Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Are Your Daily Driver Plans While Awaiting the Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys keep calling the Tesla Model 3 an "M3." Well I will keep driving my Laguna Seca Blue E46 BMW M3, which I plan on hanging on to just because I love the car and the color.

This one's not mine, but you get the idea:
image_zps6dcefaaa.jpg

I had an 03 e46 M3 silvergrey as my weekend car that I sold a few years ago and invested all of the proceeds into TSLA. Loved the car and thought I would be a life long M3 owner. Once I saw and test drove the Model S my passion for the car and BMW was over. Two kids didn't help either as it was only a two door.

Reactions: Justmurr
I had a '02 e46 M3 Imola Red and I just sold it last year. The whole having a kid thing, plus I actually got bored of the car.

I had an 03 e46 M3 silvergrey as my weekend car that I sold a few years ago and invested all of the proceeds into TSLA. Loved the car and thought I would be a life long M3 owner. Once I saw and test drove the Model S my passion for the car and BMW was over. Two kids didn't help either as it was only a two door.

Reactions: Justmurr
I had a '02 e46 M3 Imola Red and I just sold it last year. The whole having a kid thing, plus I actually got bored of the car.

Yep, I hear ya. The car ended up sitting in the garage more than diving so I figured it was time to go. Believe it or not I did fight with putting my first born in there when he was still in the "bucket" but when it came to a full blown car seat it was all over.

My Leaf lease runs out next May, I'm thinking of buying a cheapo used Leaf, they are getting less and less attractive now and folks are scared of battery degradation in used ones.
I was standing in line to reserve so I'm hopeful that I only have to drive the leaf for 6-8 months :)
Either way, I can't bring myself to by an ICE. After driving EV I just can't go back.

My Leaf lease runs out next May, I'm thinking of buying a cheapo used Leaf, they are getting less and less attractive now and folks are scared of battery degradation in used ones.
I was standing in line to reserve so I'm hopeful that I only have to drive the leaf for 6-8 months :)
Either way, I can't bring myself to by an ICE. After driving EV I just can't go back.
You may get a big chunk off your residual at the end of your lease which would make purchasing your LEAF very attractive. They're already knocking up to $7500 off for cars ending around now. In a few months that should improve. By next year when mine is up, I expect they'll almost be giving them away to keep them off the lots.

I plan on keeping my 2016 Leaf until the M3 comes in. It meets most of my needs. I commute 60 miles roundtrip each day, and the 107 mile range is more than adequate for my daily drive. Looking forward to the extra range, and of course, it'll be a Tesla!

I just bought out the lease of our 2013 Leaf S which was going to end in August. The car has 29,000 miles and I got it for $8500 out the door. I thought that was a great deal for buying a car I know from day #1 that had a 14k residual value. I figure the entire car cost me $12K to own for 3 years and we'll probably keep it past the receiving the M3 as well. The car has all 12 battery bars and is in great shape.

Perhaps you'll get a better deal next year when the competition is stiffer.

I'm making do with my "ol' reliable", a 2008 (v1.5) Tesla Roadster. :)

It's 7+ years old now, has 105K+ miles on it, and the battery capacity has dropped as expected (it doesn't have the newer technology Lithium Ion cells in it like a Model S/3/X does). I've got a 3.0 Battery Upgrade for it on order, so it'll have a 300+ mile range once I get the new battery - by the end of summer, if I'm lucky. It's still in excellent shape, but having a Model 3 to also drive would allow me to keep from piling the miles on just the Roadster. Being able to use the Superchargers, which the Roadster can't, will make long-distance trips in the Model 3 very nice.

I stood in line on 3/31 to get my Model 3 reservation at my local Tesla Store, not knowing how many people would really show up. I was blown away by the astounding number of people that were standing there with me, waiting for their chance to reserve one too. My sincere thanks go out to all of you that are getting a Tesla Model 3. You're involved in making a positive change in this world.

Reactions: ChadS and Justmurr
My sincere thanks go out to all of you that are getting a Tesla Model 3. You're involved in making a positive change in this world
No Dave... Elon says we need to thank YOU for being an early adopter and helping to complete step 1 of the master plan.
So thanks.

I will be happy to turn in my 2014 base v6 mustang for my model 3...it might be paid off by then. My only fear is how I will miss manual transmission...but I can't wait to try.
I was 45th (by my own personal count) out of over 200 in line on the 31st and I am so glad I decided to go earlier than originally planned.....I'll likely be right around that $42k mark as my limit on upgrades.