Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the must have things for "Camping Mode" in Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

C_A_Braun

Meet "Voodoo", Our S75 & "Solo Cup", Our Model 3
Jul 19, 2016
So Cal / So Nev
There are a few threads here about camping in the Model S but mostly about charging at camp grounds etc. Though a quick search also comes up with a few posts about needing an air mattress if you are actually going to sleep in the "trunk" I was hoping to get some personal experiences from those of you that have invested a little money into the "Camping Mode" option.

What are the must have things to really pull it off with at least a little comfort (as opposed to sleeping on the ground outside the car)?
Mattresses (What size)?
Pillows?
Blankets (or just use climate controls)? What is best for windows (blocking light as well as heat/cold if possible)?
Tips and tricks?

We did try it once at the Groveland CA supercharger a couple months ago, but we hadn't planned on it so we didn't have anythiing to help with the comfort level, particularly regarding the bump where the rear seats fold down.

We have one of the tents that attach to the car hatch. It works well, although we are still working out the bugs. Well, not actual, physical bugs -- it seals pretty well.

None of the apps with camper mode can work with the hatch open. In fact, even the Tesla app won't turn on the climate control with the hatch open. In reality, these are not really good solutions anyway, as they require data service of some kind, and that is often not available in areas where one might camp.

Using the traditional camper mode turns on the DRLs, which is not appreciated by campers. And of course you can't be plugged in to use it.

I have played with other solutions to keep the car on while charging that seem to work in the garage, but until I use them while camping, I'm not confident in them. It has been great sleeping temperature without any climate control the two times we have used the tent!

I forgot to mention the other issue; as far as I know there is no way to secure your car as long as a key is inside, is there? Somebody can always push the driver's handle to get the handles to pop out.

Although I must admit that I have not tried it, it would seem pretty silly if someone were able to push the handle and the door open if the keys were inside. Seems it would make you a prime target for a carjacking at a red light or stop sign. I know my camry doors wont open from the outside just because the key fob is on the inside.

Will a "full" size mattress fit in the back? I am thinking at least a "full" super thick mattress pad, even if we have to curl the edges up the side a little bit.
a twin fits between the wheel wells. A full will not but as you say, it can curl up. To me, this actually gives less room since the thickness of the curled foam takes away from the width, but if it helps you...

• Helpful
Reactions: C_A_Braun
Can anyone describe how you can:

1. Keep the climate control running with all lights off and all doors closed.

2. Keep the climate control running with all lights off but the hatch open.

3. Do either of the above while also plugged in and charging.

You can put the car in neutral, then go to E-Brake & Power Off and set the parking brake. That will disable the on screen front/trunk buttons but you can still open them with the keyfob. Final you can turn off the headlights and DRLs from the controls screen in US cars, other countries are out of luck on that one unless range mode would switch them off.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Dashboard for Tesla

Dashboard for Tesla app can do #1 and #3 IF you have cell data service or wifi. #2 will not work -- the API won't let it for any app. You can't even turn on climate control with the Tesla app with the hatch open.

All 3 requests require keeping the car on and active. I can't remember the exact method, but I'll test it tomorrow and get back to you. I don't want to give incorrect info.