Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the risks involved with lending out your TSLA shares?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who are LONG at Fidelity and lending shares and receiving interest in return -- did Fidelity contact you with the offer, or did you contact Fidelity?
I was contacted by Fidelity twice by email and once by phone call
Initially I was cool to the idea but when I actually calculated the money I was leaving on the table by not lending out my shares I realized that I could easily buy an extra 1000 to 2000 shares of TSLA with the annual interest that I'd be getting
(And I did, went another 2000 shares long which did increase my margin debt substantially and consequently reduced the total # of shares lent out but I really couldn't care less since I'm looking at multi-million dollar profits being long TSLA as many shares as I possibly can as opposed to making a few hundred thousands extra in interest payment every year. And who knows how long this short selling will last, if TSLA trades north of $300 within a year then most of these idiots will cover long before that)
We will see

Last edited:
For those who are LONG at Fidelity and lending shares and receiving interest in return -- did Fidelity contact you with the offer, or did you contact Fidelity?

Really responding to two posts - I moved accounts from Ameritrade to Fidelity, because Ameritrade doesn't have a Fully Paid Lending Program.

Once at Fidelity, I hunted like crazy on the website to figure it out. You want to talk to Fidelity Capital Markets. Officially, lending your shares is an invitation program (as in, Fidelity contacts you and invites you to join the program). There are some requirements about overall size of your account (something like $100k I believe).

In my case, I called FCM and asked them to invite me into the program :)

I also looked into moving from Ameritrade to IB. I believe the move would have been equally painless. I chose Fidelity because it was straightforward for me to have my accounts with Fidelity and not be on the hook for a monthly activity fee or trading a minimum amount. I think I could have arranged the same with IB, but I'd always have felt like I wasn't being as active of a trader as IB is designed to serve.

Reactions: Alketi
FYI -- Re share lending:

See below for the IB link on lending & the corresponding Fidelity program PDF:
Stock Yield Enhancement Program FAQs | IB Knowledge Base
https://fidelityinstitutional.fidelity.com/app/literature/view?itemCode=948750&renditionType=pdf

Moving to IB was easy.

Thanks! These were very helpful links.

For anyone who knows, let's say I lend my shares out to Fidelity. Fidelity puts collateral (of equal value to the shares I lend) into a 3rd party bank. Fidelity then let's say defaults somehow on this. So, then I go get the collateral from the 3rd party bank. Does anybody know if the collateral money would be considered taxable short-term income or would it be considered long-term capital gain (if the stock I lent out was treated as long-term capital gain)?

Also, does anybody know if a counterparty like Fidelity or IB has ever defaulted on a security loan? If so, when?

For anyone who knows, let's say I lend my shares out to Fidelity. Fidelity puts collateral (of equal value to the shares I lend) into a 3rd party bank. Fidelity then let's say defaults somehow on this. So, then I go get the collateral from the 3rd party bank. Does anybody know if the collateral money would be considered taxable short-term income or would it be considered long-term capital gain (if the stock I lent out was treated as long-term capital gain)?

Also, does anybody know if a counterparty like Fidelity or IB has ever defaulted on a security loan? If so, when?

Pulled from the black rock material:

"During the financial crisis, several sec lending counterparties ran into difficulties, including Bear Stearns, RBS and Lehman Bros. Notwithstanding these difficulties, Bear Stearns and RBS did not default on their loans, therefore, they had little impact on sec lending markets. Lehman Bros. defaulted and tested the system, including the legal framework and collateral management practices. However, lending agents were able to liquidate collateral and repurchase replacement securities without disrupting markets. As a result, we believe that lenders generally did not experience losses from counterparty risk."

Presumably the financial crisis and Lehman probably was one of the greatest test of the lending system. Based on black rock's pdf it sounds like it survived, albeit with diminished returns.

I'm guessing so long as we don't see one of the one in a generational event again, like we did with Lehman, the lending program will be pretty sound.

Reactions: neroden

No idea on the tax treatment. I think of it as a sale of the shares at yesterday's prices, but of course, actual tax treatment could be quite different. Then again, through dumb luck for me, the bulk of my TSLA (all the early shares), are in a ROTH IRA, so my tax issues are minimized.

No idea on the tax treatment. I think of it as a sale of the shares at yesterday's prices, but of course, actual tax treatment could be quite different. Then again, through dumb luck for me, the bulk of my TSLA (all the early shares), are in a ROTH IRA, so my tax issues are minimized.
Tax treatment is only when you actually sell the shares (lending is not a sale)
You however get interest income which is reported to IRS

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I just spoke with a Fidelity rep. Their current interest rate on TSLA shares is 8%...

One thing to note is that by entering the program you give up your voting rights on the stocks that are being lent. So, presumably Fidelity (or equivalent institution) would vote in place of you on items such as the SCTY merger.

I fail to see how you have rebutted my post at all. Making the shorts pay through the nose is incentive for them to do something nefarious.

Thank you kindly.
I'm not interested in rebutting your post
I couldn't care less for what you or anybody else thinks
I like making money, I'm good at it and this is exactly what I'm doing by lending out my thousands of shares to shorts as well as going superlong
Oh and I'll continue to lend my shares to shorts till kingdom comes

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
I just spoke with a Fidelity rep. Their current interest rate on TSLA shares is 8%...

One thing to note is that by entering the program you give up your voting rights on the stocks that are being lent. So, presumably Fidelity (or equivalent institution) would vote in place of you on items such as the SCTY merger.

Definitely the case that my lent out shares will not be voted by me - that's a specific right I give up when I lend them out.

The voting rights for those shares go with them to whoever buys the shares from the person establishing the short position by selling them.

So if A lends shares to B. Be then sells to open (B establishes a short position) the shares borrowed to C, C is now the owner of the shares who has voting rights. C is the person or entity that would be voting on anything that comes up for vote (assuming they are the owners on the record date).

This is why there has been so much discussion about people and entities recalling their lent shares. Those people wanted to re-establish themselves as the voting owner of those shares, so that they could vote on the SCTY merger.

Reactions: neroden
One of the main risks of lending your shares is that brokers may not act entirely in your best interest at all times. It's tough to imagine how that might impact TSLA lending when extreme circumstances occur -- e.g., VW short squeeze -- but it would be best to keep your eyes open.

A Wine Mogul Says Fidelity Cheated Him Out of Millions

Good article @Rarity. Thank you for sharing.

My own takeaway from this article are a few things:
1) A good explanation for why we can mark Elon's shares in the "not available to be borrowed" category (and other major shareholders). They could lose control of their company as a result of market illiquidity.
2) If you are establishing a large position in a company and intend to exercise control as a result - this is why you don't do so in a margin account, and why you don't permit your shares to be available to be borrowed by short sellers.

In the article, Fidelity found itself lending out shares in sufficient volume, and was a sufficiently large source of shares for short sellers, AND a big glob of the shares Fidelity were lending came from a single shareholder that then recalled those shares (by moving out of a margin account, among other actions), that the market proved to be sufficiently illiquid to satisfy the demand. For Fidelity to perform, they ended up in a position where they were competing in the market with their own customer. Not good.

This provides another insight into the risks involved in lending out one's shares, and from that point of view is quite valuable. I can then make my own assessment of this risk, and it's potential impact on me.

And we should all be aware of just how easy this could go sideways for us. When a short seller "sells to open", they in a very real sense create new shares in the market. As a result of short sales, there are 175M (ish) shares of TSLA that people in the market think they own. There are 150M(ish) shares that actually exist, so to resolve back to the 150M (ish) actual shares, a market price needs to be found that will persuade 25M(ish) owned shares that can be purchased and extinguished (buy to close by a short seller).

How high does the market price need to go to find those 25M longs that are willing to exist TSLA?

This risk is such that if I were in a decision making or control situation, then I would absolutely make sure my shares were unavailable to be lent to shorts. That means no margin borrowing against my shares, and no Fully Paid Lending Program. I'd say that it's this dynamic that is an important contributor to the relative scarcity of shares to be borrowed.

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
Is there a way to find out the lending rates without having an account through the broker?

Over in the Tracking Short Interest thread, we've been self-reporting rates that we're seeing. Mostly from people that are participating in fully paid lending programs and reporting the rates they are being paid or otherwise looking for the rates. I assume the rates paid by share borrowers are double the rates being reported by share lenders (for example, Fidelity is paying me 7.25% today to borrow my shares - I'm assuming a share borrower is paying Fidelity ~14.5% to borrow those shares from Fidelity).

You might be able to start initiating a short position (sell to open) the shares of TSLA, and before confirming the trade, see what the rates are you'll be paying to borrow the shares to initiate the position.

Nope - still all returned. @Yonki I think it was, has been posting a link to a spreadsheet where he's keeping up the historical rates Fidelity has paid to borrow and lend shares of TSLA. That'll provide some idea over the last 6-12 months, or how much of that time TSLA pays 0% to lend out the shares, and how much of the time it's more than that.

I'd say we're in a state where anybody that wants to be short TSLA can readily find shares available to borrow, yet those shares aren't being borrowed.

Sorry to revive this thread but I recall someone mentioning that in some rare cases when a stock is in a short-squeeze situation, the lenders of the stock for shorting can end up having their shares sold (with any profits still going to them) without consent. To me that would defeat gain of any interest made from lending your shares if you end up missing out on part of a short-squeeze as a long-term investor. I've tried to look into this but didn't find anything, anybody else know if this idea has legs or maybe it was a misunderstanding? Fidelity and Scwab saying tsla is hard to borrow as of Fri.