Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what bitrate does TuneIn use in the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you get the ID/PW from Tesla and log in to the website you can set Slacker to 320 BPS.
If you use your own free TuneIn account and log in to their site you have a choice of normal or high. Not sure what BPS is associated with high but the sound is good. You have to be logged in using these same ID's in your car for this to sync over.

Thanks for the info, but I'm unable to do either.

For Slacker, my car seems have been set by the factory/delivery center with a username and password; the password isn't visible...is it the same for everyone with a factory login, and could you or someone share it please?

For TuneIn, I was able to create a web accout, but when I tried to login to the car (and tried again today, a day later), I got a message to the effect "Could not log in. Please check email/password".

Msnow or anyone, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks for the info, but I'm unable to do either.

For Slacker, my car seems have been set by the factory/delivery center with a username and password; the password isn't visible...is it the same for everyone with a factory login, and could you or someone share it please?

For TuneIn, I was able to create a web accout, but when I tried to login to the car (and tried again today, a day later), I got a message to the effect "Could not log in. Please check email/password".

Msnow or anyone, any help will be appreciated.

Email [email protected] along with your VIN and they will send you the Slacker logon info no problem. Each of us have unique ID's for that.

Regarding TuneIn all I can think of is either you have the wrong password or are typing it in wrong. Try it again on the website to confirm. I know this works.

• Informative
Reactions: Atlantan
If you get the ID/PW from Tesla and log in to the website you can set Slacker to 320 BPS.
If you use your own free TuneIn account and log in to their site you have a choice of normal or high. Not sure what BPS is associated with high but the sound is good. You have to be logged in using these same ID's in your car for this to sync over.

I primarily use Spotify because of the higher bitrate. I have both a Spotify and a Google Play Music subscription and when playing tracks with Spotify, they are louder and have better sound quality than Google. I just can't listen to 128 or 192 anymore after being spoiled by 320 so good to know that Slacker can be changed to 320 via the web interface.

Reactions: msnow
Thanks, msnow.

I'm still unable to login to TuneIn. As you suggested, I confirmed my info by logging in on the desktop. I also tried creating a second account from my PC, using a different email. Still nothing works.

Anyone else have issues logging into TuneIn from their MS?

I
TuneIn is a real-time streamer. The bit rate is controlled by the site hosting the stream.
It's configurable, see screenshots from my iPhone. The settings follow the profile you're logged in with on any device or browser including the Tesla app. I have no way to confirm the bitrate in the car but I know favorite stations saved in the app show up in the car and the sound is very good.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 90
I

It's configurable, see screenshots from my iPhone. The settings follow the profile you're logged in with on any device or browser including the Tesla app. I have no way to confirm the bitrate in the car but I know favorite stations saved in the app show up in the car and the sound is very good.

That is simply a request. If a site provides more than stream, the client can "prefer" one over another. But the source totally controls the availabilty of the offered bandwidth of the stream

That is simply a request. If a site provides more than stream, the client can "prefer" one over another. But the source totally controls the availabilty of the offered bandwidth of the stream
If that were the case it would apply to Slacker and any other streaming service as well. I'll do a test this week to see if there's any noticeable difference and report back. It seems to me the end user is paying the data rate so it would make sense that it's more than a request particularly since it would be cost prohibitive for the provider to provide multiple streams at varying data rates (if that's what your saying).

If that were the case it would apply to Slacker and any other streaming service as well. I'll do a test this week to see if there's any noticeable difference and report back. It seems to me the end user is paying the data rate so it would make sense that it's more than a request particularly since it would be cost prohibitive for the provider to provide multiple streams at varying data rates (if that's what your saying).

Slacker is not a streaming service. It is download a file and play it paradigm. That is why a paused slacker selection will stop when you get out of the car, and restart (roughly) where you left off when returning.

What does setting the audio quality to "high" do via the music app settings?

It simply sets a preference for the highest resolution bitrate (quality) available. It demands more performance from the cell radio. It was probably a bigger deal with the older 3G only cell modems. But with LTE being nearly everywhere (not completely true), these days. I see no reasons not to set it to highest bestest quality available. If you regularly travel where the cell signal is marginal, you *might* get fewer dropouts (TuneIn) or shorter pauses between songs (Slacker) if you select lower quality.

Slacker is not a streaming service. It is download a file and play it paradigm. That is why a paused slacker selection will stop when you get out of the car, and restart (roughly) where you left off when returning.
Slacker advertises itself as a "premier streaming service". In the paid version of TuneIn you can pause and restart too but I have the free version so have never tried it.

Last edited:
image.png
As I remember from one of the subforums here it allows the bandwidth for high to go to 160 KBPS. Here's a screenshot of my Slacker settings logged in with my Tesla ID which shows I was able to select 320 KBPS. It sounds awesome IMHO. Much better and more bandwidth than XM.