Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Are Your Daily Driver Plans While Awaiting the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be sharing a 2016 Model S and a 2009 Subaru Forester with my wife while my parents in law shuttle around our kids in the 2014 Honda Odyssey until I get the Model 3 to replace the Forester. I was driving the Forester today after driving the Tesla for a week and clicked the windshield wiper to shift to reverse (the gear shifter in the Tesla is on the right of the steering wheel).

Sorry about your situation. I do not know if "another driver's carelessness" is an indication from within your family or a stranger on the road. If it's a stranger on the road, make their insurance pay for it and let it cover for a used car that will get you by.

As for me, I'm keeping my daily driver because it's a fun sub-compact sports car to drive around that's paid off long ago, and it's 10 years old now. It isn't slow, but it isn't fast. But fast enough to get me through traffic/slow drivers. I still have some mods on the car to do for performance and safety. I'll retire the car when I can afford to buy the next generation Roadster or whatever sports car Tesla will make. Going forward, any sports car I will get will be electric. Gasoline powered cars are overrated now. I was looking at an Acura NSX but now, eh, that car isn't worth it anymore. I want to spend less time maintaining a car and spend more time driving it.

A distracted driver running the red. I'm actually looking into an i3, but it's much more similar to the Model 3 than I anticipated. Almost takes some of the hype away since the interior of the i3 right now is potentially nicer, plus the model I'm looking at has premium features and tech at an attractive price.

Keeping my shitbox 2006 Mustang... if it lasts that long. Plastic pieces are breaking left and right, who knows when something major will decide to fail. So glad this era is coming to a close but at least I only have a 12 total commute so it's not like it last to last too many more miles.

Once the tesla comes, my wife will use it for her 70 mile round trip commute and I'll switch over to the 4Runner.

Here's hoping Tesla makes announces a motorcycle this decade. Zero hasn't won me over and there's not much else out there.

I'll keep driving my 2014 BRZ up until we take delivery. My fiancee will drive her 2012 Nissan Rogue. Once the Model 3 arrives, she'll start dailying it and I'll drive the Rogue in bad weather and the BRZ in nice. Once the Rogue kicks the bucket, I'll start dailying the Model 3 and she'll get something new (Model Y?).

She's not anti-EV, but is dubious. So, my master plan is to use the Model 3 to warm her up to the idea of an EV since she'll be using it for commuting daily (about 60 miles), but won't have to ever stop for fuel, will be perfectly quiet, all the tech she could ever want, more than ideal performance, and AutoPilot for days with traffic or, frankly, whenever.

Driving my '13 Nismo 370Z w/ 34K Mi until I sell it when my order comes in for the new Model 3. I sure am gonna miss manual shifting. :cool:

I drove a 2003 Nissan 350Z when my Tesla Roadster was delivered. Before the Roadster, I'd only ever owned and driven cars with manual trannys. I worried that I, too, would miss manual shifting. But, then you realize that with the flat torque curve of an electric motor, which gives full torque output from zero revs, *any* transmission is pretty much pointless, and also gets in the way of the fun driving experience. No more missed shifts, or if you're used to an auto, no more poor shifting behavior.

Wife and I will continue to jockey for the Model S keys; loser gets the Hyundai SUV until Model3 gets here. I bought the S because I drove it....didn't need it, but after driving it my Jaguar XF was a steam engine. The Jag and wife's GTI became garage queens. Loved those cars and sold them with no regrets; thanks Elon et al.