TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

what bitrate does TuneIn use in the Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by syswei, Jun 24, 2016.

1. syswei

syswei Member

I've understand that Slacker is 128 or 160 kbps but can't find info for TuneIn in the MS.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

If you get the ID/PW from Tesla and log in to the website you can set Slacker to 320 BPS.
    If you use your own free TuneIn account and log in to their site you have a choice of normal or high. Not sure what BPS is associated with high but the sound is good. You have to be logged in using these same ID's in your car for this to sync over.

3. syswei

syswei Member

Thanks for the info, but I'm unable to do either.

For Slacker, my car seems have been set by the factory/delivery center with a username and password; the password isn't visible...is it the same for everyone with a factory login, and could you or someone share it please?

For TuneIn, I was able to create a web accout, but when I tried to login to the car (and tried again today, a day later), I got a message to the effect "Could not log in. Please check email/password".

Msnow or anyone, any help will be appreciated.

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

Email [email protected] along with your VIN and they will send you the Slacker logon info no problem. Each of us have unique ID's for that.

Regarding TuneIn all I can think of is either you have the wrong password or are typing it in wrong. Try it again on the website to confirm. I know this works.

• Informative x 1
  5. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

I primarily use Spotify because of the higher bitrate. I have both a Spotify and a Google Play Music subscription and when playing tracks with Spotify, they are louder and have better sound quality than Google. I just can't listen to 128 or 192 anymore after being spoiled by 320 so good to know that Slacker can be changed to 320 via the web interface.

• Like x 1
  6. syswei

syswei Member

Thanks, msnow.

I'm still unable to login to TuneIn. As you suggested, I confirmed my info by logging in on the desktop. I also tried creating a second account from my PC, using a different email. Still nothing works.

Anyone else have issues logging into TuneIn from their MS?

7. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

TuneIn is a real-time streamer. The bit rate is controlled by the site hosting the stream.

8. msnow

msnow Active Member

I
    It's configurable, see screenshots from my iPhone. The settings follow the profile you're logged in with on any device or browser including the Tesla app. I have no way to confirm the bitrate in the car but I know favorite stations saved in the app show up in the car and the sound is very good.

Attached Files:

9. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

That is simply a request. If a site provides more than stream, the client can "prefer" one over another. But the source totally controls the availabilty of the offered bandwidth of the stream

10. msnow

msnow Active Member

If that were the case it would apply to Slacker and any other streaming service as well. I'll do a test this week to see if there's any noticeable difference and report back. It seems to me the end user is paying the data rate so it would make sense that it's more than a request particularly since it would be cost prohibitive for the provider to provide multiple streams at varying data rates (if that's what your saying).

11. RichardT

RichardT Member

There seems to be a problem logging in to tunein via Tesla at present. I have had correspondence with Tesla tech support over the weekend, and await a response from engineering.

rt

• Helpful x 1
  12. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

Slacker is not a streaming service. It is download a file and play it paradigm. That is why a paused slacker selection will stop when you get out of the car, and restart (roughly) where you left off when returning.

13. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

What does setting the audio quality to "high" do via the music app settings?

14. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

It simply sets a preference for the highest resolution bitrate (quality) available. It demands more performance from the cell radio. It was probably a bigger deal with the older 3G only cell modems. But with LTE being nearly everywhere (not completely true), these days. I see no reasons not to set it to highest bestest quality available. If you regularly travel where the cell signal is marginal, you *might* get fewer dropouts (TuneIn) or shorter pauses between songs (Slacker) if you select lower quality.

15. msnow

msnow Active Member

#15 msnow, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    Slacker advertises itself as a "premier streaming service". In the paid version of TuneIn you can pause and restart too but I have the free version so have never tried it.

16. msnow

msnow Active Member

image.png
    As I remember from one of the subforums here it allows the bandwidth for high to go to 160 KBPS. Here's a screenshot of my Slacker settings logged in with my Tesla ID which shows I was able to select 320 KBPS. It sounds awesome IMHO. Much better and more bandwidth than XM.

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I also cannot login to my TuneIn account. Annoying.

I have also had the problem where it will not update my podcast lists. I actually need to reboot in order to get up-to-the-day lists. Anybody else have this?