TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What are you using to clean your seats in the Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Massimo99, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Massimo99

Massimo99 Member

Hey everyone, I'm just curious as I just picked up my 3 a few weeks ago and am wondering what your using to clean your seats during an interior detail. Thanks

2. Napboy

Napboy Member

• Like x 1
  3. Mobsidian

Mobsidian Member

4. Napboy

Napboy Member

5. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Leatherique two part cleaner and conditioner. Cleaners, alone, dry out the material. A two part isn’t much more effort than a wipe but over time seats remain supple. aspx Home Page

6. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

As someone who has been detailing cars as a side hobby for a few years this thread hurts to read. There's 2 parts to properly cleaning leather.

1. Removal (cleaning with dedicated leather cleaner) you'll want to remove your human oil off the leather pores, not just visible dirt
    2. Protection, the leather will dry out and crack if not properly protected

I use Ammo leather cleaner and then follow it up with Ammo leather protection, don't like it shiny? Wait 10 min after application and run a clean MF over the area, it'll remove the reflection but leave behind protection.

Honestly what product you use is up to you (please for the love of anything you find holy No Clorox wipes on leather) just remember you gotta clean out the pores in the leather then protect them.

Here's a good explanation on the whole process.

7. Napboy

Napboy Member

Very useful for leather seats. However, the interior of the model 3 (besides the steering wheel) is not leather, it’s polyurethane.

• Like x 1
  8. JoeBruin

JoeBruin Member

The seat material is not actually leather...could that make a difference in selecting a product? It might be possible that a different surfactant would be better for this material than actual leather.

Do we know what the material is that Tesla uses for the seats?

9. JoeBruin

JoeBruin Member

I missed your reply and agree!

10. JoeBruin

JoeBruin Member

Polyurethane is kind of general term, but we know the application of the polyurethane is for car seats. I think it would be reasonable to assume that the compound would be similar to other products used for the same application. A quick check I did recommended products that used ammonium chlorides for cleaning purposes.

It turns out that Clorox Wipes include ammonium chlorides as the active ingredients. Ingredients such as (C12-14) and (C12-18) N-Alkyl Dimethyl Ethylbenzyl Ammonium Chlorides and N-alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride (C12) (C16) and (C18).

So Clorox wipes may actually be pretty good for Tesla seats. I checked Ammo leather cleaner and could not find the ingredient list. Other car leather cleaners I looked at did not include these compounds or other ammonium chlorides so I am guessing Ammo does not either.

11. barjohn

barjohn Member

I use Optimum No Rinse (ONR) in a spray bottle and a micro fiber towel to wipe it. Cleans nicely, not shiny and haven't had any issues. ONR is a lubricant mild soap and you use distilled water with about an ounce of ONR. Very mild cleaning agent.

• Like x 1
  12. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

Ditto

13. Mobsidian

Mobsidian Member

Just bought some ONR. What's the ratio of water to ONR?

14. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

Well damn, I did not know that. In this case I take back my comment, you can still use the Ammo cleaner which works on plastic, leather, pleather and vinyl but don't use the leather protector since there is no need.

I guess Clorox wipes then aren't that bad if it's not real leather.

15. WallyP

WallyP Member

I use and am a big fan of ONR for exterior cleaning, but haven't thought of it for interior cleaning. Any comments from detailers out there on any down sides to this?

16. bluhorshue

bluhorshue Member

Brian from Peach State Detail did a video where he uses ONR for this purpose on a Model X.

• Like x 1
  17. Napboy

Napboy Member

ONR works great for the exterior and to some extent the interior. Unfortunately, it does not do very well removing sunscreen ( at least not the brand I use for my kids).