Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you ordering? RWD, AWD, P?

Which M3 version have you/will you be ordering?

• RWD, Standard Range

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • RWD, Long Range

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • AWD, Standard Range

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • AWD, Long Range

Votes: 41 40.2%
  • Performance

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • Performance with Perf Package

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Canceled Reservation

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P with performance package
Pearl white paint
White interior
EAP
Mods to come....

Configured yesterday. Delivery Aug - Oct. Current 90D MX owner since March 2016. Hoping Tesla honors current owner priority for delivery since they didn't for configurations.

Reactions: ibdb
For the AWD orders out there, are you getting it mainly for quicker acceleration or for snow/weather reasons (or other reasons)?

Two others:

1) I ordered hoping for slightly better range. Maybe not Model S -> Model S D difference but a nice 4% or so would be good. Just a day later and some stuff dug up out of webpage code suggests Tesla will rate the SR-D with a slightly shorter range than the SR. The LR, LR-D, and P all the same range but we know they are heavily sandbagging on the LR, so the pattern could easily hold with LR-D having slightly shorter range. :( I knew it was something of a gamble because the motor configuration is much different, still a bit disappointed.

2) More active braking for one-pedal driving. The testing I've seen using a g-force meter says that the Model 3 LR has noticeable weaker regen braking than the Chevy Bolt. It makes sense because the Bolt is FWD so the car puts more down on the drive wheel under braking, where-as during de-acceleration there will be some transfer away from the LR's rear wheels. This won't be the case with the LR-D, should be similar to the Model S D vehicles (which I've test driven, too), and I've really liked the strength of braking in the Bolt's one-pedal driving mode.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lunarx and SoCalGuy
According to my ISA, the car is sitting ready for me. At this point I'm ready to accept the order as is. Thought I would have some time to get my HPWC installed but it looks like my car will be here before it is installed in my garage. I have asked my ISA for the VIN as it's not listed on my profile page.

Two others:

1) I ordered hoping for slightly better range. Maybe not Model S -> Model S D difference but a nice 4% or so would be good. Just a day later and some stuff dug up out of webpage code suggests Tesla will rate the SR-D with a slightly shorter range than the SR. The LR, LR-D, and P all the same range but we know they are heavily sandbagging on the LR, so the pattern could easily hold with LR-D having slightly shorter range. :( I knew it was something of a gamble because the motor configuration is much different, still a bit disappointed.

That would be unfortunate - but that would explain why everyone is getting well over 325-330 miles of range despite the 310 rating. I wonder why the D version on the M3 will get less range - perhaps just the added weight and the fact that the rear motor is already very efficient (PEM vs AC).

Getting AWD because it is ESSENTIAL for driving in the snow and ice of upstate NY. A next door neighbor who had a Model S said the early Model S with RWD was marginal in snow and ice. Then traded for an AWD Model X and now also an early RWD Model 3. Told me I definitely need the AWD for driving up here near Syracuse, NY. Any slightly longer range is also important for my use on monthly 300 mile OW trips.

That would be unfortunate - but that would explain why everyone is getting well over 325-330 miles of range despite the 310 rating. I wonder why the D version on the M3 will get less range - perhaps just the added weight and the fact that the rear motor is already very efficient (PEM vs AC).
I wouldn’t say everyone. I struggle to get 250 miles of range. Range on short trips is pretty bad. On the streets it’s not great either. It is nearly impossible for me to achieve the rated 235w per mile. I will be happy if I do 260. Most of the time I drive with my dog in the back seats and can’t hammer it. When I hammer it I get 400 watts per mile easy.

I have the sport wheels

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Ordered an AWD LR as a replacement for our S60 rwd that’s coming off lease. Picked up the dual motor as a good balance between the added cost and performance gain. If the dual motor over performs like the RWD does it’s going to be a great value compared to just about anything out there.

We also have a first production 3LR RWD we picked up in January. Put Michelin ICE-X (ironic name) snow tires on it the day I picked it up. It is a champ in the snow and ice here in Chicago. The right tires for conditions make all the difference.