Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What bike rack to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at a loss here. I have two Model Y's (one long range and one short range). Neither has the tow hitch. We want the ability to transport bikes with one of the cars. A client of mine who is a former service manager at Tesla told me that installing any after market product not through Tesla can invalidate the Tesla Warranty on the car (on at least the affected area of the car). $1200 for Tesla to install the tow hitch aftermarket plus an additional $450+ for a bike rack seems like a lot of money to schlep a couple of bikes around. I considered the roof rack option, but can't see my wife lifting a bike onto the roof of the Model Y without damaging the car. What other good yet affordable options should I be considering?
Why don’t you install an aftermarket hitch?

Tesla is right to say it *can* invalidate the warranty if the hitch is proven to be the cause of a related failure. But what failure do you expect to occur from attaching a hitch?

Reactions: cstork
On my 2017 4Runner, I have the 1Up USA hitch rack. It was well worth the money. I recommend purchasing the single bike version as well as an additional add-on rack in case you need to transport a second bike.

The 1Up rack fits snugly in the receiver with no wobble and has holes for securing it to the receiver with a lock. I just leave it on because it folds up close to the rear bumper when not in use.

I use a U-lock and cable instead of the locks that go through the front and back wheels that 1Up sells for the rack. (In any case, don't leave it out overnight.)

Fuel economy has been unaffected by the hitch rack.
A roof bike rack on the 4Runner would be a bad idea because you wouldn't be able to fit under most drive-throughs or into most parking garages. I previously tried a roof rack on my Touareg and found it to be ineffective.

I had a roof rack on a Flex that has basically 3 sunroofs. It only took one bike dropping off the rack and cracking one of them to reinforce why I don't like loading anything over the glass. Having a roof rack on the roof of the MY just brings back that terrible feeling I had when I heard the bike drop and crack the glass.

When I compare the cost of the hitch, and a bike rack compared to the money I spent repairing that roof and subsequent leaks I had to deal with, I made sure I ordered the hitch for our MY. I can't imagine the roof would be cheap to replace on this. Turning it into insurance will drive up my premiums, so better to mitigate that risk by avoiding it all together.

Reactions: cstork
I decided to skip a hitch and store them inside as transporting bikes in the Y for me would have been when one or two bikes were needed. I have tested my road bike (pictured), MTB, and two bikes at the same time (from XS to XL), and had plenty of room.
20210425_104659.jpg

Now when the family rides... That's a whole other story 😅
20210403_123139-01.jpg

I had a roof rack on a Flex that has basically 3 sunroofs. It only took one bike dropping off the rack and cracking one of them to reinforce why I don't like loading anything over the glass. Having a roof rack on the roof of the MY just brings back that terrible feeling I had when I heard the dirt bike drop and crack the glass.

When I compare the cost of the hitch, and a bike rack compared to the money I spent repairing that roof and subsequent leaks I had to deal with, I made sure I ordered the hitch for our MY. I can't imagine the roof would be cheap to replace on this. Turning it into insurance will drive up my premiums, so better to mitigate that risk by avoiding it all together.
Roof racks on most cars have "rails" that run front to back and two crossbars that run side to side. However, some cars have rails but no crossbars, while others have low profile or hidden rails... it's difficult to tell from your description, but I'm guessing you have crossbars.

Crossbars are used to attach roof accessories such as baskets and cargo boxes. The mounts are designed to fit a variety of crossbars, but they may not fit all of them. Check out Thule's fit guide if you're thinking about buying one.

We just upgraded bikes for the family and plan to take the bikes with us to San Francisco this Summer (about 200 miles roundtrip). We figured we should also upgrade our current hanging-style bike rack to the platform-style.

I was all set to get the Kuat V2 Transfer 3 until I came across the mention of fenders, which two of our cruiser bikes have. Thanks, @rxlawdude for the heads up and your contributions in the bike rack threads. I am awaiting delivery of the Hollywood Destination 4. The Hollywood weighs 42 pounds, and two of our cruiser bikes are pretty heavy at 39 pounds each. Fortunately, we only need to carry three bikes and should be able to stay just below the 160-lb Tesla hitch vertical weight limit.

We just upgraded bikes for the family and plan to take the bikes with us to San Francisco this Summer (about 200 miles roundtrip). We figured we should also upgrade our current hanging-style bike rack to the platform-style.

I was all set to get the Kuat V2 Transfer 3 until I came across the mention of fenders, which two of our cruiser bikes have. Thanks, @rxlawdude for the heads up and your contributions in the bike rack threads. I am awaiting delivery of the Hollywood Destination 4. The Hollywood weighs 42 pounds, and two of our cruiser bikes are pretty heavy at 39 pounds each. Fortunately, we only need to carry three bikes and should be able to stay just below the 160-lb Tesla hitch vertical weight limit.

Whatever rack you use, do not leave your bikes unattended (even if locked) in the bay area, and SF in particular, if you want to keep them.

Reactions: house9
Whatever rack you use, do not leave your bikes unattended (even if locked) in the bay area, and SF in particular, if you want to keep them.
Thanks for the tip, @Zorg! Have things gotten that bad in SF?? We were planning a day trip and hitting the various museums in Golden Gate park and riding to the ocean at the far end of the park. I planned to bring a lock but should I bring multiple locks?

Thanks for the tip, @Zorg! Have things gotten that bad in SF?? We were planning a day trip and hitting the various museums in Golden Gate park and riding to the ocean at the far end of the park. I planned to bring a lock but should I bring multiple locks?
It's been pretty ugly for a while, with photographers getting strong arm robbed at known photographic sites. And burglars have been relentless at drilling holes in garage doors in the Sunset to open em up and grab bikes in particular. Bikes got pretty valuable during the shut down, but it's hard to fathom there are that many buyers for so obviously stolen ones.

I'm not sure what it takes to mitigate the risk to unattended, locked bikes. I'm on that ride it wherever I go frame of mind.

First I’d pick the lightest possible, such as alloy Kuat, for hitch mount. Not just because of weight limitations but also to make the thing say to take on and off. You wan to remove it and leave it off as much as possible, they all cut into range to at least a minor degree even when not in use.

The roof racks... they’re bad enough with other vehicles. I know of at least 4 cases where folks ran into something (two their own garage doors) and one case where a bike flew off ... all of these expensive carbon, all destroyed. and the drag likely approaches I dunno, 75 miles of range loss at highway speeds. its huge.

I am switching from a 3 to Y just so I can get the bike in the back without taking off a wheel, which had to do in m3.
but if you just have to have a rack, again, going light is wish for hitch rack. if dont have hitch the suction cup kind by reputation work well.

It's been pretty ugly for a while, with photographers getting strong arm robbed at known photographic sites. And burglars have been relentless at drilling holes in garage doors in the Sunset to open em up and grab bikes in particular. Bikes got pretty valuable during the shut down, but it's hard to fathom there are that many buyers for so obviously stolen ones.

I'm not sure what it takes to mitigate the risk to unattended, locked bikes. I'm on that ride it wherever I go frame of mind.

Thieves will cut your lock in 60 secs or less and will take off with your bike. I would never leave my bike unattended on a bike rack, or in the car in SF (or Santa Cruz). I mean, people bust Tesla windows just to see if there's anything in the trunk...

I hate to be that guy, but I wouldn't do it. I truly hate bike thieves, but nobody seems to really care.

Thieves will cut your lock in 60 secs or less and will take off with your bike. I would never leave my bike unattended on a bike rack, or in the car in SF (or Santa Cruz). I mean, people bust Tesla windows just to see if there's anything in the trunk...

I hate to be that guy, but I wouldn't do it. I truly hate bike thieves, but nobody seems to really care.
Thanks for the education, Zorg! It got me researching articles and videos and my jaw dropped at how insecure my current locks are. I did not realize how easy it is to compromise and break common bike locks and cables. I am looking into the OnGuard Brute as it is too thick for bolt cutters. No lock is 100% but, at the very least, someone would need power tools to cut the Brute.

Reactions: advocate8 and Zorg
Thanks for the education, Zorg! It got me researching articles and videos and my jaw dropped at how insecure my current locks are. I did not realize how easy it is to compromise and break common bike locks and cables. I am looking into the OnGuard Brute as it is too thick for bolt cutters. No lock is 100% but, at the very least, someone would need power tools to cut the Brute.
If you go for it, let us know how it went.

Out of curiosity, what types of locks are people using in SF (or other areas) if they know thefts are high?

I definitely have a new found appreciation for bike security. I only had my bike stolen once and that was 25 years ago in college because I simply didn't lock it up between classes. I never got around to getting a bike lock back then and went a month without a lock before the bike was stolen. Some of today's locks cost more than that old bike in college but I still felt stupid afterwards since the bike held more sentimental value than monetary value. Times have definitely changed that I worry about a bike like I worry about my car. At least the car is insured.

Out of curiosity, what types of locks are people using in SF (or other areas) if they know thefts are high?

I definitely have a new found appreciation for bike security. I only had my bike stolen once and that was 25 years ago in college because I simply didn't lock it up between classes. I never got around to getting a bike lock back then and went a month without a lock before the bike was stolen. Some of today's locks cost more than that old bike in college but I still felt stupid afterwards since the bike held more sentimental value than monetary value. Times have definitely changed that I worry about a bike like I worry about my car. At least the car is insured.
I wouldn't know. I only transport my bike to the trailhead and then go for a ride, so the bike is never left unattended. Stealing bikes and selling them for parts and what not is an ongoing business around the bay.

Reactions: mrmtb

There is a tradeoff between weight and security. I had a very expensive bike and my lock and chain weighed more than the bike. They tried to cut down the pole it was locked to rather than the lock/chain combo. All was going well until they hit a power line inside the pole and took out the power for the entire neighborhood.

I would suggest browsing some of the UK websites for good lock reviews. Many of the same locks are available here. All a lock will do is slow down a determined thief and make him look for an easier target.

If security while the rack is loaded in important then look at the Kuat V2 which comes with integrated locks. It's convenient for a quick lunch or dinner though I'd still park with the rack and bikes visible. It's not going to prevent a pro obviously but it will deter crimes of opportunity.

As for locking in the city, nothing is gonna stop a grinder and a motivated thief. If you have to ride and lock up, keep a beater around.

Thanks for all the replies. Ridiculous that we can't just enjoy nice things. I am planning on ordering three of either the OnGuard PitBull, or even stronger Brute, and will utilize a weaker cable for the front wheel/seat. I realize this is all just deterrent against a determined thief. Hopefully it will be enough for them to consider someone else's bike(s), sad as it is to say it that way. If we lock the bikes to the rack/hitch at any time, I'm going to be constantly checking Live Sentry, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Ridiculous that we can't just enjoy nice things. I am planning on ordering three of either the OnGuard PitBull, or even stronger Brute, and will utilize a weaker cable for the front wheel/seat. I realize this is all just deterrent against a determined thief. Hopefully it will be enough for them to consider someone else's bike(s), sad as it is to say it that way. If we lock the bikes to the rack/hitch at any time, I'm going to be constantly checking Live Sentry, lol.
if you lock your bikes in a spot with a bunch of bikes, then it's probably enough to be the less attractive target. But if your's are the only ones, the danger is tangible.