Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What bike rack to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many bikes? Bike type? Do you have other components currently (ie roof rack from older car)? Tray mount?

Big contenders are
Yakima
Thule
Kuat
+/- 1up&rocky mounts&saris

I have each of the first three.

I like the Kuat best for fit and finish.

If only two bikes, a swing-away arm is super helpful, but adds 30-50lbs, so be aware of that. The model Y is quite limited in vertical load on the hitch (note it is NOT tongue weight).

How many bikes? Bike type? Do you have other components currently (ie roof rack from older car)? Tray mount?

Big contenders are
Yakima
Thule
Kuat

If only two bikes, a swing-away arm is super helpful, but adds 30-50lbs, so be aware of that. The model Y is quite limited in vertical load on the hitch (note it is NOT tongue weight).

When I did my research a while back I ended up getting Rocky Mounts Monorail 2” hitch rack. I compared all brands looking at platform racks and ended up with the one I felt was the best value given the quality, looks, fit and finish. They went up in price though and sold out everywhere.

I have a Thule Vertex 5 which has a 2" hitch. I only have 4 bikes between our whole family, but it is nice to have the extra space to maneuver them. I think it was in the high 200's/low 300's after tax at a local shop.

Big contenders are
Yakima
Thule
Kuat

Two hybrid bikes and i have no other components. Do not know enough about bike rakes as to what type to get.....ie tray mount, etc.

This rack on Amazon gets great write ups....any thoughts:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079C6PNYM/

I just bought the Hollywood Racks Sportrider SE2, waiting for delivery tomorrow.

I chose this one because it can handle 50lb/bike (I have a 42lb pedal assist e-bike), secures to the frame rather than the wheels (fender compatible, which most platforms are not!), and consistently high ratings from users.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
I had one of these for my Model S, it rocked for any use case I could think of (for 2 bikes anyway): Thule T2 Pro XT

The only issue was ground clearance, which should not be an issue on the Y, with its hitch receiver being almost 2" higher from the ground, and being integral to the bumper as opposed to sitting below and out from it.

I'm happy to report the Hollywood Rack Sportrider SE2 (1450Z) works just great with the MY hitch.

More importantly, as one of the few racks that secures the bikes by the frame and not the tires, it's compatible with a wider range of bikes, including those with fenders. Weight limit (50lb per bike) more than sufficient for my Yamaha CrossConnect e-bike (43lb without battery).

Thanks, this was interesting. I hadn’t thought about the value of being able to swing them out 90 degrees for supercharging. That could be helpful.

I’ve been looking at racks for 2 bikes. I looked at the 1Ups that get mentioned a lot, but haven’t been able to decide.

1Up allows you to open the hatch even in the “up” position. I’m not sure if any other bike racks where you can do that.

Thanks, this was interesting. I hadn’t thought about the value of being able to swing them out 90 degrees for supercharging. That could be helpful.

I’ve been looking at racks for 2 bikes. I looked at the 1Ups that get mentioned a lot, but haven’t been able to decide.
I've been observing cars with hitch racks at Superchargers. It appears that (at least for a 1 or 2 bike rack) there is enough clearance between stalls to back in close enough to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Gizmotoy
1Up allows you to open the hatch even in the “up” position. I’m not sure if any other bike racks where you can do that.
This almost seems worse to me. Doesn't this imply it sits further from the vehicle and puts more strain on the receiver than one that sits closer? Especially if you add a third bike.

Kuat has been rock solid. Highly recommend.
Which one did you get?