Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Bike Rack has less drag: Roof Rack or Hitch Rack

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
I use a hitch rack (1-UP) to carry my mountain bike on the X. My ballpark estimate is that it costs me about 10-15% consumption. I'm guessing that the penalty is less since the X is so big that most of the bike is sheltered by the car body. I would expect the parachute effect to be greater on a smaller car.

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
Well I drove the X today to pick up a bike. At similar speed, the difference in consumption was around 50-70Wh per mile (325 vs 375-395). Mountain ebike on a hitch rack.

Reactions: reardencode

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC