Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Are Your Daily Driver Plans While Awaiting the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 Leaf w. 62k miles.
-aq_032kEvfAUOlAC_9YH5teqeHfCzYGM-SRWOlkX62rvMP9My8kczxXQnpzv2LTTfhVlq4Sxo7Nx1zfJdmnXbnzWLPq38lMhCkS_VCtyhkcxWqXJGaSFEL0TzCaLOGZQach7eQjG5lbPsl6IX59aejbSwLh6O7ivgQRC-ZRVBvMgbNa6TPtuquXUjoRuh72pNmgNa-JGJwulzi9R-6uWi_dLEjcIRn3ftPgtIqk6aFTgfXjrIR_J_rEcTrZvE_TlhZ_fRGKk0hsMnzXVhCTW-bH-x8xT3TQAZOtS1_G3FyDwE86v3GZs1D59Ntuj9jCTOrHnTfXqstNL2cmw7-eLgM2dr95gd1H6bysrtES90j0oKDxvm3s5cIwX-GKkdt7Yr3d6wx6M99CVerChCVuHKNkxP52h9yo5PrtpbVZCWGGhcY7jk1G8fUuSESKyBNJxOfrGDNWKUX2l_gLRUXROLvC_4DdzSl1PyNUJgVLCiiXSPsuEKrU8_tfeB-iFEAOtTXq0NU_8VfEL5uyH6dPiYm1y7AwXQ=s2480-w2480-h1408-no

Leased Focus Electric due back 8/17. Not sure what to do in the ~1 year gap I'm estimating before my 3 is delivered (reservation made in store before reveal). Maybe assume someone else's Leaf/Focus Electric lease with 1 year remaining?

Last year, the HV battery on my 15-year-old Gen 1 Prius died and a feeling of dread/despair came over me since the Model 3 back then was at least three years away and I didn't want to have to get another car in the interim. I bit the bullet and had the battery replaced, so the Prius should last me until my baby comes in.

Seemingly both fortuitously and unfortunately, my Cadillac CTS was wrecked by another driver's carelessness just prior to the Model 3 pre-orders going live. While I have put my deposit down on the Model 3 and am very excitingly awaiting it whilst dividing my day between learning about Tesla and watching videos from Model S/X owners :p, my options are limited now. Buying a safe, reliable car only to sell it when I get my Model 3 would be too costly yet whatever I can justify leasing my heart won't be into as it will just feel like a gap vehicle to the Model 3 so either way I won't be too happy spending money on a vehicle until I have my Model 3 in my driveway. Then, I'll be ecstatic to make payments ;).

I assume most of you will just keep your current vehicle, some are coming out of leases, and others probably have cars about to die. What are you doing with your daily driver situation?

Sorry about your situation. I do not know if "another driver's carelessness" is an indication from within your family or a stranger on the road. If it's a stranger on the road, make their insurance pay for it and let it cover for a used car that will get you by.

As for me, I'm keeping my daily driver because it's a fun sub-compact sports car to drive around that's paid off long ago, and it's 10 years old now. It isn't slow, but it isn't fast. But fast enough to get me through traffic/slow drivers. I still have some mods on the car to do for performance and safety. I'll retire the car when I can afford to buy the next generation Roadster or whatever sports car Tesla will make. Going forward, any sports car I will get will be electric. Gasoline powered cars are overrated now. I was looking at an Acura NSX but now, eh, that car isn't worth it anymore. I want to spend less time maintaining a car and spend more time driving it.

Assuming you still wish to drive electric, and depending on your daily commute, I'd recommend that you look at the Chevy Volt.
Its a dependable semi-electric car with no range issues, it should serve you well over the life of its reasonably economical 3-year lease. You will shed no tears when its time to give it up at the end of its term when your Model 3 is ready for your acceptance.

If you want to go a bit upscale, the BMW i3 or i3/Rex might work out, as the leases can be in your favor, depending on the dealer.

If you want to go inexpensive, and if they are available in your area, and their "81 mile" (i.e., 55-60 mile) range still works for you, the Fiat 500E dealers (at least here in Los Angeles) are giving them away on 3-year leases for $59.00 a month (!). Not as zippy, not as big, not as crashworthy, but fun and cheap.

-or-

You could swing the other way as you know this will be your last fling with gasoline.
Live your next 3 years as if they are your last 3 years.
Porsche. There is no substitute.
When you give it up, you will at least have fond memories of it, and tell your grandchildren of the adventures you had in the last gasoline car you ever owned.
And I doubt you would cry over having to let go of a Kia Rio.

-- Ardie

You guys keep calling the Tesla Model 3 an "M3." Well I will keep driving my Laguna Seca Blue E46 BMW M3, which I plan on hanging on to just because I love the car and the color.

This one's not mine, but you get the idea:
image_zps6dcefaaa.jpg
Great car! I had the pleasure of owning the E46 M3....sadly I had to move on....I miss it. Seeing the reference to M3 in here all the time just reminds me of it...I will stick with calling my future car the 'Model 3' until I figure out how to get that E symbol that looks like the logo. back to waiting....

Have an aging Jeep Grand Cherokee, may lease a small car to fill the gap. I can get away with the range on Focus electric so that might work if cheap enough. No point I spending extra on lease for short daily commutes and around town.