Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are the Voice Commands you can give?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an owner for about 8 days now, and absolutely love my Model S, but I can't find anywhere a list of the available commands that can be used through the steering wheel controls.

I have these:

"NAVIGATE TO [address]" -- controls navigation and will search for address.

"PLAY [song or artist or whatever]": when I've used this it seems to open a search on Slacker. Usually, I havent gotten it to just play the song (I'm on the Premium subscription), which would be cool, but rather give me choices for selection on the screen.

Those are are the only two I know. Can anyone help me out with the others? Can't find a list anywhere...

Thanks in advance!

Those two, and "Call..." are it.

Isn't the list in the online manual?

For Slacker, it works best if you give song and author.
For navigation, if you give it the specific street address, and it exists, it will set it automatically as your destination.
If the exact address doesn't exist, or you ask for something such as to be directed to the nearest McDonalds you will get a list of options.

From the "Steering Wheel" section, starting on page 39 of the 3/26/15 version of the online PDF manual.

Using Voice Commands

You can use voice commands to call a contact, navigate, or listen to Internet music. Press and hold the voice button on the upper right side of the steering wheel. When you hear the tone, speak your command while continuing to hold down the voice button. Release the button when you finish speaking.

• To call a contact on your Bluetooth connected phone, say “Call” or “Dial,” followed by the contact’s first and/or last name(s). For example, “Call Eric” or “Call Mike Phillips.”

• To search for, or navigate to, a location, say “Where is,” “Drive,” or “Navigate,” followed by an address, business name, business category, or landmark. For example, “Drive to Tesla in Menlo Park,” “Drive to Starbucks on Homestead in Cupertino,” or “Where is Stanford University?” If you have defined a navigation address for your home or work locations, you can use a voice command to "Navigate home" or "Navigate to work."

• To listen to an Internet music service, say “Listen to,” or “Play,” followed by the name of the song, album, artist or combination. To improve voice recognition accuracy, provide multiple cues in your command, such as artist plus song (for example, “Play Honky Chateau by Elton John” or “Listen to Boogie Wonderland”).

Note: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" followed by your brief comments. Model S takes a snapshot of its systems, including screen captures of the touchscreen and instrument panel. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model S.

That's right. And that works the other way also. Call accesses the contacts and navigate accesses a general online directory of nearby businesses. So if you want to call the local Starbucks don't say call Starbucks. Say where is Starbucks when the Starbucks comes up select the phone number from that Starbucks entry

Thanks, Rick, for the manual reference. I looked through the manual, the table of contents, and the index for references to "voice commands" and couldn't find them. Didn't occur to me they'd be covered under the "steering wheel" section. Not the most intuitive organization....

With my former car, you could push the button and say "Help" and it would give you a verbal summary of the commands and functions. Wish Tesla would do something like that... even if all it did was bring up a list on the 17" screen.