Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the limits of the current Autopilot hardware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have submitted to tesla. I wish the car could sense touching the wheel instead of torque on the wheel. If there were touch sensors in the wheel I would never get the nag. The way I touch the wheel never triggers the required torque so I do get the timed nag.

Have submitted to tesla. I wish the car could sense touching the wheel instead of torque on the wheel. If there were touch sensors in the wheel I would never get the nag. The way I touch the wheel never triggers the required torque so I do get the timed nag.
There seems to be a difference in the nag timing from person to person. I think it's probably road/speed dependent. Yesterday it nagged me three times in 25 minutes, but I was only going a few mph over the limit.

Am I missing something or was the major improvement between 7 and 7.1 staying on the highway when exit roads appeared. It's does that pity well now. I think going back to 7.0 would come with a less reliable driving experience.
I commute 100 miles every day and hold the wheel for 2 minutes total. Once on the highway, a nudge every few minutes and yes, it is sooooo relaxing. Particularly at night, fog, rain...you name it. I will never go back!

I disagree with your assessment of the nag's inconvenience factor. Yes it nags more frequently than in 7.0 but it still is pretty infrequent for me - touching the wheel a few times on a 40 minute highway drive is essentially hands off driving in my book.

However - the bugs in speed limit signs and the unsafe slowing of your car are real problems, I agree. Mine hasn't done that anywhere in So Cal yet - but I'm sorry yours is. I'd definitely report that to Tesla and have them try to fix that behavior.

Obviously each experience is different depending on location. On 85 in North Carolina North of Charlotte is every 2 minutes timed with a stop watch. Almost a useless feature with this frequency of nags. When it was first released I drove the same road for 100 miles with no nags. Huge difference. A few bad apples...... I think Tesla knows who those individuals were and they should target specific VIN numbers. Now that would be appropriate.

My 2 cents

Obviously each experience is different depending on location. On 85 in North Carolina North of Charlotte is every 2 minutes timed with a stop watch.

Nothing is obvious to me at this point. I'm looking at Google street view of your highway right now trying to understand why it would nag you every 2 minutes, when it looks as though your highway is much better marked than I-10 in Southern California where I live (and I don't get nags anywhere near every 2 minutes).

Could you tell us how fast you were going during the timing?

I am too lazy to do this myself but I wish somebody would build a database of autopilot nag frequency reports to see if we could draw any conclusions about variations among cars/locations.

I will time mine tomorrow and report back.
Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 7.20.36 PM.png