Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What BEVs are you cross-shopping against the Model Y?

What BEVs are you cross-shopping against the Model Y?

• Tesla Model X

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Tesla Model S

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Tesla Model 3

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Jaguar I-PACE

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Audi e-tron / e-tron Sportback

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Mercedes-Benz EQC

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • BMW iX3

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rivian R1S

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Polestar 2

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Kia Niro EV / Hyundai Kona Electric / Kia Soul EV

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Chevrolet Bolt EV

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Nissan LEAF e-Plus

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model Y will enter the mid-sized CUV market with few battery-only competitors.
Which of these other models do you expect to seriously consider before making a purchase decision on the Model Y?
It's difficult to have a clear idea of the competitors of the Model Y and what versions would be available.
I think the Model Y SR would target the Kona type, and the Model Y LR would target the i-Pace and the e-tron.

x-i-e.jpg

Here is a good efficiency test posted today by Bjørn Nyland comparing the e-tron, I-Pace and Model X.

I’m surprised at the initial responses. I expected the I-PACE to get more attention being similarly sized and priced; plus they’re available now. Just no love for the Jaguar here. Maybe that’s why they’re not selling so well, so I read?

I’m surprised at the initial responses. I expected the I-PACE to get more attention being similarly sized and priced; plus they’re available now. Just no love for the Jaguar here. Maybe that’s why they’re not selling so well, so I read?

The jaguar is Meh in my opinion. The Audi and Niro look decent. The Rivian SUV isn’t great imo but the truck looks nice.

Starting at $69,500 with most ones I'm seeing at my local dealer closer to $80,000? I'm not sure how that's a competing vehicle for the Model Y, which will (eventually) start around 40K and might touch 70K for Performance.

Starting at $69,500 with most ones I'm seeing at my local dealer closer to $80,000? I'm not sure how that's a competing vehicle for the Model Y, which will (eventually) start around 40K and might touch 70K for Performance.
Those prices are for a Model Y in mid-2020. The I-PACE is starting like the Model 3 with decked out models now. The question is what will the cheapest I-PACE price be compared to whatever Model Y you can buy in 18 months.

Where is the indication that I-PACE is going to be priced anywhere below $69,500? That’s what came back with my google searches for base MSRP.

The original RWD Long Range Premium interior version of the Model 3 was $49,000. With Dual Motor likely part of the first production config (if not standard), plus the 10% price bump Elon mentioned, means a first-production Model Y is likely to come in at about $60K.

We've found out recently that we're expecting, and her having the older of the 2 vehicles...she'll be up next.

We have our first appointment, oddly enough, Thursday morning, to find out just how many car seats we'll need.

But we also have a 60lb coonhound and a 30lb beagle. Right now...1 car seat+the 2 dogs would work in the Model 3...as long as the roof rack gets here eventually, and I can put stuff on the roof pod.

I think we'll eventually have a Model Y either way.

I won’t consider any EV that doesn’t have a fast charging network. For me, the Supercharger network is what makes a Tesla a no-compromise replacement of an ICE vehicle. Sure, waking up with a full charge every day is great, but for those of us who enjoy taking road trips, a fast charging network is absolutely necessary.

Jaguar iPace - 234 mi range - $69,500
Audi eTron - 248 mi range - $74,800
Mercedes-Benz EQC - ~250 mi? - ~$70K?
BMW iX3 - ~250 mi range - ~$62K?
Rivian R1S - 240-410 mi range - $72K+
Polestar 2 - 275 mi range - $63K
Kia Niro EV - 239 mi range - $37K
Hyundai Kona Electric - 258 mi - $36,450
Kia Soul EV (2020) - 210 mi range - ~$34K
Chevrolet Bolt EV - 238 mi range - $36,620
Nissan LEAF e-Plus - 226 - $35K+?

I would take a base Model 3 or Y with no options before any of the above. These manufacturers say their cars can fast charge, but without a network of charging stations, that claim is useless to me. I hope these manufacturers can be competitive in the future, so EV buyers have more reasonable options. For now, Tesla is the only realistic ICE replacement in the next 3+ years IMO.

I won’t consider any EV that doesn’t have a fast charging network. For me, the Supercharger network is what makes a Tesla a no-compromise replacement of an ICE vehicle. Sure, waking up with a full charge every day is great, but for those of us who enjoy taking road trips, a fast charging network is absolutely necessary.

Jaguar iPace - 234 mi range - $69,500
Audi eTron - 248 mi range - $74,800
Mercedes-Benz EQC - ~250 mi? - ~$70K?
BMW iX3 - ~250 mi range - ~$62K?
Rivian R1S - 240-410 mi range - $72K+
Polestar 2 - 275 mi range - $63K
Kia Niro EV - 239 mi range - $37K
Hyundai Kona Electric - 258 mi - $36,450
Kia Soul EV (2020) - 210 mi range - ~$34K
Chevrolet Bolt EV - 238 mi range - $36,620
Nissan LEAF e-Plus - 226 - $35K+?

I would take a base Model 3 or Y with no options before any of the above. These manufacturers say their cars can fast charge, but without a network of charging stations, that claim is useless to me. I hope these manufacturers can be competitive in the future, so EV buyers have more reasonable options. For now, Tesla is the only realistic ICE replacement in the next 3+ years IMO.

Electrify America is building out. They have a 350 KW set of chargers a few miles from me. Of course, there are no cars that can use them at full speed yet. But I expect to see Taycans at them. They say they fill a 100KW battery to 80% in 15 minutes.

Well they'll probably be selling for below MSRP, but my point is a $60k Model Y is close enough to a $70k I-PACE that I would expect many people to consider both.

I don't know. When the premium (not Performance) Model Y is 10K below the BASE I-PACE, I'm not sure they're competing for the same customers. At the very least there's a lot of people who will bail out at that starting price (like me).

I think the Niro is closer but on the low end. Both their starting prices are just outside of 10K from eachother.

If Y is 10% more than 3, the only real competitor in price and size would be Niro. A fully loaded Y still won't come close to the cost of i-pace, yet most will find the Y with plenty of room and space and performance.

If Tesla simply made the 3 a hatchback a la Prius V they would sell bunches more on that simple variation.

Reactions: HostileHarry
I’m surprised at the poll responses. Clearly the other Teslas are being considered (not a surprise) but the Niro, Kona, Soul trio has many votes. I don’t think the Niro prices have been released yet but I suspect that one will be the closest competitor to Model Y SR. The Y is bigger, faster and obviously a step up though.

Anyone seriously comparing the Kona or Soul to the Model Y instead of the Niro?

wasn't shopping BEV much at all prior to the Y announcement (unless you count the X, which is too pricey for me). Was inching towards a '19 RAV4 Hybrid -- but the timing aligned to where we decided to wait (and save) until the Y -- almost two years is a lot of time.