TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What cables & home charging solution should I get?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Galpster, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Galpster

Galpster New Member

Hi I hope someone can help me.

I have ordered a Tesla being delivered in March next year hopefully. Have two questions about which cables to buy and which home charging solution to have installed for a vehicle with single charger.

1/ which cables?

We live in Essex and will do a bit of traveling to areas without any supercharger coverage (up A1 / east Anglia). I'm wondering which cables / adapters will give me the best options for charging at non tesla public locations. And where I can get these from?

2/ which home charging solution?

looking at Teslas website they recommend a company called POD to install the home charging equipment that will give a 20+ miles of charge per hour which would be fine for us. there is a free option and one that costs £249. I'm not sure which would be best. Would appreciate your thoughts

thanks

2. tonyj01

tonyj01 Member

#2 tonyj01, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Hi Galp?

I have read this on Tesla site, charging pages

===========

This forum post tries to summarise all the charging options
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29818-Change-to-charging-cables-delivered-with-UK-cars?p=661144&viewfull=1#post661144

BTW, I have been reading a great deal around this subject, I have a 90D on order, due March 2016, now listed as late March/early April. My leased BMW goes back in March so anyone got a spare Tesla to lend me
    :cool:

Also, by March the Tesla wall unit is supposed to be available in UK. My thoughts are that most of an owner's charging must be done at home, day after day, setting out with enough charge for the day, needing cables for longer trips or for staying away, which I hope to do. It seems Tesla are selling many more cars in UK, setting up more superchargers and building a network of destination chargers too.

Regards,

Tony

3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Member

We've just had the free 32 amp 7kw sockets fitted at our houses .
    the advantage of the pod point is it's a tethered cable , but they want wifi to spy on your usage :crying:
    looking for type 2 - type 2 cables for out and about charging not sure about the EVKing tesla type 2 - type 2 being worth the extra money ?

4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Member

Jet ordered a chadamo adapter and a type2 type 2 lead from tesla . £350 and £160 will see what the type 2 cables like