Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you experiencing during 100F weather with your system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Thought it might be helpful to those considering installing a system or increasing theirs to see how people are fairing in these 100F temps right now with their PV + ESS systems.

Here’s our info, Tesla install, PTO end of September 2019, first summer of use in southern SF Calif. bay area, PG&E/SVCE EV2-A:

24-340s (8.16kW) Q-Cell solar panels, originally were going to get 2 PWs but before scheduling added a 3rd. Glad we did. 3800 sq ft, 2-story house with old 10SEER Carrier 5-ton split A/C (draws around 6kW, Tesla installed a soft start on it). Major loads are A/C, Double oven, and charging our two cars periodically. Panels are split almost evenly between SE and SW roof sections.

Here’s how today’s graph/usage looks at around 9pm. Started morning replenishing our PWs from night before—at 10:24am we were at 80%. Our thermostat is set at 76F, comfortable, and today’s high was about 102F. It’s in the upper 80s now and projected to drop tonight to the mid-60s by 6am. Basically your seeing A/C use registering the spikes with dinner time spike adding microwave usage. We have our 3 PW reserve set to I think around 30% so expect to be running A/C off of the grid sometime overnight but at non-peak hours.

AF238E2C-FD90-4252-8BDA-E7CB2BF65823.jpeg 9A68F32F-BFAA-47C3-97B1-EE12F0386BF6.jpeg
6C32630C-F189-4D19-830C-AF7422FE1DA4.jpg 7532D8D4-A9B6-43F7-A297-ED823AFBED9F.png

Please add your own info. While we didn’t add much to the grid during the peak hours, we stayed comfortable and weren’t adding to the draw on the grid today, hopefully keeping power on to others relying on grid power.

Last edited:
I have 23 micro inverters on panels all facing the same direction. At high noon on every day but today… the Tesla app says 7kW.

Today was 6.6kW… so I lost 6% peak production due to the heat.

Produced 52kWh and used 52kWh so far. Maybe setting the AC to 73F is a bad idea unless I get more panels…

Our daily production this week has ranged from 50kWh to 54.9kWh. Today was predicted to be our hottest and came in at 48kWh. One day last month hit 57kWh with cooler temps and nice sunny day with a nice bell curve.

There's lots of construction going on around the area and in town and from driving around noticed everyone's solar panels appear pretty dust covered including a neighbor who had Tesla adding extra panels to his house in the last two weeks.

Last edited:
Produced 180kwh yesterday, peak 21.5kw. With ac running at 72F on 3 PW's, lowest they have gotten to this morning at 26%

Lol we emptied 3x Powerwalls from 3pm to 9pm. Like 38 kWh of cold air dumped back into the house, lots of baking and cooking, dishes, and two loads of laundry during peak time.

After seeing that thread about a guy with a Tesla Powerpack, I feel like I need one of those bad boys lol.

I definitely need more solar :(

Reactions: h2ofun
Lol we emptied 3x Powerwalls from 3pm to 9pm. Like 38 kWh of cold air dumped back into the house, lots of baking and cooking, dishes, and two loads of laundry during peak time.

After seeing that thread about a guy with a Tesla Powerpack, I feel like I need one of those bad boys lol.

I definitely need more solar :(
Yes, if I had only 3 PW's, with my AC AND the house loads with things like electric dryer, Yep, I would hit my 10% reserve all the time.

My 3 PW's are still at 24%. Its pulling solar and grid since it is a lot to charge back up. And in the winter, with my heat pumps, I guess I will just be pulling lots from my PGE battery. I have never seen anyone say they have too much solar, even though right now, without EV's, I can probably say that in summer. But hoping to get a little more in winter, and have banked a lot of credits

Yes, if I had only 3 PW's, with my AC AND the house loads with things like electric dryer, Yep, I would hit my 10% reserve all the time.

My 3 PW's are still at 24%. Its pulling solar and grid since it is a lot to charge back up. And in the winter, with my heat pumps, I guess I will just be pulling lots from my PGE battery. I have never seen anyone say they have too much solar, even though right now, without EV's, I can probably say that in summer. But hoping to get a little more in winter, and have banked a lot of credits

Its funny, you hear alot of phrases thrown around, witness the degredation of the word "literally" :)

However, when one says "I have never heard anyone complain about too much solar or too many PWs" - that is not only accurate, but you can finish the sentence and say "and I have heard almost everyone say they would add more if they could."

Me too. I am telling all my friends about legendary h2o and everyone is envious.

My 8.5kW system with 2 PW supplied all energy yesterday for my AC, 1 laundry load (wash and dry) and 1 dishwasher load..... Switched to self power mid day to conserved battery for night time use tho..... End up with low 20% by midnight.

My system in El Dorado Hills has been running great 7.5 kw peaks at about 6.2 kw. 2 powerwalls installed last Nov. I am grandfathered on PGE E6 until end of 2022 so focus has been on selling back to grid during peak time. Worked great until power failure last night around 9 pm and my batteries shut down at 5%. So, bumping my reserve number back to 40% during this heatwave.