Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What battery failure looks like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
last week I went from 220 miles at 90% to now 200@ 90%, without a software update. 100% was 252, now its 218... yet remotely tesla says its perfectly fine... it happened overnight... not over a month or 2. seems like a small cell of 3-5kw has gone bad, does that seem logical ?

Ask the roadster owners -- many have paid handsomely out of pocket. Hopefully battery prices are dropped to <10k and/or refurbs available at a reasonable price... if word gets out that folks are paying 20k for a replacement battery, it'll be awful PR for Tesla

Reactions: sundaymorning
I’ve wondered what signs there are for failure. Wonder if others can chime in on that?

115k miles for me. I was able to charge to 250 miles and lately it’s dropped to 246 (per the Stats app) on a full charge, but I can’t get to 100% ever. Now my car is stopping at 240-242. I can’t pass 96-97% anymore. I’ve tried BMS calibration. No luck.

OP- did you have shuddering with regen when charges a bit higher? Before when it was limited it was smooth, just not as strong. Now 80%+ and I get a shudder with it. It’s not the brakes or anything else I don’t think because once the battery gets below 80%ish it’s not an issue anymore. Completely disappears.

Reactions: am_dmd
No driving issues just range issues. Most people expect batteries to replaced due to loss of range. Tesla will not. Battery failure is very obvious and happens quickly.

Advice to owners thinking they are having battery issues... keep driving it and you will know when it fails. Going to the SC is just a waste of time if it isn't really failure

No driving issues just range issues. Most people expect batteries to replaced due to loss of range. Tesla will not. Battery failure is very obvious and happens quickly.

Advice to owners thinking they are having battery issues... keep driving it and you will know when it fails. Going to the SC is just a waste of time if it isn't really failure
Will charging to 100% every day help? ;)