Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are these slots for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I have a July/Aug 2017 build MS. On the back of my rear view mirror pedestal, I have some vertical slots and I would like to know what they are for. I went to my SC and many of the inventory cars don't have them. There is also a little hole on the back of the mirror itself that looks like a sensor. The folks at the SC could't tell me what they were. See attached image.
I want to install a DashCam but don't want to cover up anything important.

IMG_2325.jpg

The sensor on the back of the mirror is a light sensor. You don't want to block that.
I have no idea what the slots are for. I've noticed it on some cars and not on others, but I haven't taken the time to draw a correlation. For example, my 2015 has them, but it's a much different housing design than yours.

Mirror.jpg

Last edited:
Cooling of the cameras would be my bet
I originally thought that too, but in both the AP1 & AP2 setup, the slots aren't in the camera housing cover, they're in the rearview mirror mounting stalk. The other reason why I veered from the cooling camera thought is because the slots are facing forward, into the radiant heat from the windshield. For cooling, the backside of the housing, closer to the cameras and less radiant heat source, would work better.

Last edited:
I originally thought that too, but in both the AP1 & AP2 setup, the slots aren't in the camera housing cover, their in the rearview mirror mounting stalk. The other reason why I veered from the cooling camera thought is because the slots are facing forward, into the radiant heat from the windshield. For cooling, the backside of the housing, closer to the cameras and less radiant heat source, would work better.

but that would be "unsightly". my bet is cooling as well

but that would be "unsightly". my bet is cooling as well
Like I said, it's not in the same housing, and nowhere near the actual camera(s). Also, cooling louvers need to be at the top of your device you are trying to cool, as heat radiates up. Passive louvers at the bottom do little good unless you also have passive louvers at the top for the heat to escape through.

That said, I'm not saying it can't be channeling air for cooling something, it just wouldn't make much sense for the cameras that are located in the top housing at the back of the top housing.

And more interesting info....
Here's a quote from another thread:
"... I initially tried to order it [mirror-mounted dash cam], however the seller informed me that Tesla had revised the housing for the Model S AP2 mirror several times affectind how well it fit . He had me remove the housing and send him the part number...."