Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What bike rack to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up purchasing the KAC Overdrive Sports K2 2” Hitch Mounted Rack 2-Bike Platform Style Carrier on Amazon:
20201002_110732.jpg

So far I am very impressed. The company that makes the rack is very responsive to email communication. This rack went on sale for $30 off a week after buying it and I was issued a refund for that amount plus tax with a simple email. One other thing to note, the hitch pin lock that comes with this rack is not usable with the factory hitch since there is not enough space between the 2" receiver and the plug for the electrical connections. A simple fix is obtaining a 90 degree lock, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBM2NNP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_H9dEFbE1BJX9S

Model X certainly has a 120lb dead weight limit on the hitch. The store link you posted describes the Y as having the same limit.

That is rack + bikes must be <= 120lb. (If you're towing something with its own wheels, that's a different matter.)

There have been many threads about this in the past, e.g. Model X Trailer Hitch Ratings That thread shows a section of the Model X manual, and it sounds like the same limit is in effect for both vehicles.

Practically that limits you to a 2-bike solution.

Thanks for the confirmation of the 120 lb tongue weight limit. This entire situation is confusing because someone else posted a 160 lb limit from the Model Y owners manual. If the Model X only has 120 lb tongue weight, there's no way that the Model Y has more at 160 lb.

PdpBAnf.jpg

A typical 2-bike steel platform bike rack weighs 40 lb, so that limits us to 80 lb of bikes, as the Model X manual says. It may be worth investigating a light-weight aluminum rack for > 2 bikes, but that would still limit the weight of each bike significantly as the aluminum would not be able to support as much weight as steel.

Thanks for the confirmation of the 120 lb tongue weight limit. This entire situation is confusing because someone else posted a 160 lb limit from the Model Y owners manual. If the Model X only has 120 lb tongue weight, there's no way that the Model Y has more at 160 lb.

PdpBAnf.jpg

A typical 2-bike steel platform bike rack weighs 40 lb, so that limits us to 80 lb of bikes, as the Model X manual says. It may be worth investigating a light-weight aluminum rack for > 2 bikes, but that would still limit the weight of each bike significantly as the aluminum would not be able to support as much weight as steel.
From model Y owners manual (page 72):

Carrying Accessories
The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads
up to 160 lbs (72 kg). When carrying bicycles, skis, or
other items on the Model Y hitch, always check to
ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When
calculating weight, remember to include the weight of
the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier
weighs 40 lbs (18 kg), the weight threshold is sufficient
for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 60 lbs
(27 kg) each, or four items weighing approximately 30
lbs (14 kg) each.

Last edited:
I talked to my Tesla sales advisor to ask about the tongue weight for vertical loads. Initially, he did not know so I had him do some research internally.

The max tongue weight for vertical loads (e.g. bike racks) is 120lb, so the value in Model X/Y Hitch Rack page is correct (and matches the value for Model X hitch). He told me that the 160 lb mentioned in page 72 of the Model Y owners manual is a typo, and will be corrected soon in later revisions of the owners manual.

This means that assuming a 40 lb bike rack, we are able to load up to 80 lb of bikes, or roughly 40 lb per bike for 2 bikes.

This means that assuming a 40 lb bike rack, we are able to load up to 80 lb of bikes, or roughly 40 lb per bike for 2 bikes.
Unfortunately that rules out many e-bikes, assuming you want your rack to hold two at the same time.

For example, here is a two-bike rack with a very useful feature; it can be swung away from the car and off to the side for easy trunk access or for easier Supercharging. BackStage

But the rack weighs 59lb, leaving only 30 lbs for each bike. For a non-electric bike that is okay, but for e-bikes many are heavier than that.

Last edited:
I would check out this website - I believe it has the most comprehensive and thorough analysis of all major bike carriers..

Best Car Bike Racks of 2020

They rate the Thule XT pro 2 as the best carrier - and I absolutely loved it on my old car. It was a 11/4 inch hitch and I’ll probably buy the 2 inch version next year.. the only downside is that the 4 bike version is probably not practical on the Y due to the tongue limits.. Ideally I would want a 3-bike version but that doesn’t exist.

Many people have mentioned 1up and it can accommodate three bikes but the following are non-starters for me:

1.) It’s so ugly! It looks like an 8th graders science project.
2.) No built in locks. I want some protection especially when carrying my high end road bikes
3.) Apparently the tilt feature is difficult to use due to the placement of the handle.

the only downside is that the 4 bike version is probably not practical on the Y due to the tongue limits.
The Model Y Bosal factory hitch tongue weight limit is irrelevant when you are using the hitch for a bike rack, in which case the weight limit is 120 lbs total, which means the weight of the bike rack plus plus the weight of the bikes.

Tongue weight is the weight of a trailer tongue pressing down vertically on a hitch ball.

I looking at this carrier. We have electric fat tire bikes that are about 60lbs each without the batteries. It has very good reviews and seems to be sturdy. Will post a review after I get it and try it out.

Sport Rider for Electric Bikes
Nice bike rack. Stated weight is 58 lbs and is rated to carry two bikes up to 80 lbs each. But for the Bosal hitch that Tesla offers on the Model Y, that rack would be limited to two bikes weighing up to 31 lbs each or one bike up to 62 lbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuart Watson
In a thread in the Model X forum, @ohmman did a nice job of describing the difference between the tongue weight spec and the hitch carrying weight spec:
Regarding the difference between tongue weight and hitch-carrying weight - they aren't the same thing. In the case of tongue weight, that represents near direct downward force on the trailer hitch at the point of connection. Trailers, after all, have an axle of their own. Hitch trays, on the other hand, are cantilevered out of the back. Torque increases by distance away from the hitch attachment point... If that doesn't make immediate sense to you logically, imagine picking up the tongue of a trailer that weighs 150 lbs. You can lift it, but you're doing it like a seesaw with the axle as the fulcrum. Now imagine holding the post of a flat tray, and putting 150 lbs on that tray. You can't hold it from underneath, only by gripping the post. Obviously the latter is significantly more strain.

Here's a vote for the Hollywood Sport Rider SE2. Sport Rider SE2 Hitch Bike Rack

Just completed a 1,000 mile round trip, with my 50lb e-bike on this rack. Rock solid, and very little impact on energy consumption.
The web page for that rack states “This rack can be folded flat against the car when not being used and tilted in order to easily gain access the cargo area” but there are not any photos showing how it “tilts”. Can you post a photo showing that? Thanks!

there are not any photos showing how it “tilts”
A similar Sport Rider rack for heavier ebikes with fatter tires has a picture of it folded: Sport Rider for Electric Bikes

sport rider folded.jpg

Edit: Actually, if you click the right arrow for the 4 pictures of the Sport Rider SE2 Hitch Bike Rack, the 7th picture has measurements and 8th/9th pictures are folded from different angles.

Last edited:
The web page for that rack states “This rack can be folded flat against the car when not being used and tilted in order to easily gain access the cargo area” but there are not any photos showing how it “tilts”. Can you post a photo showing that? Thanks!
I don't have the rack on, but there are three positions: folded up (DO NOT OPEN HATCH!!!), partially folded (around 45 degrees, allowing hatch access), and fully down (transport mode for bikes). With bikes on, in the last position DO NOT OPEN HATCH!!!. With no bikes on, if the tower piece (the one that the clamps to secure bikes' frames) is folded down, no problem with the hatch. I did not look at clearances when it was in transport mode sans bikes.

I'm at a loss here. I have two Model Y's (one long range and one short range). Neither has the tow hitch. We want the ability to transport bikes with one of the cars. A client of mine who is a former service manager at Tesla told me that installing any after market product not through Tesla can invalidate the Tesla Warranty on the car (on at least the affected area of the car). $1200 for Tesla to install the tow hitch aftermarket plus an additional $450+ for a bike rack seems like a lot of money to schlep a couple of bikes around. I considered the roof rack option, but can't see my wife lifting a bike onto the roof of the Model Y without damaging the car. What other good yet affordable options should I be considering?