Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your charging habits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessarily looking for best practices here, just curious to see what others do, especially on a regular basis (not looking for road trip habits).

I charge most nights. A big day of driving for me is 25 miles, although Minnesota cold limiting efficient, increasing vampire drain and often limiting regen, that can easily cost me 15% of battery (I just %, not miles because due to above factors, the range estimate is somewhat useless for me). I charge to 66% on a routine basis, meaning I could go 2/3 days without charging, but I don't, more because "hey why chance it" than anything else.

For the past six years, first with Model S and now with Model 3, I’ve plugged in the UMC hanging on the wall when I get home and unplugged it when I leave. Every time. It’s a habit, nothing I even think about any more. It’s also what Tesla says to do (“A connected Model S is a happy Model S”). Plug in when you can, and let the battery management system manage the battery.

Charge two to three times a week on 120 volts . Using timers to charge to around 90 percent. We don't have a Tesla, We have a Leaf and Smart ED. Max aboout 20 km per day except weekends which are closer to 200 km total for the weekend.

We have a 240 volt 40 amp juicebox in the garage but thats where my wifes smart ED cabrio is parked so...... this is where I charge.

27330875507_46c048d065_b.jpg

For the past six years, first with Model S and now with Model 3, I’ve plugged in the UMC hanging on the wall when I get home and unplugged it when I leave. Every time. It’s a habit, nothing I even think about any more. It’s also what Tesla says to do (“A connected Model S is a happy Model S”). Plug in when you can, and let the battery management system manage the battery.

Yes! And now a happy Model 3. For last 6 years "always plugged in" at home so no surprises... like yesterday when someone forgot (probably me) to plug in her car. She had to stop at SC on way from babysitting, but there is that option, rather than find a J1772 somewhere.

Tesla Model 3 LR RWD. Charge to 80%, drive a couple days, when the range is ~50% (below 160 miles) plug it in again and charge overnight.

Toyota RAV4 EV (40kWh) Charge to "standard" (~83%), drive a day or two, when below 75% (below 70 miles) plug it in again and charge overnight.

Mid Range
Approx 50 miles each day of driving
I’m the guy in the neighborhood who has to mow his lawn a different direction each time because life is too short to mow the same way.
Given that I charge 65% one night 70% the next 75% etc up to about 90% and back down.
And a side note since I’m the third Minnesotan responding so far——the heating in this car this winter is absolutely spectacular.

it used to be that I plugged into one of our two wall connectors every time I got home and let the car charge to 60 - 80%, depending upon what my next day's usage was expected to be. In the summer months I would delay charging until 1:00 am so that I wasn't charging during peak home AC usage (it's north Texas, after all).

However, about six months ago my office park installed six Tesla wall chargers that are free for our use and there are fewer than six Teslas charging here. So, I plug in at home, but typically don't charge there, opting to charge at work most days instead.

And a side note since I’m the third Minnesotan responding so far——the heating in this car this winter is absolutely spectacular.

Yeah I have a detached garage, so I was getting into an ICE cold ICE (ha! ha! I did a joke) every morning. Now, even if I only have 1-2 minutes to pre-heat, between that and heated seats I don't even bring a jacket to work.

Reactions: RedishArctic
I have an S85D and a P3D. Whichever car is in the garage first gets plugged in first. When that one is done, the next time I pass by I'll switch to the other car. If I need to, I'll switch to the car with the lowest battery before bed. Both are set to 90%, and I've never had a problem getting both cars adequately charged off our single 14-50 outlet.

I'd recommend charging daily instead of waiting several days to top off. More shallow cycles are better than less but deeper cycles. In cold weather, it helps to use the charge timer and start the charging process so it will finish just in time in the morning when you leave. Charging warms up the battery so you will leave with a warm(er) battery which will give you more regen and it's healthier to drive with a warmer battery.
In terms of battery degradation, it is a little better to set the slider to 80% rather than 90%, but the difference, even in years will be minimal. The onboard charger is most efficient at full load. Charge at the highest power setting. Setting it to a lower value will be less efficient.
If in doubt, always charge more.
If you need, do not hesitate to charge to 100% or drive the battery very low. There is no harm doing so when you need. I have been doing this many many times for 5 years in my Model S and the battery is holding up well.
Don't use a supercharger if you don't need to.

I drive 40-50mi weekdays (10-15kWh) for work and varies on weekends from 10mi to over 100mi. Regardless of day, I charge to 80% every night. Haven’t had a need to charge more than that in the 6 weeks I’ve owned my 3, except one day to 90% when I knew I’d drive close to 200mi. My 14-50 outlet means I almost always charge less than 2 hours each night. I’m in CA so I’m lucky I don’t really need to worry about battery temps or pre-heating. But I must say, the heated seats have been nice recently as it has gotten to the high 30s and low 40s on some days.

I plug in my dual motor 3 most nights to 80%. If I think I might do a little more driving than usual I’ll charge to 90.
3-4 times a week I do a 160 mile rountrip + a few other stops. If I charge to 80 I will get back at or just below 20% if I don’t charge at all along the route.
I am pretty good about taking adavantage of any free charger I come across though. And if I can park next to a 110v plug, I’ll charge there too.

My Rav4 I try to keep as close to 50% as possible. It sits a lot now that I have the 3. If I take it on that 160 mile trip I charge it full the night before and use a Chadmeo charger near the destination (halfway point)

Reactions: David99