Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Autopilot (AP) 1.0 Issues do you Experience?

Do you experience any of these AP 1.0 Issues?

• Doesn't recognize Autopark situations sometimes

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Car wanders toward obstructions or trucks occasionally (i.e., "truck lust")

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Blind spot detection activates too late for approaching cars

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Weather (rain/snow) makes AP unreliable for use

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I don't think software alone can fix issues with AP 1.0 without sensor upgrades

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
The AP 1.0 has a limited sensor package and still remains in beta. Only take this survey if you are a current owner with AP and experience actually using it. Some think that even with software upgrades, many of the features will never work great and perhaps the AP will remain perpetually in beta.

The problem with truck lust is it's so situational that it's hard to narrow anything down to a specific firmware version.

The perfect scenario for it seems to be at night (like 3am) when thousands of trucks are on I5 going from Portland to Seattle or the other way around.

I haven't tried it recently on our Model X, but a cross country trip in our Model S a couple months ago it was bad. Doing a road trip in a week in the Model X and will try it again.

What firmware are you on in your cars?

The problem with truck lust is it's so situational that it's hard to narrow anything down to a specific firmware version.

Not for me it isn't - truck lust was a semi-regular occurrence for me a couple firmwares ago but it has not happened since - and I drive a lot, using autopilot daily in Southern California. I'm not saying it's gone - I'm only one data point. But my car used to do it, and now does not. Again, firmware 2.20.30.

When was the last time it happened to you, and what firmware are you on?

If it does happen again I'll report back.

I drive a lot of 2 lane roads. I have tried AP a number of times on these roads. Mostly (98%) it is fine. However twice it has crossed the center line into oncoming traffic! Unless the 2 lane road is very well marked, I don't even try to use AP any more on 2 lane roads. On Interstates, I have more confidence in it.

I drove in Southern California, and noticed that AP doesn't always recognize the double yellow lines (when there are essentially 4 yellow lines) that separate the HOA lane and fast lane. There are occasions when the car will drive on top of the yellow lines thinking the fast lane is extra wide.

I've had to disable AP in certain areas.

I hope they can update the software to use the lines which are closest to the car.

All of those are issues I experience, but at the same time, none of those are deal breakers.

AP works well enough on the highway that I can let it do it's thing and not worry about it. I still have to pay attention. Even if it worked 100% of the time, I'd still need to pay attention.

I encountered "truck lust" 5 times during a road trip three weeks ago. Twice just after northbound I-5 separates from CA99 north of the Ft Tejon SpC and three times between I-5 intersection with eastbound I-80 in Sacramento and Rocklin SpC. Firmware was latest version as of May 17, 2016. Weather clear, daytime, not driving into setting/rising sun; in short, ideal visibility for both man and machine.

In each incidence I was overtaking a tractor/trailer rig at maybe 5 to 10 mph difference in speed and as the nose of the car came abreast of the back of the trailer in the lane to my right, the car tried to move into that lane so abruptly that I was startled and had to take control manually. Fortunately, I drive in AP mode with elbows on arm rests and fingers resting lightly on the steering wheel, so I was able to take control quickly.

I reported the incidents to Tesla customer service within minutes of the Sacramento occurrences along with time of day so they could pull up the logs. Got a call three days ago from Costa Mesa SC asking if it had been taken care of, answered no, and was told Tesla would look into it and call me back next day, but no follow up call so far.

Kinda takes the comfort level down, wondering when it might happen again.

Truck lust is scary for sure. I don't have the nerve to let the car steer all the way into the truck, but I wonder if it would. Probably be risking your life to answer that question.

I can report that it doesn't steer all the way into the truck - at least for me. I was not paying enough attention one time and truck lust happened - by the time I looked up the car moved away from the truck. But like I said I haven't had any truck lust on 2.20.30 - only earlier firmwares.

I think I will keep delaying my Model S order until AP 2.0 comes out. AP 1.0 is more gimmick than useful. I don't think they will ever get the features working reliably enough to use without thought.

I'll respectfully disagree with the gimmick part. So... my commute to work is 30 to 45 minutes for 12 miles of driving, including stop and go highway travel along with 10 minute long highway onramp lines that go back 2 or 3 blocks from work.

Just got my Model S on Monday, and this is my second car with automation. My A6 has TACC with LDW, and was already fairly useful and life changing in taking the stress out of parts of my commute, but so I was relatively unimpressed with the MS and didn't even want to buy one at all until 3 months ago. My attitude towards anyone talking about AP was to roll my eyes and say "Your fancy Elon Iron Man car has 1 radar sensor and 1 camera? My Audi has 4 radars and a camera and can barely drive in a straight line unattended. Big whoop."

But at any rate, now that I actually have the car, wow. Autopilot really is like nothing else on the market. It handles drivers cutting into your lane, traffic suddenly slowing down, queuing multiple blocks to an onramp, and many other situations that my Audi doesn't handle. The way it does 95% of the driving is absolutely confidence inspiring and enough to the point that you can pretend to be asleep and do all sorts of stupid stuff with less risk of an accident than attempting to dial a phone number on your smartphone in a traditional car.

For that other 5%, I would say 4.9% of it is extremely obvious that you should take over well in advance. Like entering a sharp hilly curve with no cars around you. Or freeways that suddenly turn into sharp onramps. Or someone ridiculously slow merging into your lane. The other 0.1% are situations that are truly unpredictable or shocking that AP could not handle, and those are tougher to deal with (no replacement for full attention if you want to be the safest you can possibly be).

However, even with AP "1.0", it takes an immense amount of stress off driving. This past week I made 5 round trips to San Francisco. Half were in excruciating stop and go traffic (1.5hrs each way), and half was in monotonous highway cruising. Even with my Audi A6, I would rather pull out my teeth with my bare hands than do that many trips to SF in a week during commute hours. But with the Model S, I barely felt stressed during the whole time, and arrived refreshed. Did I have to intervene? Yeah. Was it a big deal? not at all. Do I think the car is smart enough that I can just read email during my commute? HELL NO, but I'm starting to recognize the circumstances where it isn't the world's riskiest thing to address something urgent on my phone while commuting. Yeah I know I really shouldn't, but shamefully I'll admit it's something I find myself doing once or twice a year regardless of which car I drive, and Autopilot makes that behavior much safer.

Overall, I'd recommend reconsidering AP 1.0 skepticism. We all want it to be better and I'm sure it will be at some point, but even in its current state it is extremely useful and stress reducing.

I think I will keep delaying my Model S order until AP 2.0 comes out. AP 1.0 is more gimmick than useful. I don't think they will ever get the features working reliably enough to use without thought.
That's not an irrational idea. Mercedes is shipping it's Steering Pilot, Lane Change Assist, Evasive Steering Assist, Remote Parking Pilot,etc. on the E-class (mid-sized sedan) for 2017, available to order now for delivery in a couple of months. Poor marketing, but the same functions as the Tesla AP and Summon. The big difference is that from Mercedes it won't be "beta", it will be real, supported product.

I think it's entirely rational to wait until Tesla can ship a product that is not "beta" before dropping $100K, particularly if it turns out that the production version of AP requires new hardware. I felt burned when I took delivery on a Monday and on Tuesday they announced the "refreshed" MS with new front end, new lights, etc. etc. You'll be very upset if Tesla does that you and the difference is a production AP and your new car can only support the beta.

If Tesla wants to maintain its leadership image, they will have to respond to Mercedes in the next couple of months.