TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What are the odds Model S gets Model X's air conditioned seats by this summer?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jan 21, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

The Model X is shipping with air conditioned, ventilated seats. So now the existence of air conditioned seats in a Tesla is no longer mere speculation. I realize the Model X is severely back ordered but one would think the air conditioned front seats are easy to ramp up production - no?

2. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would think not so easy due to the extra wiring, controls, etc. needed to do it. But I expect that the MS will have it at some point. They will need to do it from a competitive POV. And I think the current seats are a bit hot because they don't breathe at all. I definitely notice it and would like ventilation.

3. Mike K

Mike K Member

It should be rather easy if the seats are communicating with the car via a bus and everything is self contained in the seat. Theoretically it would require no additional wiring. Just add the hardware in the seat, adjust the car's firmware and you're good to go. This all assumes the seat is communicating on a bus though.

4. tstafford

tstafford Member

I had heard that rumors were that seats were one of the causes in the delays on the X. And I think it's usually the case that seats come from subcontractors not the assembler (Tesla). While I definitely think the MS needs seat ventilation to compete, I wouldn't delay an order in hopes of a near-term release. The car is too awesome to wait around for something like that.

5. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I think you can safely assume they'll show up on the Model S eventually.

However, I doubt it'll be alone or by this summer. If they do the rumored refresh to the S, it'll happen then.