Goodyear. (Also, I hope they are targeting rolling resistance, not friction. Lower friction would yield slower acceleration and braking, while rolling resistance at that magnitude could have a measurable, though not huge increase in range.) They also noted that the Model X power train would be more efficient, but I think we already knew that.

"Model X will get an improved Drive Unit and a Battery that is 10%+ more energetic per cell"-However, this could certainly be a serious card!
Would it be weight of the tire/rim rather than friction of tire. Inertia a large component and reducing weight of rims can help mileage. Alcoa sell light weight truck rims made out of aluminum alloy that significantly improves gas mileage of trucks

With this news it may start to look like the 'card' has something to do with a car that needs a lot of carbon fiber.

I seriously think that Tesla could be considering using a non-metal body for the Model 3 and even switching over the S/X to a new, lighter body material. Maybe something like what BMW is doing with the i series. Why not? If it's as durable as metal but lighter and comparably priced or cheaper than aluminum. I know that right know it may not be, but maybe someone has come up with a new approach that in volume would make sense.

Inverter design is a big deal, and not mentioned that much. Making cheaper power electronics is the next big step required after cheap batteries to lower the price. Also, Tesla does build their own. JB Straubel spoke about the price falling, but nothing about any research they're doing on it.

I agree that this is most likely one of the big R&D areas. Increasing efficiencies in the transistors will go a long way to increasing overall efficiency (charger -> battery, battery -> motor, motor -> battery). It seems well known that the next jump in this area will be switching to Wide Bandgap transistors. Being one of the first to market with these could also give Tesla an advantage on next-gen inverters for the solar industry as well as straight up energy storage. Advances in the Power Electronics could also mean that the drive unit could do double duty as the battery charger (?).

Other possible areas of R&D I haven't seen mentioned:

1. Building their own wind tunnel.
2. Working on a switched reluctance drive unit. Could possibly be cheaper and more efficient than an AC motor.