Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What cable for this outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be staying at a hotel that has the 220v outlet below available for customers on a first come, first served basis. I have the cable that came with the car. What additionally will I need to make use of this outlet? Assuming I need to purchase an additional cable, please let me know specifically what to get.

Thank you

EV charger 2.JPG

That's a NEMA 14-50 outlet. Prior to May 2019, the Model 3's all came with this adapter. See if you have this in your mobile connector bag -- if you do, that's all you need. If not, need to order it from Tesla here (Select 14-50): Gen 2 NEMA Adapters - your local Tesla showroom may also have them available for purchase, if you don't want to order online. That's not a guarantee however, so don't shoot me if they don't have one in stock. :)

Screen Shot 2019-06-10 at 2.11.18 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Plug reads NEMA 14-50. As for how many amps is actually on that plug is unknown without looking in the breaker box. Shouldn't be more than 50amps but possible it can be less.

Either way, all that would be needed to attach would be the 14-50 adapter I mentioned above. I'd expect a hotel to have a commercial electrican doing the install, who wouldn't (in theory) put a 50a receptacle on a 40a circuit.

Worst case, you have to dial down the amperage on the Model 3's screen. But I'd shocked if that were necessary.

I'd expect a hotel to have a commercial electrican doing the install, who wouldn't (in theory) put a 50a receptacle on a 40a circuit.
That's a perfectly valid, code-compliant installation, actually.
Worst case, you have to dial down the amperage on the Model 3's screen. But I'd shocked if that were necessary.
You wouldn't have to dial anything down, though, because the newer 2nd generation UMC that all the Model 3s come with can only draw 32A, which is correct for a 40A circuit. These scenarios are probably why they did that.

Reactions: dmurphy
That's a perfectly valid, code-compliant installation, actually.

You wouldn't have to dial anything down, though, because the newer 2nd generation UMC that all the Model 3s come with can only draw 32A, which is correct for a 40A circuit. These scenarios are probably why they did that.

As long as the wire gauge is correct, yes, it’s valid. But why would one cheap out there? If you’re running a 50a receptacle, why not run the proper gauge for the distance?

Anywho ... at a hotel, the only way to find out is by plugging in. If the breaker trips, gotta turn it down a notch. :)

And yes, I forgot the New UMCs top out at 32a. Won’t be an issue even on a 40a circuit.

As long as the wire gauge is correct, yes, it’s valid. But why would one cheap out there? If you’re running a 50a receptacle, why not run the proper gauge for the distance?
Well, if they are long timers who have done mainly house wiring, they have probably put in thousands of kitchen stove outlets. Most stoves seem to be 40A rated appliances, so this setup of a 14-50 outlet on a 40A circuit is done all the time and it's probably what they have the most experience with. So they probably would not think that it's "cheaping out".