Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the NHRA rules for a stock Tesla under 11.49???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
I'm heading to the track tomorrow for some drag racing. I'll be bringing a Model 3 Performance to the game. I know that the track, Cecil County Dragway, is very strict on NHRA rules. I even got kicked out in 2006 for going too fast in my stock Z06 without a cage going 11.24 at 127. I figure this Model 3 will run a best of 11.4x if given an optimal run. What's the official ruling? I know things change past 11.49 but I'm not sure what the details are. I've got a helmet, gloves, and a fire suit.

Thanks!

p.s. Any tips and tricks for launching this thing? Track mode? Slip mode? tire pressure [stock 20s]?

model 3 perf is usually about 11.7. There are two 11.5s on Dragy.
helmet is likely all you need.

turn off all accessories. don't use track mode. don't have any extra heavy junk in car.

I'm heading to the track tomorrow for some drag racing. I'll be bringing a Model 3 Performance to the game. I know that the track, Cecil County Dragway, is very strict on NHRA rules. I even got kicked out in 2006 for going too fast in my stock Z06 without a cage going 11.24 at 127. I figure this Model 3 will run a best of 11.4x if given an optimal run. What's the official ruling? I know things change past 11.49 but I'm not sure what the details are. I've got a helmet, gloves, and a fire suit.

Thanks!

p.s. Any tips and tricks for launching this thing? Track mode? Slip mode? tire pressure [stock 20s]?

I ran an 11.56 according to dragy which was measured at 11.601 by the drag strip. If you drop into 11.4xx I will be very impressed as I don't believe without mods anyone has yet. I'd just go give it a shot and see what happens before worrying about being faster than 11.5. No fire suit needed, and if you show up in one people will likely laugh at you as everyone at my local drag strip even the guys running in the 9s didn't have one. No track mode, no slip start for the best time. I've seen immaterial differences between brake hold on and off at the start, so if anything that's where you might want to experiment. Take good notes on SOC, ambient temps and any other notable factors so you can track your times.

Reactions: bhzmark
It took me less than 12 seconds to find an answer to your question using the internet. It looks like you need a roll bar/cage plus a few more things. I am guessing that many drag strips don’t follow NHRA safety requirements all of the time.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Try to go with someone who already went and can point basic things like the inspection and how the staging lines work etc. Sometimes they check that the helmet is approved by dot or something, not every helmet you get on amazon has the sticker they look for. I forget what it is.

What was your dragy time on that run?
11.55s @ 116.14 Dragy

Slip...
Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 1.30.40 PM.png

This rule was updated in 2012.

Recognizing the safety-inspired design and construction of today’s late model vehicles, the NHRA has actually rescinded its previous guidelines for street vehicles running 9.99 to 11.49 that required the use of a roll cage or roll bar, now permitting unaltered, 2008 and later model hard top vehicles to compete as they come from the factory without the addition of said roll bar/cage.

11.55s @ 116.14 Dragy

Slip...
View attachment 458513

So, if that's the case, my 11.499 pass is the fastest bone stock Model 3 to date, no?

Post up the dragy time slip too. I’m curious what the readout looks like since it sounds like the dragy was slower than the slip. My dragy reads faster than the local drag strip, so I’m wondering if there is an inconsistency.