Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the . . . . . that appear at the top of the screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that my screen displays . . . . . . . on the same line that shows regenerative braking and that the number of dots varies, but I haven't determined a cause. I cannot find anything in the documentation explaining what it's showing me. Anyone know? Thanks!

I just noticed that my screen displays . . . . . . . on the same line that shows regenerative braking and that the number of dots varies, but I haven't determined a cause. I cannot find anything in the documentation explaining what it's showing me. Anyone know? Thanks!
That is indicating when regen is limited. The further to the right it is, the less regen you will get. Generally will see this when you’re charged 90% or above, or when the pack is cold.

As the battery falls below 90% or the pack warms up, you will see it become more solid, and less dots.

When you have low battery, you will see the same dots on the right side (acceleration side), which would indicate reduced acceleration power.

Generally a cold battery. It's indicating that the car will regenerate less aggressively until the better warms. Dots on the right side typically happen at a low state of charge and indicate reduced max power.

Reactions: Susala
@Susala I'm trying to run through my mind a bunch of different ways of urgently suggesting that you read the Owners Manual, without sounding like a jerk in the process.

I'm failing horribly. So please, do yourself (and the human beings around your car) a huge favor, and read the Owner's Manual. :)

I'm a typical guy... I hate owners manuals. Just hate 'em. Always feel like I'm stupid if I ever have to break down and read one.

But every single Tesla owner NEEDS to read the manual. Cover to cover. No exceptions. Read it like your life (and the lives of others around you) depends on it. 'Cause it does.

@Susala I'm trying to run through my mind a bunch of different ways of urgently suggesting that you read the Owners Manual, without sounding like a jerk in the process.

I'm failing horribly. So please, do yourself (and the human beings around your car) a huge favor, and read the Owner's Manual. :)

I'm a typical guy... I hate owners manuals. Just hate 'em. Always feel like I'm stupid if I ever have to break down and read one.

But every single Tesla owner NEEDS to read the manual. Cover to cover. No exceptions. Read it like your life (and the lives of others around you) depends on it. 'Cause it does.
Thanks for Mansplaining about the need to read the Owners Manual. I have, in fact, read the entire manual cover-to-cover one year ago when I bought my Tesla. I didn't recall seeing those dots before, so I did a couple of searches and came up empty. Upon your gentle nudging, I will take it to bed with me tonight and give it another read. (-;

• Disagree
Reactions: Bill Foster
Thanks for Mansplaining about the need to read the Owners Manual. I have, in fact, read the entire manual cover-to-cover one year ago when I bought my Tesla. I didn't recall seeing those dots before, so I did a couple of searches and came up empty. Upon your gentle nudging, I will take it to bed with me tonight and give it another read. (-;

In the current version of the manual, it's covered on page 58.
upload_2020-1-24_10-37-35.png

• Informative
Reactions: swaltner

Agreed. And I have. In fact, am in the habit of doing this with all of my cars. However, I have found it difficult at times to find my answers there, so have appreciated the help I have received from this forum. Some have referred me to the proper section in the manual - which sometimes doesn't match the version I have saved on my desktop, but which is still very helpful. I guess my point is not to immediately assume that OP's have not already searched the manual.

Reactions: Susala