Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the must haves for a brand new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there… I am new to this forum and Tesla community. I just received my Model y LR Dual Motor a few days ago. I love this car already but feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information I lack already. I already installed a screen protector, window tint, cup holder, center console organizer and center console wrap. I was wondering what else am I missing that is kind of a must have. I am specifically wondering if the ceramic coating is worth the 6-700 bucks that it would cost me. I also was wondering what is a good interior/ leather cleaner as well as exterior. Hope this post doesn't bore anyone, just looking for a good response instead of the millions of different options google is telling me lol.

Reactions: cancoi
Interior: roof sun shade, floor liners, (Note: the seats and steering wheel are not leather. The seats are covered in polyurethane fabric, clean up with plain water and a microfiber cloth or unscented baby wipes. Keep any product designed for cleaning, treating real leather away or you will have a real mess on your hands.) Homelink kit (Tesla Mobile Service can install the Homelink kit.)

Exterior: mud flaps, paint protection film for the doors (especially the rear doors (Tesla sells a PPF kit for the rear doors.), a front license plate mount that does not contact the front bumper. Tow hitch package (the Tesla Service center can install after delivery. The tow hitch package enables you to attach a bike rack to the Model Y.)

Wheels and Tires: 12V tire inflator, tire plug kit, Modern Spare (an aftermarket spare tire that fits the Model Y), jack pads (to aid in locating the approved lift points when lifting the Model Y.) For winter driving in snow: a wheel and winter tire package.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucsdsig
Hey there… I am new to this forum and Tesla community. I just received my Model y LR Dual Motor a few days ago. I love this car already but feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information I lack already. I already installed a screen protector, window tint, cup holder, center console organizer and center console wrap. I was wondering what else am I missing that is kind of a must have. I am specifically wondering if the ceramic coating is worth the 6-700 bucks that it would cost me. I also was wondering what is a good interior/ leather cleaner as well as exterior. Hope this post doesn't bore anyone, just looking for a good response instead of the millions of different options google is telling me lol.
Congratulations on the new car! Between your post and the first response, this covers most of the popular accessories. I also bought replacement lights for the doors and interior floor.

I also got PPF and ceramic coating installed. If I had not done PPF, I might have tried to cheaper at home ceramic solutions. I will admit though, the ceramic looks pretty amazing and I’m happy with the results. There are some pictures in this thread. Potential PPF/Ceramic Group Buy - Sticker City (Los Angeles Area)

Something I really was glad to have with this car was a windshield cover. Plenty of options available. You already know how the sun hits us over here.
Consider ppf if you care about paint, I already got 3 chips on the hood from driving on the 101 construction area in the first week of owning yhe car. Ppf for all high impact areas, if not at least a good ceramic coating

Interior: roof sun shade, floor liners, (Note: the seats and steering wheel are not leather. The seats are covered in polyurethane fabric, clean up with plain water and a microfiber cloth or unscented baby wipes. Keep any product designed for cleaning, treating real leather away or you will have a real mess on your hands.) Homelink kit (Tesla Mobile Service can install the Homelink kit.)

Exterior: mud flaps, paint protection film for the doors (especially the rear doors (Tesla sells a PPF kit for the rear doors.), a front license plate mount that does not contact the front bumper. Tow hitch package (the Tesla Service center can install after delivery. The tow hitch package enables you to attach a bike rack to the Model Y.)

Wheels and Tires: 12V tire inflator, tire plug kit, Modern Spare (an aftermarket spare tire that fits the Model Y), jack pads (to aid in locating the approved lift points when lifting the Model Y.) For winter driving in snow: a wheel and winter tire package.
Thank you for the reply! All awesome things I didn't even think about! Ordered majority of these already after reading!

I'll say my best "accessory" for my MY LR was the acceleration boost upgrade. Nothing else I've done has put as much of a smile on my face as that has. Absolutely the best 2k I spent on the car.

For things you didn't do but things I am glad I did were mud flaps, PPF at a reasonable price, found someone who did a great job ceramic coating for a reasonable amount. I did Gyeon ceramic coating on the seats. Pretty time consuming but already paying off. I live near a beach and the stock floor mats were worthless for sand or water. A phone mount that goes over the screen and has a little sunglass pocket behind and a good place to mount my phone either to the left or right of the screen. Mine came with the tow hitch and that is already being used for towing and bikes.

Don't know what wheels you have but I took off the wheel covers of my Gemini wheels and got lug nut covers and little hub caps and the wheels look pretty nice. Had the wheels, covers and the windows ceramic coated at the same time the rest of the car was done. Wheels clean up so much easier so far. I also ordered a swivel mount for my screen but it hasn't arrived.

I am trying to balance all the stuff I buy to save some $$$ for our MS when it arrives. If I spend too much now my wife will push back hard if I want to buy anything for the S. In the interim I ordered a spoiler and trying to get a set of wheels while she is gone on vacation. ;-)

Wheel and snow tire package? How bad is the AWD?

Do you mean the OE tires that come on the 20" Induction wheels; the Goodyear Eagle F1? You can do better, for example the Vredestein Quatrac Pro would be a better all-season tire for driving in snow.
Yep, I only ask I’m coming from a ‘20 Honda Passport AWD that was a beast in the snow here in SE WI. I’m shocked that Tesla chose Goodyear’s for the 20” Inductions. Michelin’s are much better generally speaking.

Yep, I only ask I’m coming from a ‘20 Honda Passport AWD that was a beast in the snow here in SE WI. I’m shocked that Tesla chose Goodyear’s for the 20” Inductions. Michelin’s are much better generally speaking.
The Tesla LRMY AWD works well. The LRMY AWD is rear biased, the stability control will keep the rear end from breaking away. There is a video that showed the tracks a 2020 Model Y equipped with the Goodyear Eagle F1 all-season tires left in the snow and in the snow bank and the front yard beyond the snow bank when the Model Y equipped with the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires was unable to negotiate a turn on a neighborhood street at low speed. The front wheels completely lost traction and the Model Y went off the road. Another 20 feet and the Model Y would have run into a Jeep that was parked on the street.

I don't regret Ceramic Pro or adding the Tesla Extended Warranty. I'm will not be buying FSD on my new X on order. Autopilot is just fine for trips and divided highways. I'll drive my own neighborhood myself, but I have it on the current MS and am looking forward to it rolling out.