Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What cables & home charging solution should I get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I hope someone can help me.

I have ordered a Tesla being delivered in March next year hopefully. Have two questions about which cables to buy and which home charging solution to have installed for a vehicle with single charger.

1/ which cables?

We live in Essex and will do a bit of traveling to areas without any supercharger coverage (up A1 / east Anglia). I'm wondering which cables / adapters will give me the best options for charging at non tesla public locations. And where I can get these from?

2/ which home charging solution?

looking at Teslas website they recommend a company called POD to install the home charging equipment that will give a 20+ miles of charge per hour which would be fine for us. there is a free option and one that costs £249. I'm not sure which would be best. Would appreciate your thoughts

thanks

Hi Galp?

I have read this on Tesla site, charging pages

What comes standard with Model S?
- A 6 meter long Mobile Connector to connect with the different adapters.
- A Blue adapter for an industrial socket to charge the Model S up to 22 miles of range per hour.
- An adapter with the 3 pin domestic plug to connect to the Mobile Connector and to charge up to 6 miles of range per hour.

What additional charging options are available?
- Type
2 Connector: the Type 2 Connector enables you to charge from a
third-party wall box with a Type 2 socket or at public charging
locations. The charge rate depends on the power source and your on-board
charger.
- CHAdeMO adapter: Take
advantage of the network of CHAdeMO charging stations with the external
adapter. CHAdeMO stations can enable charging up to 150 miles of range
per hour, but vary per location and charger.
- Red adapter for a 3-phase industrial socket to charge the Model S up to 34 miles of range per hour.

===========

This forum post tries to summarise all the charging options
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/29818-Change-to-charging-cables-delivered-with-UK-cars?p=661144&viewfull=1#post661144

BTW, I have been reading a great deal around this subject, I have a 90D on order, due March 2016, now listed as late March/early April. My leased BMW goes back in March so anyone got a spare Tesla to lend me
:cool:

Also, by March the Tesla wall unit is supposed to be available in UK. My thoughts are that most of an owner's charging must be done at home, day after day, setting out with enough charge for the day, needing cables for longer trips or for staying away, which I hope to do. It seems Tesla are selling many more cars in UK, setting up more superchargers and building a network of destination chargers too.

Regards,

Tony

Last edited:
We've just had the free 32 amp 7kw sockets fitted at our houses .
the advantage of the pod point is it's a tethered cable , but they want wifi to spy on your usage :crying:
looking for type 2 - type 2 cables for out and about charging not sure about the EVKing tesla type 2 - type 2 being worth the extra money ?