Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are your preferred audio sources?

Which audio sources do you use most often?

• Bluetooth (phone or other paired device)

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • USB

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • AM radio

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • FM radio

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Slacker

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • Spotify

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • TuneIn

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • Sweet EV silence

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • My passengers and I have a sing-along

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Satellite (Sirius/XM)

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
taking delivery next month cnn is available on tunein does anyone have a way to getting msnbc other than from my sirius subcription from iohone couldnt justify premuim sound/sirius for one station?
It's a bit off topic for this thread, but if not available via TuneIn, and you can access via your smartphone, you could use Bluetooth to listen via media Player. Control will remain on your smartphone for say pausing the play.

BTW, congrats in advance on your future toy!

I don't even know what some of those choices are, although people here talk about them all the time. I listen to ripped CDs, from my collection of hundreds, on my USB drive. On long trips I listen to audio books on my MP3 player using an FM broadcasting widget, since Tesla couldn't be bothered to include a 3.5 mm auxiliary input jack. I do not use my phone in the car while driving and do not have lit linked by bluetooth (and wouldn't want to use it for audio books anyway).

Tidal iPhone app delivers CD quality (1411 kbps) over 256+256 AAC Bluetooth either in streaming mode or you can download playlists and albums to your phone over WiFi when you're at home.

I'm really enjoying Tidal - great quality and great playlists ... enjoying everything except the $19/month for the lossless HiFi option.

FLAC over USB obviously is the best sounding choice, but CD quality Tidal over Bluetooth is very good.

In declining order of preference:

0) CarPlay!

1a) My entire AIFF music library on a USB drive (or two). There are over 1,100 albums and 12,000 tracks and given the regression in the media player's treatment of USB Tesla can't support it. With playlists!

1b) Assorted audio apps from my iPhone (e.g., Pandora, AudioBooks, Economist, NPR podcasts, etc.)

2) My entire library on a single USB stick at 320KB AAC.

<-- old guy I only listen to the 3400 tracks I have on USB, which I've been listening to in one form or another for decades. Zero interest in any streaming services with the possible exception of MLB GameDay - but I can get that from the phone via Bluetooth on the rare occasions I want to.

How about another option of USB "sound card" mode for phones? So thats different to playing files off a USB drive, its like a live Aux audio connection, only over USB. When the phone is connected by USB to the car, the car audio system should show up on the phone as new place to send the audio, just like if you have it connected by bluetooth. I believe this may be the best quality option of all, given the lack of an analog aux jack, as its uncompressed. You would also get to control the phone's media player from the car, plus you get track info and cover art etc.