Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What can I expect on a test drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My test drive was about 25 minutes. They accompanied me but I suspect with the Covid restrictions you’ll take it out on your own.

Remember to take your driving license.

Make sure you floor it, and be sure to throw it around some good bends ;)

And of course, if you order, be sure to use my referral code to get 1000 free Supercharger miles :D

Oh, and don’t @Procrastinate :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc and Akikiki
I’ve managed to secure a test drive of a M3 next week in Leeds. Details are very sparse in the confirmation email. Will I be accompanied, how long will I be allowed to take for the drive. Any other relevant details or tips?

Many thanks.

Mine was back in aug 2019, in Birmingham, so may have changed.

Yes, I was accompanied, think it was ~30mins, person accompanying me was very friendly, knowledgeable, clearly interested in Tesla and EVs himself. It was 1st time I'd driven an EV so was slightly nervous but it's so easy to drive that shouldn't be a concern.

Also expect to finish the test drive circa £40-50k lighter.

Reactions: Akikiki
My test drive was earlier this year, January I think, at Knutsford.

I turned up with my driving licence, they took my details and then took me out to the car park, gave me a 5 minute run-down of the controls and then said 'on your way then!'. The sat-nav had been pre-programmed with a route that was around 15 miles long, was a mix of motorway, A and B roads.

I asked how long I had, they said that they'd check to see where the car was if I wasn't back within 45 - 60 minutes.

Definitely try out the different modes of driving/pedal control. For me that was the main thing I wanted to try out.

And find a quiet bit of road and floor it. It took me a day or so to wipe the grin off my face. Keeps coming back every day now....

Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.
I’ve had a few test drives in Leeds and they’ve all been different.
The first was about a year ago and had about 30 mins accompanied in a MS (didn’t have any M3’s and I wasn’t too sure which to go for).
Second was about an hour unaccompanied so that I could check the M3 would fit in the garage and compare used range against driven etc.
Third was January-ish and it was half an hour unaccompanied again.

If you do need a bit longer to test it on your normal commute for example, they might be able to book two back to back slots for you.

On a side note, I’m hoping you’re not from the five towns area. I seem to be seeing another Tesla every time I go out - not feeling as exclusive now :(:)

We had half an hour unaccompanied on a set route. I drove first 15 mins, swapped over, wife drove back.
She scared the life out of me more so than usual. The route was a mix of speed and handling.
It was tipping it down with rain so we got the briefest of instruction. Had no idea how to turn the radio down. Know better now.
The team were very helpful and tolerant as we were 5 mins late back.
We held out for a week before ordering!

If you are going with a partner don’t scare them witless with the acceleration/speed.

I test drove a model S In 2016 and my wife couldn’t sleep properly for the following 3 nights and we ended up taking our deposit back. Time was a good healer and when I explained that a Model 3 doesn’t have a ludicrous mode I managed to justify a stealth M3.:)

Tbh it was a close shave on the test drive - I was overtaking a bus on a country road and a car turned into our path from a side road. I accelerated rather than brake for some reason (outrun arcade game memory from 80s probably kicked in) but I managed to just miss both. When i backed off I saw I was still doing 95. I guess it could have been a big one so maybe she had a right to worry about me getting one :p.

I’ve managed to secure a test drive of a M3 next week in Leeds. Details are very sparse in the confirmation email. Will I be accompanied, how long will I be allowed to take for the drive. Any other relevant details or tips

I did it in January up in Edinburgh; We walked to the car and was given 50 minutes to take it for a drive. They pre-loaded a route which went from the centre of Edinburgh out to a pub via some country roads and a dual carriageway and back again but they said I could ignore the route and do my own thing if I prefered.

You're unaccompanied so make sure you watch the videos they send you in the email or you'll look like a plonker if you can't put it into drive :) Also remember to bring your driving licence (and if someone else is going with you they need theirs too if they want to drive it).

Have fun - word of warning - make sure your heads on the headrest before flooring it :p

I test drove in May 2020 from Touchwood in Birmingham. Got around 60 mins, and no accompaniment - Just me and the missus. And it. was. fun!

I'll never forget the first drive in a Tesla! Something else entirely!

Same here, the team were really friendly and just said bring it back when your done. Just had to show driving licence.

Can agree for sure you will leave with a lighter bank balance!

I did one of the driving days they did pre-lockdown. I imagine they will start up again soon. Run down of the car in a room, then you’re given a keycard and left to drive a preprogrammed route, with “Home” and “Work” set up as the start and end points.

They initially put me in a SR+ but when I said I was keen on buying a P and that it was the only one I was considering they put me in a LR instead.

When I tried to do the route I got stuck in traffic but mindful of how long I’d been out (30 mins or so) I turned around and came back. I was first back, explained the situation with the traffic to the guy and he just asked if I wanted to go out again, and to just go wherever I wanted. Of course I did.

Driving the i3 home after that felt like a big disappointment, like I was back in “just a regular car” again. Autopilot in particular left a lasting memory, it was far better than I had anticipated it would be, and worked on an A road! (the i3’s closest equivalent “traffic jam assist” only works on motorways, up to 30mph, and provides minimal assistance)

I placed an order that evening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy W.
My test drive was about 25 minutes. They accompanied me but I suspect with the Covid restrictions you’ll take it out on your own.

Remember to take your driving license.

Make sure you floor it, and be sure to throw it around some good bends ;)

And of course, if you order, be sure to use my referral code to get 1000 free Supercharger miles :D

Oh, and don’t @Procrastinate :oops:
Your forgetting your Octopus referral push, do i have to keep reminding you! :p

Anyways, I’m going back to the Octopus referral thread to snipe out a wannabe customer....*Closes door quietly*

I’ve managed to secure a test drive of a M3 next week in Leeds. Details are very sparse in the confirmation email. Will I be accompanied, how long will I be allowed to take for the drive. Any other relevant details or tips?

Many thanks.
I was very fortunate, had an M3P through Solihull Touchwood Tesla unaccompanied for 2 hours which gave me a chance to try it in all different scenarios.
A word of warning though; you will end up ordering one !! (happy to answer any questions you may have and obviously, happy to share my referral code :) )