Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the various software based "upgrades" for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Full Self Driving" (not called "autodrive") = 10K
Acceleration boost (if applicable to model Y, others will correct me if its not) = 2k

Homelink is not a software based upgrade, its a hardware module install, along with telling the car its there. In any case, thats $300

"Full Self Driving" (not called "autodrive") = 10K
Acceleration boost (if applicable to model Y, others will correct me if its not) = 2k

Homelink is not a software based upgrade, its a hardware module install, along with telling the car its there. In any case, thats $300
Interesting. They call it Auto Pilot in the configuration. Maybe they use different terms in different places. I still got the term wrong. :)
I wonder why the Homelink module isn't something you can put on the order. It's annoying if I have to make a special service appt for it. Maybe they'll send a rover/mobile to do it.

Interesting. They call it Auto Pilot in the configuration. Maybe they use different terms in different places. I still got the term wrong. :)
I wonder why the Homelink module isn't something you can put on the order. It's annoying if I have to make a special service appt for it. Maybe they'll send a rover/mobile to do it.

"autopilot" comes with the car. "full self driving" is an add on purchase. I am in the US just like you so its called the same thing.

tesla order form.JPG

Yea, I'm just not reading the website right.

Anything else?? Or just those items? They don't really tell you about any options on the ordering page.

You mentioned software, so no, there isnt anything else. The choices when ordering a tesla model 3 (or Y) are pretty basic:

1. Choice of a few exterior colors
2. Choice of black or white interior
3. Choice of a couple wheel options (and on model y a tow hitch I believe)
4. Choice to purchase full self driving or not.

Thats it as far as ordering, as far as I know. You can not order the acceleration boost through the order page, I believe it must be added after delivery (software option). You can not order homelink (hardware) pre delivery, must be ordered after taking delivery.

Thats it, basically. I believe model S and X have more options during purchase but dont have personal experience with ordering those but it looks like you might

FWIW, I've been advised that I should order the FSD and boost after receiving the car. That way I can get points for my credit card. Which I'll promptly use on Amazon to get a bunch of accessories (sentry drive, roof shade, etc).
That is a smart move, good to know. Would it be the same price ($10k) for FSD if ordered immediately after receiving the car?

Last edited:
Why it is 8K instead of 10K for me?

The price is what it was when you placed your order, even if you didn't order FSD at the time.
You need to add on FSD before delivery to keep that price -- it goes up to the current price ($10K) if you add it after that point.

We decided that FSD wasn't worth $8K *for our specific situation*. While the price increase made it tempting to get it 'only' $8K, logic says that we should still make the same decision regardless of the new list price.

I can see people that some people would put the value at above $10K. Especially if you drive lots of miles, have a driver that isn't comfortable driving (older, bad night vision, etc), drive tipsy, etc. But autosteer/autopilot is a substantial subset of the FSD capability.

Am I in the minority?

new to Tesla, bought a 2021 MY LR Dual Motor in mid December. Cam to the point in my life where I was fortunate to be able to reduce my carbon impact without giving perfomance up. Its a great car, fun, practical, attractive. But Im perplexed by all the hype....Autopilot is fine, but nothing earth shattering- other car is a 2016 VW Golf Wagon fully loaded with lane keeping assist, self parking, radar cruise control (start-stop), front collision warning, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot...etc etc...my comment for all here is this: Love my Model Y, but in terms of Autopiliot, and beta steering in city, am I missing something?...its just not that impressive. My Golf does very similar stuff in terms of lane keeping and radar cruise in stop and go traffic. Golf has excellent self-parking (would have to pay an absurd $10,800 here in Canada for FSD to get that on the Y. F=GOlf has blind spot monitoring with lighting in the sire mirrors, Tesla does not have this which is a MAJOR safety oversight IMO...sorry, looking at screen is not a substitute and is delayed and unrelianble anyway. Unless Im missing something, I feel that generally, Tesla owners are far to giddy about AUtopilot and FSD to be objective; or..., they are perhaps a little ignorant oof whats out there...my Golf is 4 years old...and not a luxury brand yet the tech is excellent....again, I love my Model Y but see its shortcomings and feel Autopilot/FSD is overhyped

Reactions: ArizonaJon