Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your insurance rates for 2016+ Model S in BC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,
Just got a gorgeous 2019 P100D, and found it's much more difficult and expensive to insure than my previous P90D.
Is that the case for everyone in BC?
Apparently ICBC now considers Model S as a "luxury" vehicle, requires a special approval process from the underwriter, the premiums, and minimum deductibles are ridiculous. Is that the case for everyone? Can anybody suggest an alternative?

No S owners from BC here? I don't believe it! :)
I got a quote for the "Special Risk Own Damage Policy" from ICBC. The minimum deductible is $1000, and if I add my 22 y.o. son, it increases to $1900! I'm more or less OK with that, but the worst is that there is no separate windshield damage deductible, which means I'd have to pay myself if windshield repair or replacement will be needed. :(
Any idea why Model S became so special to insure? The price I bought it for was even a bit lower than my previous P90D, and noticeably lower than GT-R, which I had before, but both of those were previously insured like regular cars.

It is blatant cash grab. ICBC wants to be shown to look out for the little guy, and therefore any "High Value Exotics" gets dinged. They claim they are more expensive to repair, and I get that, if we were talking about a Mclaren or Ferrari. But a Model has still has the same body panels as before...
So what did you do? Private insurance?