Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the Charging Speeds with different connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 Model S with Twin Chargers here. Could someone help me understand how fast (miles added per hour wise) each of the following chargers will net me?

• Currently Using - Normal wall socket - 118v - 12/12A - Showing 4 mi/hr
  • Have but not using - 240 socket - "X" mi/hr?
  • Have but not using - Tesla signature wall charger - "X" mi/hr?
  • Supercharger - "X" mi/hr?
Also non electrical guy here, but I like to understand why things are the way they are. Anybody want to help explain how Voltage and Amps contribute to supplying more miles per hour?

My experiences with a 2016 P100D:
110volt/12amp 4mi/hr
Nema 14-30 14 mi/hr (208/30amp)
Nema 14-50 24 mi/hr (50amp Gen 1 mobile connector)
Supercharger, very dependent on current state of charge
up to 500 mi/hr under 60% declining dramatically

2014 Model S with Twin Chargers here. Could someone help me understand how fast (miles added per hour wise) each of the following chargers will net me?

Also non electrical guy here, but I like to understand why things are the way they are. Anybody want to help explain how Voltage and Amps contribute to supplying more miles per hour?

I remember it as Power is as easy as 'PIE'; P=IE. I guess where it gets weird is 'I' is current in Amps (current Intensity) and 'E' is volts (Electromotive force).

So if you have (118v)(12A) that's 1.4kW. You get ~3 miles of range/hr for every kW of charge rate. (1.4kW)(3mi/hr) = 4.2mi/hr

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think the signature wall connector is a variation of the gen2 connector which allowed up to 80A charging speeds, assuming you have dual chargers (you do) and a 100A 240v single phase circuit for the connector. The 3rd gen connector maxes out at 48A @ 240v.

• Helpful

Amps is the number of electrons that flow through a wire at any given point (a variant of electrons/second, essentially)
Voltage is a less tangible concept, literally defined as "electric potential difference"

To get the power used (ex. in charging a battery) amps is multiplied by voltage.

This multiplication is also the reason why higher voltages are used. The flow of electrons (AMPS) causes heat, but voltage does not. The same power at higher voltages requires less amps, thus requires thinner (cheaper) wires.

• Informative
Amps is the number of electrons that flow through a wire at any given point (a variant of electrons/second, essentially)
Voltage is a less tangible concept, literally defined as "electric potential difference"

Best analogy I’ve come across was from my high school physics class and involves a waterfall.

Voltage is the height of the waterfall. Current is the amount of water flowing over it. Power is the total energy available from the water that can be converted to work as it falls to ground.

• Helpful
Best analogy I’ve come across was from my high school physics class and involves a waterfall.

Voltage is the height of the waterfall. Current is the amount of water flowing over it. Power is the total energy available from the water that can be converted to work as it falls to ground.

Its a useful analogy, but it seems to me that the waterfall is more complicated to understand than the electrical. Technically it is not the "height" of the waterfall, but the "potential energy" of the waterfall at its height (height x gravity x weight of the water). PE was not an easy concept.

I think it is pretty sufficient to understand the definition, plus only that voltage is measured over two points and amps via one. People get it mixed up because they are translating it into waterfalls and rivers, when they should be thinking about the flow of electrons through a wire. IMO

the 120v plug is correct at 12A
the 240 plug that comes with the car is a 14-50 for your car that is 40A
the HPWC since you're like me with the dual chargers is 80A

If you have an 85 battery here is the SC speeds
at 10% you'll be about 110kW at 80% you'll be at about 30kW

• Helpful
Reactions: incrediwoah