TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What are the Voice Commands you can give?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by randrave, May 3, 2015.

1. randrave

randrave Member

I'm an owner for about 8 days now, and absolutely love my Model S, but I can't find anywhere a list of the available commands that can be used through the steering wheel controls.

I have these:

"NAVIGATE TO [address]" -- controls navigation and will search for address.

"PLAY [song or artist or whatever]": when I've used this it seems to open a search on Slacker. Usually, I havent gotten it to just play the song (I'm on the Premium subscription), which would be cool, but rather give me choices for selection on the screen.

Those are are the only two I know. Can anyone help me out with the others? Can't find a list anywhere...

Thanks in advance!

2. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Those two, and "Call..." are it.

Isn't the list in the online manual?

For Slacker, it works best if you give song and author.
    For navigation, if you give it the specific street address, and it exists, it will set it automatically as your destination.
    If the exact address doesn't exist, or you ask for something such as to be directed to the nearest McDonalds you will get a list of options.

3. youlikeadajuice

You can also say "Bug Report" and follow it with a brief description of what is wrong and it will be sent along to Tesla.

4. randrave

randrave Member

Tha is, Zythryn. I looked through the manual and could not find it. I don't discount the possibility of user error in that regard.

Helpdul info, thanks.

5. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

From the "Steering Wheel" section, starting on page 39 of the 3/26/15 version of the online PDF manual.

6. Larry93428

Larry93428 Member

Well done, Rick.
    Thanks,
    ~Larry

7. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Small annoyance I've noticed is that the keyword is "navigate", not "navigate to". If I tell it to "navigate to 6-1-2 main street", it will take me to "2612 main street".

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

You can say "Drive To" & "Call"
    I'd like a "Cancel navigation"

9. gzerninplatz

gzerninplatz Member

You also use "Call" to access an entry in your contacts list that you want to navigate to...then just click on the address instead of the phone when it pops up...you can't say "Navigate [person name]"

10. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

That's right. And that works the other way also. Call accesses the contacts and navigate accesses a general online directory of nearby businesses. So if you want to call the local Starbucks don't say call Starbucks. Say where is Starbucks when the Starbucks comes up select the phone number from that Starbucks entry

11. randrave

randrave Member

Thanks, Rick, for the manual reference. I looked through the manual, the table of contents, and the index for references to "voice commands" and couldn't find them. Didn't occur to me they'd be covered under the "steering wheel" section. Not the most intuitive organization....

12. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

How do you cancel route guidance by voice command?

13. travwill

travwill Member

You cant. Have to hit cancel button.

14. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

With my former car, you could push the button and say "Help" and it would give you a verbal summary of the commands and functions. Wish Tesla would do something like that... even if all it did was bring up a list on the 17" screen.