Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you getting for Wh / mile at 80 mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats in line with Troy's estimates (270 mile range at 80 mph ~ 290 Wh/mile)

That implies over 78kWh of energy from the battery. The battery is thought to be 75kWh and of course you can't use all of it.

240 miles range at that speed seems more realistic (70kWh available).

That implies over 78kWh of energy from the battery. The battery is thought to be 75kWh and of course you can't use all of it.

240 miles range at that speed seems more realistic (70kWh available).

EPA doc shows 80.5 KWh pack, 78270 Wh usable (beginning of life), 89404 Wh AC for a recharge.
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=42148&flag=1

Tesla likes to refer to a 50 kWh and 75 kWh, but honestly, they don't like using KWh as a metric either from what I understand.

65 mph is ~ 220 Wh/mile

A Model 3 traveling at sea level at 80 mph (36 meters/sec) has another
150 N of Air drag,*
= 41.6 Wh/km
= 67 Wh/mile

Added together, 287 Wh/mile.
The useful point here is that once you have accurately measured the car on at one speed it is easy and accurate to model other normative highway speeds because the only Wh/mile variable to consider is Aero.

Air drag is 0.5 * Rho * Cd * A * v * v
For the Model 3,
Cd = 0.23
A = 2.34
0.5 * Rho (sea level) = 0.6125
So Cd * A * 0.5 * Rho = 0.16482375
So Aero drag is v*v*0.16482375 in Newtons, or ~ v*v / 6 (about 1% error)

Work = Force * distance
Newtons * meters = Joules
Newtons/3.6 = Wh/km
1 Km = 0.62 miles

Last edited:
80 mph??? OMG! I think I'd be scared to drive any car at 80 mph long enough to figure out the efficiency. One of the things I love most about this car is that I can drive it let it drive itself at the speed limit and it takes away all the stress and anxiety. No need to drive it fast.

80 MPH is pretty much traffic speed in some areas, while anything faster than 55 mph might feel crazy in other parts of the US. I was quite surprised by this when I traveled a bit around.

The irony is when those high travel speeds are in congested areas. I suppose it is a psychological compensation of sorts: 80 mph once in a while, 20 mph the rest of the time.

I fel
I have hardly touched 80 in my life, may be inadvertently. 75 sometimes in lonely stretches, but mostly between 70 to 75.

That's odd because I was in Austin this past November driving 100 miles to a small town and I was commonly doing 70-80 and people were still passing me. In New Jersey, everyone was doing 45-60. Going between LA to SF or LA to Vegas, 80-100 is pretty common.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vaxe
I have a P3D+ Model 3.

I go from 0 to 80 in 3.6 seconds...…..then regen back to 0......then 0 -80 in 3.6 seconds.....then regen back to 0.....all the way to work ( 49 miles). .

Lets see...that might be an average of 40mph.

I wonder what I would have to do to average 80mph? :cool: