Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you getting for Wh / mile at 80 mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
80 mph??? OMG! I think I'd be scared to drive any car at 80 mph long enough to figure out the efficiency. One of the things I love most about this car is that I can drive it let it drive itself at the speed limit and it takes away all the stress and anxiety. No need to drive it fast.

Wow really?? I live in Austin and after you get outside the city the speed limit is usually 75. On I10 east of San Antonio to El Paso the speed limit is 80. On the toll road between Austin and San Antonio the speed limit is 85.

I fel

That's odd because I was in Austin this past November driving 100 miles to a small town and I was commonly doing 70-80 and people were still passing me. In New Jersey, everyone was doing 45-60. Going between LA to SF or LA to Vegas, 80-100 is pretty common.

Yeah I live in Austin and 85 is not that uncommon outside the city. I just drove to FL round trip and averaged 280 on sport wheels doing 75-80 most of the way. I even accidentally got the red steering wheel on autopilot and was hand slapped until I pulled over and put the car in park.

Oh and one thing I noticed is road surface makes a huge difference in the efficiency. The smoother the asphalt the better the wh/mile.

Thats a very interesting observation that i havent thought about. Probably equivalent to different tires.

I figure fresh asphalt is much worse than hard concrete. Freeways here in california seem to moving towards concrete than aspbalt which probably is terrible for your suspension but great for your efficiency.

80 mph??? OMG! I think I'd be scared to drive any car at 80 mph long enough to figure out the efficiency. One of the things I love most about this car is that I can drive it let it drive itself at the speed limit and it takes away all the stress and anxiety. No need to drive it fast.
Really? The speed limit in Idaho and Utah is 80. I have driven thousands of miles on those high speed freeways and I just dial in 80 on the cruise control and let it go, with occasional shifts to the left lane to pass slower trucks. No need to fret about speeding tickets either, since I am going the speed limit.

80 mph is a fairly common speed in places with wide open spaces and Tesla uses performance tires rated for high speeds. I can't speak for the 3, but my S60 is very smooth and stable at 80. People in a hurry drive their Teslas at 90.

Reactions: Mobius484
I had my Roadster up to 90 once, for about five seconds. Scared the piss out of myself. I had been on the freeway doing the speed limit, which was 70, when a VW Bug came up from behind and started to pass me. I decided to show him what a Tesla can do and floored the pedal. I went from 70 to 90 in an eyeblink. The Roadster is a snail compared to the P100D Model S (which didn't yet exist back then) but it still threw my head back. Like I said, I went 90 for maybe five seconds, then slowed back down, and got back into the slow lane going the speed limit and a little while later the VW passed me. I wan't trying to beat him anywhere, just wanted to show him what my car could do.

But when the Model 3 is driving itself, I'm so relaxed I'm not in any hurry. The speed limit is plenty fast enough. If I move to Maui, there's only a couple of places were the limit even gets up to 55. I am envious as hell of people with the P3D, but I have zero need for that kind of performance.

Great section of road for sampling. No wind to speak up this am. First try came in at 79mph. Gave it ago again. Love SD. Pretty flat. Keep it safe everyone.

Screenshot_20180901-084302_Gmail.jpg

Did you do both directions or just one way?
What's your config?

Turn phone horizontal and you can see signature line 3LR. I don't love science enough to drive the same section of 83 miles over again. Sorry if I was unclear. I did my previous leg and only got avg 79 mph.

Did another however starting to gain elevation. Previous stretch has one of the highest speeds in country with little elevation change. Plus very little traffic. Just watch out for animals. Even tiny roadkill can send you flying at those speeds.

Screenshot_20180901-112044_Gmail.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: davedavedave
Turn phone horizontal and you can see signature line 3LR. I don't love science enough to drive the same section of 83 miles over again. Sorry if I was unclear. I did my previous leg and only got avg 79 mph.

Did another however starting to gain elevation. Previous stretch has one of the highest speeds in country with little elevation change. Plus very little traffic. Just watch out for animals. Even tiny roadkill can send you flying at those speeds.

View attachment 330947

Your sig does not list your config. Particularly, wheels and powertrain.

People generally go both directions to eliminate not only elevation (even seemingly "flat" land can have meaningful changes over time) and weather (even seemingly "calm" weather can have an impact. E.g. a 2.5 mph tailwind becoming a 2.5 mph headwind becomes an effective 5mph speed difference).

I'm amazed by the other owners here saying they never go 80, especially in Texas!!! Driving through west Texas I don't think I ever dipped below 95 mph for a 3 hour period straight (in a gas car, I don't think the Tesla would last that long at that speed).

My car has seen the cruise control set at 82-85 mph every single day of it's life under my ownership. I average about 290 Wh/mi like someone else said and up to 320 Wh/mi if it's windy. I have the 19" wheels inflated to 42 psi.

I still get passed by semi trucks in the RIGHT HAND LANE going 85 mph on the freeway here. I hate it because they'll get mad I was going so slow and cut me off peppering my car with rocks. We have one of the most dangerous stretches of roads here with truckers because something about this region turns them into absolute nutjobs. I was doing 100+ in my old BMW and still got passed by a (presumably unloaded) semi truck. I didn't even think it was physically possible for them to go that fast but I see them doing 90+ every single day so I guess they have some power to spare.

I mentioned wind.
3LR indicates Model 3 indicated. Don't you see the LR? Don't see a P or a D. Do you?

You want me to drive 258 miles? In South Dakota for the meaningful differences and statistical variations.

Sorry no time for that. Fishing in the Winds of Wyoming sounds much more appealing. More than welcome to try it on your own. You will have to guess on wheels. Hint they improve efficiency.

As I always say you can't please everybody. Mine as well please nobody.

I mentioned wind.
3LR indicates Model 3 indicated. Don't you see the LR? Don't see a P or a D. Do you?

LR only indicates the battery. If you want to say no AWD or P, the notation for that is "RWD". And a proper config has to have wheels; it's a pretty meaningless measurement without that.

You want me to drive 258 miles

Nah. 20 miles each way would be better than 258 miles one way.

• Disagree
Air drag is 0.5 * Rho * Cd * A * v * v
For the Model 3,
Cd = 0.23
A = 2.34
0.5 * Rho (sea level) = 0.6125
So Cd * A * 0.5 * Rho = 0.16482375
So Aero drag is v*v*0.16482375 in Newtons, or ~ v*v / 6 (about 1% error)

Error above ... The 0.5 was included twice so the correct expression should be
Cd * A * 0.5 * Rho = 0.3296475. Call it 1/3

Continuing ..
V (m/s) = 0.45 * V (mph)
Aero (V mph) - Aero (65 mph) = 1/3 * V * 0.45 * V * 0.45 - 1/3 * v*0.45 * v * 0.45 = 0.33*0.45*0.45 * (V+v) * (V-v)
= 0.065878326 * (V+v) * (V-v)

Mushed all together

Additional Wh/km = (V+65)*(V-65)/54.65 or
Additional Wh/mile = (V+65)*(V-65)/33.88
Or for those who want a graph:
Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 11.14.16 AM.jpg

Reactions: David99