Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your favorite scenic/peaceful day trips in the DC area?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just planning a day trip to Shenandoah National Park with a stop at the Off The Grid Cafe at Sperryville, VA with a Tesla Destination Charger.

Just wondering if anyone had any others for other day trips in the DC area, preferably with Tesla chargers.

My favorite, the Inn at Little Washington. Not far from Sperryville. But you have to have dinner and stay overnight. They have a destination charger for guests. Save it for a special occasion. I took the wife there for our 15th anniversary

Could you elaborate on the parking situation at the Inn at Little Washington? It's on my bucket list but I looked up Google satellite imagery and I'm not sure where you can park the car. The experience would be ruined if I'm worried about my car. Yes, sadly it has come to this where parking in a big consideration when I plan a trip anywhere :p

Do you essentially parallel park your car on Main Street or do they have secure parking on premises with wide parking spots so you are not worried about door dings from people getting in and out of their cars?

Google Maps

Yes, I realize I'm more concerned about parking for my baby than dinner at perhaps one of the finest restaurants of the world :D

Reactions: CatB
Could you elaborate on the parking situation at the Inn at Little Washington? It's on my bucket list but I looked up Google satellite imagery and I'm not sure where you can park the car. The experience would be ruined if I'm worried about my car. Yes, sadly it has come to this where parking in a big consideration when I plan a trip anywhere :p

Do you essentially parallel park your car on Main Street or do they have secure parking on premises with wide parking spots so you are not worried about door dings from people getting in and out of their cars?

Google Maps

Yes, I realize I'm more concerned about parking for my baby than dinner at perhaps one of the finest restaurants of the world :D
No,you do not park on Main street. The Inn has several buildings on their property including a private outdoor parking area where the destination charger is located. It was very easy, stress-free. The only worry I had was leaving it charging outside overnight when it started to pour. I always charge it inside my garage, never left it outside. But apparently charging in the rain is a thing.

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
No,you do not park on Main street. The Inn has several buildings on their property including a private outdoor parking area where the destination charger is located. It was very easy, stress-free. The only worry I had was leaving it charging outside overnight when it started to pour. I always charge it inside my garage, never left it outside. But apparently charging in the rain is a thing.

Thanks, this is reassuring! Could you park the car yourself? Valet parking would induce stress that I would rather not deal with.

I live in WV, but see/run into a lot of DC folks visiting Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown, both with destination chargers available. The Potomac towpath, Appalachian trail, Bavarian Inn, national park, etc. are things to check out. I see more out of state plates on German St in Shepherdstown than WV plates at times.

• Informative
Reactions: DCEV
You're going to have to get over that.
But yes, you can park it yourself. I'm sure the valet would think why would you do that

I don't think I'll ever get over the stress of having a stranger park my car, especially when I once had an issue with a valet damaging my car and then trying to deny he knew anything about it and then all the foot dragging about not having the car fixed at a reputed body shop. I eventually had them take responsibility after weeks of back and forth.

To me, valet parking is a huge stress inducer because they might park your car some place I would never park my car, such as close proximity to another car resulting in a door ding or worse.

For places with valet parking, what I do is offer the valet a $10 tip if I can park my own car and keep the key. This approach always works well for all involved. I'm happy and they are happy with a nice tip.

I wish more establishments understood the importance of offering a choice for those who do not want their cars valet parked.