Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the justifiable reasons for enabling cabin overheat protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I don't keep animals in my car, and I am not a wasteful person, why do I want to enable cabin overheat protection? I understand that it will limit the interior temperature depending on the settings, but at the cost of range and kWh/mi efficiency. If I am happy with turning the AC on as I head to the car is their anything I am missing?

Someone on this forum in the past had mentioned that they use it to keep the MCU from getting too hot and potentially causing premature failure. Because of that, I use the feature. Our X is garage-kept and it never sits outside for more than an hour or two in the summer so the amount of energy used for this in our case is minimal.

It also speeds up how quickly the car gets back to temperature when you re-enter it, and prevents things in your cabin from getting to unreasonable temperatures if that matters.

For example, I keep chewing gum in my car, and with Cabin Overheat disabled, after a day it will turn into a giant melted wad of gum and basically ruin the whole container of gum.

i was listening to NPR yesterday about kids being left in the car and first though, "what the F!". then they went into the details, some guy usually drives kids and wife and drops off kid, then wife, then works. this one time, he had to drop off wife first, and on the way to drop off the kid, someone called about work and he was under stress so he got to work and keep on the phone. an hour after parking he realized the kid's still in the car. the kid lived but had 6 strokes. that's why we have overhead protection. another recommendation during the story was to put your phone or keys, whatever, next to kids when you put them in car. i can definitely see how a little bit of stress and not following same routine can completely derail train of thought for something horrible like this to happen.

Definitely makes sense that it's people who don't usually have kids/animals in their car that end up forgetting them in the car. Given the number of children transported in cars in this country, the number that die in the car still reflects a very low probability of the average person making this mistake.

The downfall of humanity is the whole "well I've never seen this happen to me or think it'll happen to me, hence this doesn't apply to me" attitude towards low-probability events :)

Agreed. If you don't leave your phone, tablet, or laptop in 130 degree heat, the same should apply to the electronics inside your Tesla.
I never realized how hot it gets in a car until I got a Tesla. It was only in the 80s outside but the car's temperature was in the 130s. But since I do have a Tesla, I always turn on the climate and make sure it's around 70 by the time I get in. :D

I have a black TM3, so black on black gets hot pretty quick here in TX. I keep the feature on mostly to protect the electronics, as others have said, though it's nice that I don't have to come back to a blisteringly hot car if I don't feel like dicking around with the SLOOOW Tesla app.

I also have a young one, but he is old enough now to never let me forget that he is in the car ;-)

I keep it on in my S even though I don't have kids and never carry animals in the car. It keeps the interior from getting to extreme temperatures and makes the car more comfortable for me even if I don't precondition. It's a bit wasteful, but it's a luxury that I enjoy.

Do white seats reduce cabin heat to the point it would cause cabin overheat protection to work less? I'm trying to keep an open mind about everything said in this thread such as electronic life concerns and black seats being hot. I have LLumar Air Blue 80 solar film on my current ICE car's windows and sunroof and will probably use something on my new Tesla whenever I get it.

I have full ceramic tint and my car still can get to 140+ in the desert ...I only turn on if I know my car will be in sun for few hours otherwise my dash cams *sugar* down ..it does suck a lot of battery though