Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What BEVs are you cross-shopping against the Model Y?

What BEVs are you cross-shopping against the Model Y?

• Tesla Model X

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Tesla Model S

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Tesla Model 3

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Jaguar I-PACE

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Audi e-tron / e-tron Sportback

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Mercedes-Benz EQC

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • BMW iX3

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Rivian R1S

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Polestar 2

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Kia Niro EV / Hyundai Kona Electric / Kia Soul EV

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Chevrolet Bolt EV

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Nissan LEAF e-Plus

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While it's a PHEV, I think the Rav4 Prime has the biggest chance of stealing potential Tesla Y buyers...

Starting at 39000, with 7500 rebate from the US Government... That would make the price closer to around 15000 difference unless there were more state incentives at play...

The Rav4 Prime is not available in our state and we were told by the Toyota Dealer that they are only being sold in CA and were selling for much more than MSRP. Unless Toyota increases production, it won't be any competition. We were open to leasing one for 3 years in the hopes that there would be a more choices when the lease ended. Wasn't an option, so we decided we'd just get the MY instead of waiting for vehicles that might or might not ever become available.

Yup - they're hard to find. I'm in NJ and the dealers near me have 1, no choice in color and accessories. Many are the XSE Trim with Tech Package so they're pushing close to 45k before the tax credit... Maybe even higher with options... If it's that close, I'd want the Y as well.

I've heard production will improve for more 2021 deliveries...

I have no issues with the Polestar per se, but it goes against the appreciation I have with a minimalistic approach like Tesla does. The Polestar looks like a typical Volvo aside from a couple standout differences (like the shifter)...

I don't mind the Polestar being manufactured in China, as it is largely based off of the Volvo design. The Polestar will appear to buyers who reject the Tesla minimalistic approach.

• Disagree
Reactions: BlindPass
I have no issues with the Polestar per se, but it goes against the appreciation I have with a minimalistic approach like Tesla does. The Polestar looks like a typical Volvo aside from a couple standout differences (like the shifter)...

I don't mind the Polestar being manufactured in China, as it is largely based off of the Volvo design. The Polestar will appear to buyers who reject the Tesla minimalistic approach.
Disagree.
Polestar’s interior is a near optimal minimalistic approach. Nordic clean and efficient.

I’ve come to realize Tesla isn’t minimalistic as much as it is cheap.

Reactions: raggedy
I thought about and actually went to look at the Kona EV. However, once I found out that the US version didn't come with a thermal management system (the canadian version does), I rejected it. Sadly, the sales person had no idea what I was talking about. The others, the price was too high or they are available until maybe late this year or next year (maybe).

I posted this in another thread where the Polestar 2 was mentioned, but since it has a few here, I'll post it as well - my test drive last week of the Polestar 2 - Polestar 2 Test Drive

@DanDi58 thanks for the blog post, nice read.

As to the original cross-shopping quesiton:

My partner and I both really like the e-tron and e-tron sportback, but aren't as crazy about the price! So, it's essentially out.

I notice the Mach-e isn't in the list above (probably predated it?) but I was kind of interested in it. Have been a Ford guy for many years, and my best bud and his family own and operate a couple of local Ford dealerships. I think we've ruled out the Mach-e just because it's too new without a proven EV track record from Ford (despite the Focus EV and some good hybrids).

We both quite like the Polestar 2 for it's looks, performance, and pricing (somewhere between M3 and MY depending on options). Oh and the Android-based infotainment would be awesome for me. We haven't been lucky enough to see/try one in person, but all impressions seem to be that it would be cramped, especially for me being a heavier guy. Access to the Supercharger network is a bonus none of these share, plus a good history of fully-electrified vehicle production and support. Tesla have really defined the market to far.

We have test-driven an MY (LR AWD) at a local Tesla sales office and quite liked it. Well, so far I'm the only one that's driven as my partner wasn't feeling great that day, but we are going to go for a second one in the next few weeks so she can get behind the wheel, and then I think we are pretty much set to order one. To me this is basically the best option all around: spacious enough for our needs but not super-large (so still easy to drive); minimalistic interior is really nice (though will take some getting used to!); great range and more than enough performance for our needs; proven EV track record; supercharger network access; constant innovation and updates via OTA software releases. The list really goes on and on. I do wish it had Android Auto support (okay, and Car Play for completeness, though I'll hopefully never need that).

EDIT: I forgot to mention: I know there's some concern around the Polestar 2 being assembled in China. Honestly, from all the reviews I've seen so far on YouTube, it seems like the build quality is still miles-ahead of the Freemont-built MY, sadly. I know there are some political concerns but in terms of actual vehicle build quality, it seems like the Polestar 2 is actually quite a bit further ahead. Mind you, these are pretty much all test drive or media review units so far, so perhaps they've been hand-picked and might not represent actual mass-production quality the end consumers could expect? Hard to say for sure at this point until more are in the wild.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
My personal belief is that the Chinese can build an exceptional product, if they choose to do so. They can also build super cheap garbage if asked to do so.

I would be willing to bet that the P2 will be better assembled and without a doubt have better paint quality than any Tesla. I think we can already see Volvos with better assembly than what Tesla has shown with their cars.

As for the comment about spyware, yes, we see reports of the Chinese spying and stealing secrets, but along the subject of cars, how is Tesla knowing every last move you make in their cars any different?

Im not a Tesla hater. I am being pragmatic about my choice of EVs for now (MY order placed on hold due to lack of need and lack of faith in quality at this time), but I will abandon my 100 dollars if I feel I can get a better overall EV elsewhere. Note I said "better overall" because I do put a lot of weight in the Supercharger Network, and in fact, if it weren't for the Network I'd likely just buy some other EV and give up some miles-per-charge but assuredly get a better assembled product out the door.