Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What bike rack to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Hollywood Destination 4 rack arrived but I’ve hit a snag. There is not enough room for the lock. Hollywood customer service said it’s okay to thread the locking bolt through the left side but that’s also a no-go due to the bolt being too long and the electrical plug being in the way. I may have some star screwdrivers somewhere to try and remove the electrical cover, doable, but that’s gonna be a hassle to remove and replace every time I install the hitch.

@rxlawdude , how did you manage to install the locking bolt with your Hollywood rack? Let me be clear, there’s enough clearance to install the rack on the Y with the supplied cotter pin, just not enough room to use the key lock. I have some other locking pins too but they’re incompatible and won’t insert past the threaded portion of the rack.

D687F497-BEE1-43A2-950C-D33FE4170962.jpeg
F9E48A83-159C-4255-BCBB-78223E4C660F.jpeg

I removed the Torx screws on the tow power plug cover, but can’t remove it completely because of some connections behind it that are hard to reach. This is starting to really be a hassle.

Sigh. I may have to return this rack because I wouldn’t feel safe not being able to lock it to the hitch. Good thing I made sure it’s still free return on this rack. It is a shame as I really like everything else about the rack. Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten the factory tow hitch with power connector.

F49407AB-3433-417A-B839-BE55FE9079E8.jpeg

Last edited:
I called up Hollywood and their recommendation was to stack a few more washers on the right-side of the bolt. That probably would work in theory but I still had trouble earlier inserting the key all the way. I will have to retry it again later but I’m already looking at other racks and will contact Kuat to see if they think the V2 Transfer 3 will work with our particular bikes with fenders. I could always remove and reinstall the fenders but would prefer not to.

I use the 1Up USA bike rack. It uses a bolt that requires a special hex key that your average criminal doesn't carry. Bolt screws straight inside the receiver and locks the bike. Super easy to put on and take off, so long as you have the special hex key.

Reactions: NJX3tomY
I use the 1Up USA bike rack. It uses a bolt that requires a special hex key that your average criminal doesn't carry. Bolt screws straight inside the receiver and locks the bike. Super easy to put on and take off, so long as you have the special hex key.
Except for the thousands who know this... and the wrench is easy to buy or make in 5 minutes. It's just an allen with a hole in the middle.

Besides being able to lock the bike rack to the hitch, my other challenge is finding a 3-bike rack that doesn’t exceed 48 lbs. All the 3-4 bike options from 1UP, Thule, Yakima, Kuat weigh 60+ pounds, leaving me with barely 90-100 pounds for three bikes. That may work if carrying light road/hybrid bikes but not when my family has two cruiser bikes that weigh 39 lbs each, with fenders. My road bike is a svelte 21 lbs but I’m planning to replace it with a hybrid/comfort style bike in the 30-34 lb range.

I suppose we can fold down half the rear seat and carry one bike inside the Y but this isn’t really optimum either. The Hollywood Destination 4-bike rack was really the holy grail for me because it only weighs 42 lbs and is fender-compatible, but alas I can’t get a lockable solution with it. I returned it already and the search continues…

Last edited:
Pleasant discovery! The Kuat V2 3-bike is actually "only" 51 lbs for the rack itself. This will be just enough to keep us within vertical hitch limits if my next bike is 31-lbs or less. Should also be easier to find a locking pin for the Kuat that fits within the space of the OEM hitch. I had a chat with Kuat Customer Support, as well as found some videos on YouTube, that suggest it is still workable with fenders. Will report back when I get the Kuat installed.

Thule vs Kuat with eBikes/bikes with fenders

I called up Hollywood and their recommendation was to stack a few more washers on the right-side of the bolt. That probably would work in theory but I still had trouble earlier inserting the key all the way. I will have to retry it again later but I’m already looking at other racks and will contact Kuat to see if they think the V2 Transfer 3 will work with our particular bikes with fenders. I could always remove and reinstall the fenders but would prefer not to.
I did nothing other than used the stock parts. Now, a caveat is my MY was delivered in 6/2020, and we know Tesla makes interim changes to parts. Hollywood may have updated their hitch and locking pin hardware in the last couple of years. Last use was in October 2020 and had two installations/removals during the month long road trip, but I don't remember cussing during those procedures, so it was apparently uneventful. 🤔

My hitch is currently back in a storage shed, and it's not convenient for me to take it to the car for a picture of it attached.

Besides being able to lock the bike rack to the hitch, my other challenge is finding a 3-bike rack that doesn’t exceed 48 lbs. All the 3-4 bike options from 1UP, Thule, Yakima, Kuat weigh 60+ pounds, leaving me with barely 90-100 pounds for three bikes. That may work if carrying light road/hybrid bikes but not when my family has two cruiser bikes that weigh 39 lbs each, with fenders. My road bike is a svelte 21 lbs but I’m planning to replace it with a hybrid/comfort style bike in the 30-34 lb range.

I suppose we can fold down half the rear seat and carry one bike inside the Y but this isn’t really optimum either. The Hollywood Destination 4-bike rack was really the holy grail for me because it only weighs 42 lbs and is fender-compatible, but alas I can’t get a lockable solution with it. I returned it already and the search continues…
The Thule Helium Pro 3 is only 20 lbs itself, but it does not have a very high bike load - only 37 lbs each bike with 112 lbs total. It's hitch lock is the knob style and it does not conflict with the tight space inside the MY's bumper cover, and the knob clears the bumper on the outside as well.

The downside is that it is a bit overpriced for what it is, IMO.

The Thule Helium Pro 3 is only 20 lbs itself, but it does not have a very high bike load - only 37 lbs each bike with 112 lbs total. It's hitch lock is the knob style and it does not conflict with the tight space inside the MY's bumper cover, and the knob clears the bumper on the outside as well.

The downside is that it is a bit overpriced for what it is, IMO.
Thanks, @jjgg , but I already have a locking hanging 4-bike rack that works well but my road bike was scratched up several times in the past transporting that way. Since the family all got new bikes I’d like to avoid having the bikes clang together with a hanging rack.

Wow, you’re right, that Thule Helium Pro 3 is almost the cost of the Kuat V2 Transfer 3, and almost 5x the cost of my Allen Deluxe lockable 4-bike hanging rack!

Pleasant discovery! The Kuat V2 3-bike is actually "only" 51 lbs for the rack itself. This will be just enough to keep us within vertical hitch limits if my next bike is 31-lbs or less. Should also be easier to find a locking pin for the Kuat that fits within the space of the OEM hitch. I had a chat with Kuat Customer Support, as well as found some videos on YouTube, that suggest it is still workable with fenders. Will report back when I get the Kuat installed.

Thule vs Kuat with eBikes/bikes with fenders
I have a Kuat Transfer 1-bike rack with a 2" hitch. It doesn't use a threaded pin and they have a right angle lock available that works if you insert the pin from the right and place the lock on the left. (Mar 2021 Model Y with factory hitch). If the 3-bike rack uses the same type of pin they should be able to set you up with the 90 degree lock.

Reactions: FatherTo1
I have a Kuat Transfer 1-bike rack with a 2" hitch. It doesn't use a threaded pin and they have a right angle lock available that works if you insert the pin from the right and place the lock on the left. (Mar 2021 Model Y with factory hitch). If the 3-bike rack uses the same type of pin they should be able to set you up with the 90 degree lock.
Thanks, @Alan_F! I ordered the 90 degree lock that was linked earlier in this thread but I didn’t think about the integrated cable lock on the Kuat. Did you order two cores?

The rack is arriving today so I’ll see how far I get with all the stock parts. Some of the lock options on the Kuat site indicate Fall 2022 shipping so maybe I’ll make do with two separate keys until things come back in stock. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Kuat rack and factory hitch, it gives me hope!

Here’s the 90 degree lock also arriving today:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009V1WS4?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

But I forgot the Kuat has two locks keyed the same:
Hitch Lock

Kuat V2 3-bike rack arrived today. Took two hours to assemble and test everything out.

Must say I am impressed. The rack looks simple but that’s a reflection of good design. Took it for a quick test drive, folded up, and it is rock solid and rattle free, even over railroad tracks. It doesn’t appear to affect range when folded up and I averaged 223 Wh/m on a 14-mile roundtrip to pick up dinner. I haven’t driven it with bikes yet but definitely expect more range hit when fully loaded.

When installed the lowest part of the shank, near the hitch, has 11.75” of ground clearance and the rearmost edge of the rack is 20” above the ground. This gave plenty of clearance as I backed out of our driveway. Rearward visibility is also excellent with the rack folded up but will be obscured of course when loaded with bikes. Good news is it works with my wife’s cruiser bike with fenders and I’m able to avoid resting the arm on the fender itself. It is recommended though to keep the arm as close to the front fork as possible so next time I may wrap the fender with a microfiber and rest the arm on it. Lastly, I can keep the hitch attached, folded up, and still close the garage.

The only drawback is I can’t reach the foot release when all bikes are loaded. This isn’t really a design flaw as three bikes is just too far away from the foot pedal release and the rack sticks out 42.5” from the rear bumper.

E1C8A29A-FC2B-462E-9478-1A06DFC94C5C.jpeg
751BE641-F3C9-448B-8D58-AF298A1A1D2D.jpeg
822D0DE5-4BD0-40E6-B369-0935356BD371.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hut and jjgg
Thanks, @Alan_F! I ordered the 90 degree lock that was linked earlier in this thread but I didn’t think about the integrated cable lock on the Kuat. Did you order two cores?

The rack is arriving today so I’ll see how far I get with all the stock parts. Some of the lock options on the Kuat site indicate Fall 2022 shipping so maybe I’ll make do with two separate keys until things come back in stock. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Kuat rack and factory hitch, it gives me hope!

Here’s the 90 degree lock also arriving today:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009V1WS4?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

But I forgot the Kuat has two locks keyed the same:
Hitch Lock
When they sent me the right angle lock, they asked me for the code from my built-in cable lock, so they are keyed alike.

Reactions: FatherTo1
Kuat sells a standard hitch lock key-matched to the integrated rack lock, but I shared concerns that the horizontal orientation of the lock may not fit the Y hitch. The rep seemed to be aware of the space limitations of the Tesla OEM hitch and said they have a 90-degree “special model y” lock but it can’t be keyed to match the integrated rack lock, so I’ll still be in a 2-key situation like I am now.

Here’s the standard Kuat hitch pin lock that can be key matched to the rack’s integrated lock, but I fear won’t fit the Tesla OEM hitch. I haven’t tested it myself though:

55D1AFE0-37ED-4360-9B08-DCE80F777594.jpeg

Last edited:
Initially I was going to do the Tesla OEM bike rack. It looks good and holds 4 bikes. My wife and kids like to bike but haven’t had a chance to all bring out bikes.

Prior to checking out, i saw a post on Yakima bike rack that Tesla uses with Tesla sticker instead of Yakima. When I further researched, I found that it’s the same part.

I look to buy a roof rack in the future and a Yakima cargo so I went with Yakima. Weather has been too cold so far here in NJ but will be using it this summer for sure!

Btw it’s the Yakima FullTilt 4. It’s solid.

Kuat V2 3-bike rack arrived today. Took two hours to assemble and test everything out.

Must say I am impressed. The rack looks simple but that’s a reflection of good design. Took it for a quick test drive, folded up, and it is rock solid and rattle free, even over railroad tracks. It doesn’t appear to affect range when folded up and I averaged 223 Wh/m on a 14-mile roundtrip to pick up dinner. I haven’t driven it with bikes yet but definitely expect more range hit when fully loaded.

When installed the lowest part of the shank, near the hitch, has 11.75” of ground clearance and the rearmost edge of the rack is 20” above the ground. This gave plenty of clearance as I backed out of our driveway. Rearward visibility is also excellent with the rack folded up but will be obscured of course when loaded with bikes. Good news is it works with my wife’s cruiser bike with fenders and I’m able to avoid resting the arm on the fender itself. It is recommended though to keep the arm as close to the front fork as possible so next time I may wrap the fender with a microfiber and rest the arm on it. Lastly, I can keep the hitch attached, folded up, and still close the garage.

The only drawback is I can’t reach the foot release when all bikes are loaded. This isn’t really a design flaw as three bikes is just too far away from the foot pedal release and the rack sticks out 42.5” from the rear bumper.

View attachment 789407View attachment 789408View attachment 789409
Thanks!