Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the Various Uses for the NEUTRAL Gear ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a few months of ownership, I finally got around to putting the car into Neutral , as I was driving at a slow speed, to see how it would work on a Tesla.

In my last manual 6 speed, I had found some uses for the neutral gear in my driving and when on long trips etc.

Those that have had a Tesla longer than me:

What uses and situations (and hacks) have you found where you put the car into Neutral ?

I noticed in my old Model S (RWD) the car uses aprox 400 Watt less when in N. Even when I'm just sitting on a red light. Just having the car in D keeps the drive unit energized and use 400 Watt. I sure hope they have fixed that in the Model 3.

A few years ago Tesla talked about fixing this problem by using what they call 'torque sleep'. It sure doesn't work even though a firmware update in my car specifically mentioned it now being implemented in all cars (dual motor and RWD).

I noticed in my old Model S (RWD) the car uses aprox 400 Watt less when in N. Even when I'm just sitting on a red light. Just having the car in D keeps the drive unit energized and use 400 Watt. I sure hope they have fixed that in the Model 3.

A few years ago Tesla talked about fixing this problem by using what they call 'torque sleep'. It sure doesn't work even though a firmware update in my car specifically mentioned it now being implemented in all cars (dual motor and RWD).
Do you have creep on? If so, try turning it off and see if you no longer need to shift to neutral to save the 400 Watts.

Reactions: SammichLover
Do you have creep on? If so, try turning it off and see if you no longer need to shift to neutral to save the 400 Watts.

I don't have creep on. I just did a test with creep on and off. No difference. Once the car is not in motion it will not power the motor even when creep is on. Only when you start to release the brake it will apply a small amount of power. IOW, creep neither uses more energy nor does it contribute to the 400 Watt of power drawn all the time the car is in D.

I commonly use neutral to coast when on a decline or coming to a stop light or stop sign. Doing it enough seems to save considerable range. I hope that with FSD, Tesla will implement a system to detect inclines / declines and calculate the range saving benefits of shifting into neutral.

Getting an alignment! Super useful when scribing tires and/or rolling the car around on the scales.

I commonly use neutral to coast when on a decline or coming to a stop light or stop sign. Doing it enough seems to save considerable range. I hope that with FSD, Tesla will implement a system to detect inclines / declines and calculate the range saving benefits of shifting into neutral.

Couldn't you just feather the accelerator to give the same result (i.e minimal regen and just coasting)

Reactions: ABC2D
The disadvantage of being in neutral at a SS or light is if you’re rear ended you get pushed into the middle of the intersection and traffic. If in gear there’s resistance to this. This is why many stick shift drivers will keep in gear with clutch depressed at stops. Easier to let foot off clutch in emergency.

I commonly use neutral to coast when on a decline ......... Doing it enough seems to save considerable range..

This is what I was hoping to get input from long time Tesla owners on .

1) Is there an actual difference in range increase, and less battery usage with being in neutral , as opposed to simply feathering the acceleration where it shows no regen ?

2) Does having the cruise control set at some constant speed , automatically use coasting as a method to help keep speed , as opposed to always being in a regen or acceleration state ?

3) When going down (even a slight) decline , when you do not want regen slowing you down, is there any disadvantage of shifting into neutral, to minimize battery usage ?

I was wondering if the electric motors in the Tesla work similarity to an automatic transmission in the sense that when an automatic is shifted to neutral the hydraulic pump that circulates the oil in the transmission stops pumping. I don’t know if the Tesla electric motors pump oil in neutral, drive and reverse or if it too also stops the pumping in neutral hence why someone said they noticed a 400W decrease in energy consumption when shifted to neutral.

Unfortunately, "Neutral" is only allowed while someone is inside the car. The moment you open the door, it goes into "Park". This is an issue when at a Car Wash, since someone has to stay inside the car during the wash. At my Car Wash in Bellaire, TX, the workers have learned this, and a worker rides inside every Tesla through the wash.