Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the flaws coming off the line nowadays like??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up yesterday at factory. There were a ton of deliveries happening under the big white tent. They mentioned something about end of quarter surge.

Unfortunately, about a mile down the street a service light came on and power was reduced. It's back at service center with problem yet to be identified. Possibly something to do with coolant. If power is reduced then it's maybe a heat management issue? They sent us home with a loaner. Disappointing experience to say the least. Especially since we were 200 miles from home.
Sorry to hear!! How disheartening...may I ask your VIN#?? My is being shipped today (I think), so it may be in the same batch as yours...was yours a 75D?

Last edited:
Mine likely entered production around May 30th. Still seeing some panel issues.
1.) left trunk edge sits significantly higher than rear quarter panel, makes it look like it's not completely closed
2.) right front trunk has a huge gap with the front quarter panel
3.) possibly related to #2 above, two panels over driver's-side wheel butt up to each other fairly tightly, which may cause rubbing and paint wear

Seals seem good so far.

Reactions: X Yes?
Charged at syosset this afternoon and walked around and looked at each of the 10+ new X's in lot.

Metal Fit and finish was outstanding on every one with lines comparable to my other X, an x5 and even better than my 3xxx X.

Most triangular window seals looked solid although I'd say about 20% of them were not placed properly ( SC I assume would fix before delivery ). Rest of window/doors looked good.

Only discordant note was a note on a brand new white/white I saw pasted to the screen that stated: "door opens when applying brake"......ouch.

• Informative
Sorry to hear!! How disheartening...may I ask your VIN#?? My is being shipped today (I think), so it may be in the same batch as yours...was yours a 75D?

It gets worse. Drove 3 hours back to Fremont today to pick up the car after problem was supposedly resolved (air in coolant system) only to find that 25 miles down the road the service light came back on. Now I have a 2013 model s loaner. No autopilot in stop and go 4th of July traffic is a bummer. So basically a waste of 12 hours today.

They did give me two insulated travel mugs for my travel for my trouble...

Vin 6729

I have had no major issues. All panels seem to be well aligned and all glas seems are seated correctly.

I have developed a small rattle from the top of the left hand falcon door liner........ Will have it looked up at the next service center as I progress in my trip around Northern Europe.

• Informative
Well, the honeymoon might be over for me. I was driving ~25mph last night, and hit a small bump. The passenger door came unlatched. It immediately started warning me to proceed with caution. I drove another minute until I was home, and opened and closed the passenger door and it latched fine. I'm just praying this isn't the first signs of a bad latch. I just got the car back from being wrapped, I don't want to lose it again!

Picked up my 75D last Friday. The only issue I am seeing so far is some minor alignment issue with the door handles on the passenger side. The FWD almost hit an obstacle within the garage once, but I am hoping it is just a one-off! Drive is great, and all other interiors are working fine.

I picked up on June 30th. The car was ready a week earlier but I wasn't. I couldn't be happier with the 57-day turnaround for an east coast delivery. I had 3 minor issues.
  1. The passenger-side front door will close with the window out of its track. So far it has happened twice; once during the delivery walkthrough and once at home. There is no visible damage when it happens and opening and re-closing the door fixes it.
  2. The driver-side front door 'handle' is not flush with door on the rear portion. This issue manifested itself after driving home. I am relatively sure it was correctly seated when we did the delivery walkthrough.
  3. The weather stripping seals on the roof have dislodged from structural beam above the B-pillar. The rubber seals are still there but have slid down - exposing the unfinished edges of the black roof material.
Being 2 hours away from the nearest service center, I'd rather not have them fixed. I will confirm with Tesla that these issues are safe to ignore for now.
UYm05MH.jpg

pShV59k.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze
90D produced in May, delivered in June. No flaws and nothing to fix. No paint blemishes but did need to clay some grime off the flanks not covered on the trip to Florids. It was not visible but you could feel it with your hand. Had the checklist at delivery but did not need it.

So I picked up my white 90D, premium upgrade, yesterday late afternoon at the Rockville, MD store. The poor guy who picked me up at the Metro station (I was coming from Baltimore) who is part of the delivery team was totally overwhelmed by all the activity and the fact that his boss was away and they were a bit understaffed.

But the delivery went very well. The guy who walked me through everything was very knowledgeable and helpful, and after about an hour and a half, I was sent on my way to drive back to Baltimore. I did a couple of walk arounds, looking for obvious exterior issues like panel alignment, seals, handles, etc., and everything looked great. I will do a flyspeck over the weekend but so far fit and finish is quite good.

Here are my initial impressions:

1 The car is wonderful; it is joy to drive and despite the fact that it is obviously not a sleek sedan like the S, it doesn't feel like an SUV. My previous car was a BMW 750iX, and except for the superior seats in the BMW and the lame iPhone integration in the X, it is otherwise a far superior driving machine.
2. Rear view mirror visibility is almost nonexistent, but it doesn't matter. Keeping the rear camera view in the top half of the screen is actually a far better rear view than any mirror. it just takes some adjustment to stop looking at the rear view mirror and relying on the camera view.
3. On the way home, i engaged auto-pilot several times. It takes some getting used to in order to trust it, but it is unquestionably a more relaxing way to travel in traffic on the highway. There were times it told me to put my hands on the wheel when it sensed potentially complicated situations, and that was actually comforting.
4. The app capabilities are really terrific. I played golf this afternoon, and while having a drink with my playing companions after the round, I checked the temp in the car. it was 125.... so i turned on climate, and watched as the temp went down to 70 before I got there... Then, just for fun, I used Summon to back the car out of its parking space and come to me.. That was awesome.
5. A couple of anomalies. Twice either a door or the trunk tried to close prematurely without warning. And the passenger door doesn't seem to want to close when i press the brake pedal. Also on the touch screen, the FWD door icon is greyed out when I bring up the door controls...
6. MAJOR COMPLAINT-- iPhone integration. it is crazy that in an $115,000 car it would be so lame. It is beyond comprehension. Cars costing 1/4 as much have far more capable integration. i have no idea what this is about, or why at a minimum CarPlay isn't available. The argument that it involves a licensing cost is total BS because it could easily be offered as a user option, like XM. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Elon Musk, but this flaw smacks of some ego issue I don't understand and certainly cannot justify. The argument that phone integration risks distracting drivers is total nonsense. A web browser is every bit as distracting, and the ultimate in distraction is the need to pick up your phone and look at it to see things that could be displayed on the Tesla screen, and are in almost every other new vehicle on the market today. This has got to get fixed....
7. Minor, but not insignificant COMPLAINT-- the browser and app integration is also unacceptably weak. It is beyond debate that opening up operating systems to developers to produce apps is a key ingredient of success. Apple won for this reason and Blackberry lost. Tesla can't be blind to this, especially with the the mass market Model 3 on the horizon. If Tesla continues to cripple the user interface and limit what it can support it will severely cripple it's market appeal.

But bottom line, I LOVE the X and trust these issues will work themselves out over time. But as a hedge, i leased my Model X, so we will see where we are 3 years from now!

So I picked up my white 90D, premium upgrade, yesterday late afternoon at the Rockville, MD store. The poor guy who picked me up at the Metro station (I was coming from Baltimore) who is part of the delivery team was totally overwhelmed by all the activity and the fact that his boss was away and they were a bit understaffed.

But the delivery went very well. The guy who walked me through everything was very knowledgeable and helpful, and after about an hour and a half, I was sent on my way to drive back to Baltimore. I did a couple of walk arounds, looking for obvious exterior issues like panel alignment, seals, handles, etc., and everything looked great. I will do a flyspeck over the weekend but so far fit and finish is quite good.

1 The car is wonderful; it is joy to drive and despite the fact that it is obviously not a sleek sedan like the S, it doesn't feel like an SUV. My previous car was a BMW 750iX, and except for the superior seats in the BMW and the lame iPhone integration in the X, it is otherwise a far superior driving machine.
2. Rear view mirror visibility is almost nonexistent, but it doesn't matter. Keeping the rear camera view in the top half of the screen is actually a far better rear view than any mirror. it just takes some adjustment to stop looking at the rear view mirror and relying on the camera view.
3. On the way home, i engaged auto-pilot several times. It takes some getting used to in order to trust it, but it is unquestionably a more relaxing way to travel in traffic on the highway. There were times it told me to put my hands on the wheel when it sensed potentially complicated situations, and that was actually comforting.
4. The app capabilities are really terrific. I played golf this afternoon, and while having a drink with my playing companions after the round, I checked the temp in the car. it was 125.... so i turned on climate, and watched as the temp went down to 70 before I got there... Then, just for fun, I used Summon to back the car out of its parking space and come to me.. That was awesome.
5. A couple of anomalies. Twice either a door or the trunk tried to close prematurely without warning. And the passenger door doesn't seem to want to close when i press the brake pedal. Also on the touch screen, the FWD door icon is greyed out when I bring up the door controls...
6. MAJOR COMPLAINT-- iPhone integration. it is crazy that in an $115,000 car it would be so lame. It is beyond comprehension. Cars costing 1/4 as much have far more capable integration. i have no idea what this is about, or why at a minimum CarPlay isn't available. The argument that it involves a licensing cost is total BS because it could easily be offered as a user option, like XM. I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Elon Musk, but this flaw smacks of some ego issue I don't understand and certainly cannot justify. The argument that phone integration risks distracting drivers is total nonsense. A web browser is every bit as distracting, and the ultimate in distraction is the need to pick up your phone and look at it to see things that could be displayed on the Tesla screen, and are in almost every other new vehicle on the market today. This has got to get fixed....
7. Minor, but not insignificant COMPLAINT-- the browser and app integration is also unacceptably weak. It is beyond debate that opening up operating systems to developers to produce apps is a key ingredient of success. Apple won for this reason and Blackberry lost. Tesla can't be blind to this, especially with the the mass market Model 3 on the horizon. If Tesla continues to cripple the user interface and limit what it can support it will severely cripple it's market appeal.

But bottom line, I LOVE the X and trust these issues will work themselves out over time. But as a hedge, i leased my Model X, so we will see where we are 3 years from now!
2. Agreed on the camera. As I've driven more I'm amazed that I can see a vehicle out of the corner of my eye on the side, yet still be able to see them on the camera. I'm still figuring out how to judge distance with it though. If I can see the full car in the camera I'm pretty sure I can change lanes side of the great acceleration, but I might be pissing people off because from their vantage point it's too close.
5. Did you accidentally tap the top of the key once? That's the most common reason for phantom closings (though if another door stayed open, the keyfob is not the culprit). The brake pedal only closes the driver door (and double tap to unlock only opens the driver door. And auto-present with premium package is also only the driver door. There is currently no way to open the passenger door from the key). As for grated out FWD - is the car locked? (Padlock at top left of touchscreen). Front doors can still be opened while locked, but FWDs cannot.
6. It sure feels like ego, and yes it's sad. It could also be that all development resources are dedicated to AutoPilot and fixing door and seat issues. Outside of Slacker, the media app isn't all that great either.
7. See 6. I'm pretty sure they want to enable third party apps at some point, but that's a big technical hurdle they just haven't crossed yet.

Anyhow, congrats and enjoy. And knock on some of that beautiful wood (unless you got carbon fiber) that you don't develop any door, seat, or A/C issues!

I had alignment issues on trunk and doors on both sides. Took them 2 tries, but got that fixed.

Driver side vanity mirror light didn't work, they had to replace the visor.

1 month in, 1300 miles:

Trunk height won't adjust anymore. Opening too low and will not reset or reprogram.

3rd row driver side seat will not fold down. Technically, headrest won't flip so even though it folds forward it won't lay flat

Driver door got stuck almost shut had to wrestle it closed before it would open again

Twice the window didn't retract down upon opening so when I closed the door the top of the window hit the frame and folded out away from the seals. Scary!

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
2. Agreed on the camera. As I've driven more I'm amazed that I can see a vehicle out of the corner of my eye on the side, yet still be able to see them on the camera. I'm still figuring out how to judge distance with it though. If I can see the full car in the camera I'm pretty sure I can change lanes side of the great acceleration, but I might be pissing people off because from their vantage point it's too close.
5. Did you accidentally tap the top of the key once? That's the most common reason for phantom closings (though if another door stayed open, the keyfob is not the culprit). The brake pedal only closes the driver door (and double tap to unlock only opens the driver door. And auto-present with premium package is also only the driver door. There is currently no way to open the passenger door from the key). As for grated out FWD - is the car locked? (Padlock at top left of touchscreen). Front doors can still be opened while locked, but FWDs cannot.
6. It sure feels like ego, and yes it's sad. It could also be that all development resources are dedicated to AutoPilot and fixing door and seat issues. Outside of Slacker, the media app isn't all that great either.
7. See 6. I'm pretty sure they want to enable third party apps at some point, but that's a big technical hurdle they just haven't crossed yet.

Anyhow, congrats and enjoy. And knock on some of that beautiful wood (unless you got carbon fiber) that you don't develop any door, seat, or A/C issues!

I did get wood, the figured ash. Actually i was expecting a glossy finish, but the wood actually looks more authentic with the matte finish on the diagonal grain wood.

For the Phantom close, i had the key in my pocket. I suppose it could have accidentally clicked but it happened twice in a short span of time. i'll keep my eyes on that.

On the FWD being greyed out I think you are right that the car must have been locked. BTW, am i correct there is no auto-lock function when the car starts moving like other cars have? Not sure I understand why that's absent. it is a very nice safety feature, especially on a car where the front doors are so easily opened.

I did get wood, the figured ash. Actually i was expecting a glossy finish, but the wood actually looks more authentic with the matte finish on the diagonal grain wood.

For the Phantom close, i had the key in my pocket. I suppose it could have accidentally clicked but it happened twice in a short span of time. i'll keep my eyes on that.

On the FWD being greyed out I think you are right that the car must have been locked. BTW, am i correct there is no auto-lock function when the car starts moving like other cars have? Not sure I understand why that's absent. it is a very nice safety feature, especially on a car where the front doors are so easily opened.
I haven't been watching the icon, but you can't open doors above certain speeds.

2.) I'm glad you like the rear camera view, but I can't seem to use it too often. It makes me nauseous for some reason. I'd much prefer an integrated rear-view mirror like the one by Gentex

5.) Tesla changed the behavior of the brake pedal. It used to close both driver and passenger doors, but too many passengers were getting the door closed on them, so now the brake pedal only closes the driver's door.

I haven't been watching the icon, but you can't open doors above certain speeds.
2.) I'm glad you like the rear camera view, but I can't seem to use it too often. It makes me nauseous for some reason. I'd much prefer an integrated rear-view mirror like the one by Gentex

5.) Tesla changed the behavior of the brake pedal. It used to close both driver and passenger doors, but too many passengers were getting the door closed on them, so now the brake pedal only closes the driver's door.
Is this available for the Model X?