TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What autopilot means to you

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jkk_, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jkk_

jkk_ Member

Hi everyone.

There have been a lot comments in threads about the steering wheel and (lack of) instrument cluster in the Model 3 stating that those things are irrelevant anyway due to autopilot. That got me thinking what autopilot stands for me and thought it might be useful to get different ideas regarding this concept (you know, something that forums are meant to do - share ideas), so here goes, my 2 cents.

I love to drive. That being said, there are cases where driving is just boring. Simple examples, straight highway or heavy traffic. For those parts, it would be nice to give the controls to the car and let it take care of the boring bits. However, when driving on bendy roads with light traffic, it's just pure joy to drive (mind you, I don't mean that you need to be speeding). For those bits, I'd love to take the control from the car. So in other words, autopilot / autonomity for me would mean that I have the freedom to use my time in commuting as I feel I can make most of it. I hope that autopilot won't lessen the driving experience but rather improve it drastically.

I posted this in the Model 3 section as I'm thinking about this matter from the Model 3 context and there have been lots of discussing circling around this, I'm sure mods will move this if they feel that this is in the wrong section.

2. KenF

KenF New Member

I live in an area where the traffic is brutal -- mind numbing, stop-and-go traffic -- during rush hour and at other unpredictable times. We measure a commute in minutes per mile instead of miles per hour. It's so bad and so unpredictable that I dread driving anywhere driving during rush hour and in certain areas, even on weekends. My hope for auto-pilot is that it will allow the car to reliably handle the driving in such conditions to preserve my sanity.

3. Nosken

Nosken Member

My P85D has AutiPilot and, other than safety, it is awesome for 2 main reasons.

Bumper-to-bumper traffic is no longer stressful, I simply turn the following distance down to one, and let autopilot do all the work.

The other advantage to autopilot, is on long open roads, it does the mundane task of keeping the car centered in the road and allows you to look around, and be more aware for other things. The side effect is I arrive at my destination much more refreshed, since I have not had the physical and mental fatigue of making constant, on course corrections.

• Informative x 1
  4. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

This has been, for me, the life changing thing about AP. I drive the I95 corridor through NY/CT, often during rush hour, and AP has totally changed my commute. My drive is 190 miles from RI to JFK (no, I don't do this every day. Once a week. I'm headed there today) and can take anywhere from 3.5-6 hours depending on traffic. AP has made me not dread my drive. In many ways, I enjoy it now. Because it's just so cool. ;)

To OP, you only use AP when you want to - so you certainly won't miss out on the diving experience. But it's great to have when you do.

• Helpful x 1
  5. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

This is essentially how I envision using AutoPilot, and it sounds glorious. I don't know all the options I'm going to select on the Model 3, but I do know that AutoPilot is going to be one of them for sure.

6. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

If everyone gets one option - it should be Autopilot. But the great thing about Tesla is you can choose to turn it on later if you can't swing it initially.

• Like x 1
  7. Beryl

Beryl Member

All highway driving has AP turned on here. It has changed me from one who hated to drive in Houston to one who enjoys it. (Traffic is as congested as many other big cities but most Houston drivers are extremely aggressive and don't signal turns and lane changes.)

I keep distance at 7 unless it is a very very long stretch of low speeds and then I bump it down a bit (5 or 6). TACC stays on even when Autosteer is off.

You might want to review the contributions of TMC member @Papafox :
    A flight instructor teaches Tesla Autopilot

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1