Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you thoughts on buying used Tesla from Non Tesla Dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I wanted this particular car bad enough to do this deal it would only be under the following conditions.
I'd contact the lien Holder directly and find out how they would handle transfer and make payment directly to them. They can sign over title to you and send directly to you. Current owner doesn't need direct involvement. I'd in no way do it without access to Tesla account. No reason for him to retain account unless he wants to have access to car, know where it is etc.

Thank you so much. what you mean by the followings:

1) "They can sign over the title to you and send directly to you" - I'm not on this loan account. How does the bank sign over the title to me? Wouldn't it a two-step process? The current owner receives lien release, which may trigger the automatic production of electronic title to the current owner. Then the owner would have to sign the title to transfer ownership to me the new owner?

This bank (TD AUTO FINANCE) has no physical address in our location (Bay area) so I can bring in a check to pay but there is an address to mail in payment. I'm surprised that there is no office presence here.

2) " I'd in no way do it without access to Tesla account." Not owning a Tesla before - why is this very important?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much. what you mean by the followings:

1) "They can sign over the title to you and send directly to you" - I'm not on this loan account. How does the bank sign over the title to me? Wouldn't it a two-step process? The current owner receives lien release, which may trigger the automatic production of electronic title to the current owner. Then the owner would have to sign the title to transfer ownership to me the new owner?

This bank (TD AUTO FINANCE) has no physical address in our location (Bay area) so I can bring in a check to pay but there is an address to mail in payment. I'm surprised that there is no office presence here.

2) " I'd in no way do it without access to Tesla account." Not owning a Tesla before - why is this very important?

Thanks again!
The lien holder typically has the power to reassign it.

Call them and ask how it can be handled.

If original owner has access to account he can use phone app to. Lock and unlock your car, control AC, honk horn, start car, put it in Vale or speed mode, open trunk funk etc. Speed limit mode and Valet mode need his pin to turn off

Reassignment can take weeks too. I sold my first Tesla a year ago and it took Tesla’s crack customer service team a good 2-3 weeks to transfer.

I had to initiate the transfer (which makes sense) and during those first few weeks the owner did not have app access and I had full app access. Shadier situations than mine (and dude was in the pot business and paid cash in a paper bag!) could be more difficult to deal with.

I wouldn’t buy a used Tesla from someone other than Tesla or a seller you trust.

I've had experience with both. Trust me dealing with Tesla used I found way more frustration. Many examples here on TMC to document that. I'm also sure there are many satisfied buyers that are just not as focal.
Exactly, as stated prior they won't even let you test drive it and you're lucky if they even bother to detail it before delivery. The only issue I ever see with non-Tesla dealers is their lack of knowledge of available features.