Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are you using for paint protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the front of the car and the back of the second row seats wrapped for stone protection. I also use a product called Klasse it is a German acrylic based "wax substitute". I have been using for years on my Thistle class racing sailboat and my cars. It seems to last about a year, at least the water will still bead up after a year, although I try to coat things every few months.

I had my MX opticoated (Opticoat Pro) in CT last weekend. Drove to New Milford to have it detailed at Arkham Detailing. Had the paint color corrected (I took delivery without any detailing from TM). Whole process from washing, detailing and opticoating (did wheels, car and glass) took 2 people about 8 hours. Pictures speak for itself! Rich is a master detailer, the car looks like a mirror when he was done. My old MS was opticoated by another detailer and it was nowhere close to Rich's work. This car looks awesome. I was considering a Xpel Wrap but i could not justify 5K to coat the car. I had the MS for 2 years and the opticoat does a pretty good job keeping it looking new. Opticoat however does not offer any protection against dings and deeper scratches, just makes it easier to clean and glossy.
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-1.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-2.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-3.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-4.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-6.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-8.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-10.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-13.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-12.jpg

Explicit Details Model X Tesla-1.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-2.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-3.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-4.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-6.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-8.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-10.jpg
Explicit Details Model X Tesla-13.jpg

Reactions: Cowby and McManX
With opticoat do you just run through a touch less car wash and it'll clean it right off? I'm willing to towel dry but too lazy to wash my car by hand.

Basically, yes.

The shop that applied my Opticoat Pro and also did the paint correction on the car said that touchless car washes, with only the most basic soap, were OK. The car does not get incredibly clean this way, but the water certainly beads up.

Wish you were closer to me. Do you by any chance know of any good detailers in the Jacksonville or Gainesville, Florida areas?

The closest I would suggest would be someone in Orlando. Steve @ Auto Detailing Orlando | Superior Detailer

Anybody hearing less than $6k in SoCal for a Xpel ultimate full wrap? I got two quotes, one for $10k, other for $6k in SoCal.

$6,000 is a good price for an excellent installation.

With opticoat do you just run through a touch less car wash and it'll clean it right off? I'm willing to towel dry but too lazy to wash my car by hand.

That is not really the ideal way to car for a coated car but many do it.

I can understand wrapping for a 100D or similarly expensive car, but is there a point to wrapping when any bump or ding just requires you to rewrap and take on extra expense when having the section repainted? And as well, you can't wrap immediately after repainting a car because it takes 3 months for the paint to fully dry, during which time you can get rock chips anyway when it's exposed.

I was considering wrapping my front end, but my car painter friend suggested not to as per above. He just told me to keep a good distance behind other cars on the highway.

So, does EVERYBODY wrap their cars here? I guess in other cities, highway driving is a daily requirement, but in Vancouver Canada, highway driving is non-existent unless you live far out of the city or do a road trip.

Last edited:
I live in Abbotsford and do highway driving every day. There are lots of dings in my PPF that would have damaged the paint on my Model S. When I had my dual charger installed last year at the Vancouver service center, someone put a gouge into the PPF on a door, but luckily it was only the film that was damaged and Tesla paid to have the film on the door replaced.

Most of the new PPF out there are self healing now and when heat is applied to superficial scratches or dings they disappear.

I've only wrapped my Teslas and not my previous vehicles which cost much less.

I don't know why, but my previous cars - which were cheaper - don't have ANY rock chips after 8 years of ownership. But my Model X, after 2 weeks, already has one. I'm wondering if I should just wrap the bumper, but as my painter friend said, if anybody bumps me, I'll just need to rewrap all over again.

DMD: Do you have a shop in Vancouver to recommend for wrapping the bumper?

I don't know why, but my previous cars - which were cheaper - don't have ANY rock chips after 8 years of ownership. But my Model X, after 2 weeks, already has one. I'm wondering if I should just wrap the bumper, but as my painter friend said, if anybody bumps me, I'll just need to rewrap all over again.

DMD: Do you have a shop in Vancouver to recommend for wrapping the bumper?

You can apply Opticoat for some protection or some other polymer nanocoating to protect some of the paint if you don't want to wrap the X.

PH Solar is where I just got my tint and wrap. They've been doing PPF for over a decade and tint for 30 years. Paul is the owner amd Ronnie is the son who does most of the wrap jobs. Ronnie quoted me $1500 for full fromt nose with XPEL Ultimate if you are doing just the front. They only take cash though.

www.phsolartint.com

If you are out in Maple Ridge by Golden Ears Bridge, Ken Wilson at Autowerkes does good work with coatings. He did an excellent job with C. Quartz Finest on my blue Model S last year. He also does PPF but is a bit pricier than PH Solar.

www.autowerkesexclusive.com

Can't go wrong with either of these shops in my past experience. You will get a coutesy car with Ken, but not with PH Solar.

You can apply Opticoat for some protection or some other polymer nanocoating to protect some of the paint if you don't want to wrap the X.

PH Solar is where I just got my tint and wrap. They've been doing PPF for over a decade and tint for 30 years. Paul is the owner amd Ronnie is the son who does most of the wrap jobs. Ronnie quoted me $1500 for full fromt nose with XPEL Ultimate if you are doing just the front. They only take cash though.

www.phsolartint.com

If you are out in Maple Ridge by Golden Ears Bridge, Ken Wilson at Autowerkes does good work with coatings. He did an excellent job with C. Quartz Finest on my blue Model S last year. He also does PPF but is a bit pricier than PH Solar.

www.autowerkesexclusive.com

Can't go wrong with either of these shops in my past experience. You will get a coutesy car with Ken, but not with PH Solar.

Wow! Thanks for the referral.

I got the model x 1 month ago and had the xpel protection done a week later, THANK GOD a deer came and hit the driver side broke the vent glass and mirror slid along the side and cause a dent but i was able to wipe away the splatter and no streaks or scratches.
even the mirror cover that fell onto the road has no scratches on it. XPEL works.